Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I don't like his partnership with Williamson one bit, especially when facing pacey forwards. Williamson and MYM were a much better combination, and even Saylor and Colo looked a better partnership. For me, the only centre back we have with any recovery pace is Yanga-Mbiwa, so he should play whenever he's available. Williamson to come in when facing an aerial threat, Colo to play otherwise (mainly because he's much better/more intelligent on the ball) and Saylor only in case of emergency. With Yanga-Mbiwa more or less frozen out we're absolutely desperate for another center back who is both commanding in the air and has decent recovery pace.

Mbiwa hasn't done anything to suggest he should start tbh.

Colo's still our most talented CB in my book.

One of the reasons the team sit so deep is the fact the CBs simply cannot handle balls over the top or being isolated in one-on-one situations.

Your mate Souness described Colo's performance as 'solid'

What a reference :lol:  What did Kinnear say?

Souness is an excellent pundit

Really?  I'd expect something more like 'Sopwith is an egglet bandit' from him.

I don't like his partnership with Williamson one bit, especially when facing pacey forwards. Williamson and MYM were a much better combination, and even Saylor and Colo looked a better partnership. For me, the only centre back we have with any recovery pace is Yanga-Mbiwa, so he should play whenever he's available. Williamson to come in when facing an aerial threat, Colo to play otherwise (mainly because he's much better/more intelligent on the ball) and Saylor only in case of emergency. With Yanga-Mbiwa more or less frozen out we're absolutely desperate for another center back who is both commanding in the air and has decent recovery pace.

I disagree. Those games last season where he was partnered in central defense with Williamson were the most solid we have been defensively for quite some time.

I wish he would have just f***ed off to Argentina in the beginning of the summer. The club would've had to buy another centre back and we need to build a solid partnership for the future. He just doesn't seem to care as much these days and he's not going to get any better. Don't get me wrong he's been a great servant for the club and on some occasions he was among the best centre backs in the league. But he is a useless captain as his antics proved mid season with homesickness. How he still is a captain is absolutely beyond me. Well most things concerned with Alan Pardew's decisions are I guess...

I disagree. Those games last season where he was partnered in central defense with Williamson were the most solid we have been defensively for quite some time.

That was 3 games.

That was 3 games.

Even so. First real chance he got to play in his natural position a few weeks running and it was cut short not because it wasn't working, but because Captain Fantastic returned from injury. You say he hasn't done anything to suggest he should start, but in reality we haven't seen anything to suggest he shouldn't.

I wish he would have just f***ed off to Argentina in the beginning of the summer. The club would've had to buy another centre back and we need to build a solid partnership for the future. He just doesn't seem to care as much these days and he's not going to get any better. Don't get me wrong he's been a great servant for the club and on some occasions he was among the best centre backs in the league. But he is a useless captain as his antics proved mid season with homesickness. How he still is a captain is absolutely beyond me. Well most things concerned with Alan Pardew's decisions are I guess...

Jesus Christ on a bike

Moaning about Coloccini is ultimately pointless because he's probably still our best CB. You could argue that Mbiwa should be starting instead which I would be okay with, but really we have needed a dominant CB for two years and have refused to bring one in. I suppose now we'll make do and mend this season then hope the Forest lad turns out to be a gem for next year.

Thing is, you can't buy young players in order for them to develop and increase in value and at the same time expect them to come in and be an experienced first choice in their position.  MYM has everything he needs to go on and be a top class CB but he needs games and experience to achieve this.

If you want someone to come in and be a top class first team player straight away then pay for one, if you want to do things on the cheap hoping for a profit then you need to give your investments game time to mature.

I thought the positioning for the first goal was horrible personally, he needed to trust Williamson.

One of his problems is he doesn't seem to trust anyone around him. He's always covering the left back or his CB partner, but that's also what makes him good. He did a lot of good work yesterday as well as being involved in the goals conceded. Fact is though, because we spend so much time in our own half we are always going to concede goals as the defence is always under pressure.

:thup:

Jesus Christ on a bike

I basically agree with that post TBH, it would have given us a chance to play Mapou and ideally space to buy a partner for him.

That was 3 games.

Even so. First real chance he got to play in his natural position a few weeks running and it was cut short not because it wasn't working, but because Captain Fantastic returned from injury. You say he hasn't done anything to suggest he should start, but in reality we haven't seen anything to suggest he shouldn't.

I have like. Everton Away stands as the worst CB performance i've seen from Newcastle CB.

He's been a regular member in the back 4 that's shipped nearly 130 goals in the last 2 seasons. He's not been culpable for all of them obviously but he's not exactly bullet-proof. He's the captain and is supposed to be the leader out there so he's fair game for (constructive) criticism.

He's been bang average for the last 2 seasons and can't see him getting better unfortunately. Being the best CB we have (debatable) doesn't mean that much tbh. 

That was 3 games.

I have like. Everton Away stands as the worst CB performance i've seen from Newcastle CB.

Colo was just as bad that game, if not worse :lol:

Jesus Christ on a bike

And?

I've seen Colo have great games. Mbiwa has been solid at best.

Colo has had over 200 games for us in central defence. How many has Mbiwa had? Twenty? Also, it's been quite a while ago that Colo has had great games for us consistently, and if he hadn't been awarded a very long bedding in period (that Yanga-Mbiwa is apparently not entitled to), including a season in the Championship, he wouldn't have even had those. Apart from experience I really fail to see what Coloccini offers nowadays that Yanga-Mbiwa doesn't, only one will only go downhill from here and the other has the potential to be a key player for years to come. :dontknow:

If we had some genuine fret i would be happy to try Mbiwa at CB instead of Colo. But generally, I've seen nothing from the lad. Zilch. A fair turn of pace tis all.

I'm sure he'll get a chance - Saylor and Colo are rather injury prone at this stage. But I don't get the clamour for his inclusion. He's shown nothing.

Colo still shows he can read the game and be a calming indulgence. Mbiwa? Nothing.

Colo got mugged in the air for the goal too. Based on performances this season it's a no-brainer. Reputation and status will keep Colo in the side.

What's changed? :dontknow:

as you know I'm not Colo's biggest fan but with all the changes in the final Third, I would go with the tired and tested for now. He tends to start league seasons well anyway.  When it gets a bit cold he seems to go off the boil.

I don't have any faith in Mbiwa too. I know he'll get a chance but I'm in no rush to see him out there.

He's been a regular member in the back 4 that's shipped nearly 130 goals in the last 2 seasons. He's not been culpable for all of them obviously but he's not exactly bullet-proof. He's the captain and is supposed to be the leader out there so he's fair game for (constructive) criticism.

He's been bang average for the last 2 seasons and can't see him getting better unfortunately. Being the best CB we have (debatable) doesn't mean that much tbh. 

I agree with that, I think part of the problem is that Coloccini isn't the type of player who likes playing constantly under pressure.  I still think he would excel if we played a more positive style of football but it's never going to happen under Pardew.