Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Colo got mugged in the air for the goal too. Based on performances this season it's a no-brainer. Reputation and status will keep Colo in the side.

What's changed? :dontknow:

as you know I'm not Colo's biggest fan but with all the changes in the final Third, I would go with the tired and tested for now. He tends to start league seasons well anyway.  When it gets a bit cold he seems to go off the boil.

I don't have any faith in Mbiwa too. I know he'll get a chance but I'm in no rush to see him out there.

Tried and tested? :lol: if anything Williamson and Yanga-Mbiwa was tried and tested at that stage, yet cuntface had to break it up at the first instance and we've been a shambles at the back ever since. You're going on like Mapou is a 19 year old who's only just joined the club.

Edit: ah, you said tired and tested. We may be in agreement after all :p

Colo got mugged in the air for the goal too. Based on performances this season it's a no-brainer. Reputation and status will keep Colo in the side.

What's changed? :dontknow:

as you know I'm not Colo's biggest fan but with all the changes in the final Third, I would go with the tired and tested for now. He tends to start league seasons well anyway.  When it gets a bit cold he seems to go off the boil.

I don't have any faith in Mbiwa too. I know he'll get a chance but I'm in no rush to see him out there.

Tried and tested? :lol: if anything Williamson and Yanga-Mbiwa was tried and tested at that stage, yet cuntface had to break it up at the first instance and we've been a shambles at the back ever since. You're going on like Mapou is a 19 year old who's only just joined the club.

3 games though? It's not like he was excellent either. I agree he didn't deserve to get dropped but I'm confident in saying Colo remains the superior defender of the two currently.

If Pardew had any sense he would've given. Him Arun when we had nothing to play for. 

I don't like his partnership with Williamson one bit, especially when facing pacey forwards. Williamson and MYM were a much better combination, and even Saylor and Colo looked a better partnership. For me, the only centre back we have with any recovery pace is Yanga-Mbiwa, so he should play whenever he's available. Williamson to come in when facing an aerial threat, Colo to play otherwise (mainly because he's much better/more intelligent on the ball) and Saylor only in case of emergency. With Yanga-Mbiwa more or less frozen out we're absolutely desperate for another center back who is both commanding in the air and has decent recovery pace.

Mbiwa hasn't done anything to suggest he should start tbh.

Colo's still our most talented CB in my book.

I disagree. Those games last season where he was partnered in central defense with Williamson were the most solid we have been defensively for quite some time.

That was 3 games.

Even so. First real chance he got to play in his natural position a few weeks running and it was cut short not because it wasn't working, but because Captain Fantastic returned from injury. You say he hasn't done anything to suggest he should start, but in reality we haven't seen anything to suggest he shouldn't.

I have like. Everton Away stands as the worst CB performance i've seen from Newcastle CB.

You haven't been watching us long then. Or you have but without paying attention.

Since those three games you keep mentioning (2 goals conceeded in total vs Man City, Chelsea and Spurs) we have played 29 competitive fixtures letting in 47 goals, mainly playing Williamson + Coloccini or Williamson + Saylor. Tried and tested indeed.

Since those three games you keep mentioning (2 goals conceeded in total vs Man City, Chelsea and Spurs) we have played 29 competitive fixtures letting in 47 goals, mainly playing Williamson + Coloccini or Williamson + Saylor. Tried and tested indeed.

:lol: "Don't play MYM because of that one performance in which the entire defense played terribly, but stick with the defense that's consistently been horrible."

As others have said, the pairing of Williamson/Coloccini lacks pace, which leads to them being caught out. MYM provides that, at the very least, while also being good on the ball.

One of the reasons the team sit so deep is the fact the CBs simply cannot handle balls over the top or being isolated in one-on-one situations.

Your mate Souness described Colo's performance as 'solid'

I've gone record saying if Souness was on fire I'd pass him some lighter fluid, so where this garbage has relevance is anyone's guess.

I think it's a bit unfair to say the first goal was his fault. Williamson was caught out by the ball over the top so Colo had to go with Dzeko , when Williamson saw that Colo had covered Dzeko,he should have covered for Colo 's original position in the middle and let Colo deal with Dzeko IMO.

For the second I thought he did well initially to keep Aguero from turning onto his right but didn't anticipate the rebound at all which was an error.

I can't comment on his performance in general because I only saw highlights

We need to refresh our CB position. Coloccini,Williamson and Saylor have been in the club for long time and its surprise me how some still think they worth something,it won't happen this season but hope they won't be here next summer

I think it's a bit unfair to say the first goal was his fault. Williamson was caught out by the ball over the top so Colo had to go with Dzeko , when Williamson saw that Colo had covered Dzeko,he should have covered for Colo 's original position in the middle and let Colo deal with Dzeko IMO.

For the second I thought he did well initially to keep Aguero from turning onto his right but didn't anticipate the rebound at all which was an error.

I can't comment on his performance in general because I only saw highlights

Actually now that I see it again why was he so far behind the rest of the defence in the defensive line on the second goal ?

Not that I'm that fussed either way, but the way some people have talked about Mbiwa in here is weird. He's 25, and played nearly 200 games for Montpellier - not to mention he's actually been at Newcastle for a while. It would hardly be rushing him in.

It wasn't solely his fault, Silva's goal was a calamity of errors from all 3 involved.

Colo included.

I don't think he did much wrong at all really for the first. He should have probably shouted at Williamson to cover him but Williamson should have known anyway when he saw Colo with Dzeko

I thought the positioning for the first goal was horrible personally, he needed to trust Williamson.

Seems to be a lack of trust and communication right throughout the defense, even Krul looked nervous and  hesitant coming off his line that lead to a few close calls.

Can't believe people are excusing him for that first goal because it was brilliant play by Dzeko.

He had his back to goal, only one player needed to go to him, it's that simple.

And because Williamson was out of position Colo was closest to Dzeko so had to go to him

I thought the positioning for the first goal was horrible personally, he needed to trust Williamson.

Seems to be a lack of trust and communication right throughout the defense, even Krul looked nervous and  hesitant coming off his line that lead to a few close calls.

Just watched the goals. The first is Williamson's fault, Dzeko is Coloccini's man. Colo has to come across with Dzeko, and as soon as the ball gets behind Willo he should have bust a gut to cover Colo. Instead, he gets in his way. There's an argument that maybe Colo does not communicate well enough, and obviously that someone should have tracked back with Silva, but i'd say Willo is more at fault than Colo.

Just watched the goals. The first is Williamson's fault, Dzeko is Coloccini's man. Colo has to come across with Dzeko, and as soon as the ball gets behind Willo he should have bust a gut to cover Colo. Instead, he gets in his way. There's an argument that maybe Colo does not communicate well enough, and obviously that someone should have tracked back with Silva, but i'd say Willo is more at fault than Colo.

:thup: All Colo is at fault for is lack of communication and Williamson shouldn't have needed to be shouted at to cover Colo anyway

If Dzeko is Colo's man then he gets away from him far too easily anyway. It's amazing how many people just want to put their head in the sand and pretend we don't have one of the worst defences in the division.