Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

It's not the fault of the player that we didn't replace him this season or that he's no longer capable of playing to his best.  I can't blame anybody for our current situation other than Ashley, Charnley, Carr and McClaren.

Extending his contract was abysmal at the time and it seems to be even worse now.

And Newcastle captain Coloccini insists Benitez has changed things at the club in “the right way” - but has simply run out of time.

Asked about the impact Benitez has made in just two short months, the 34-year-old Argentine replied: “We changed a lot of things. We changed the right way.

“Maybe it was too late, and that’s why we are in this position.”

From the horse's mouth. McClaren was a useless twat and Rafa is the real deal.

• 3 weeks later...

No problem with him getting a new deal at the time. The length of it was wrong and that he remained first choice for much of it was wrong.

He signed a new deal last summer.

Awful decision.

Good news for me, I didn't like some people talking about keeping him and Taylor for a season in the championship. The latter will be clinging on for dear life though.

Starting his San Lorenzo patter again. Bye.

Tbh the Colo I'll remember is the quality one we had for a few seasons following previous relegation. Shame it's ended this way.

The same. He was a great player for NUFC for a good period of time. The decline and general lack of interest have been evident for a while, though. It is flagrant that he was theoretically still an important part of the team.