Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Have to say though, although it was a good cross, if it didn't have Ba on the end of it then it might not have been so good...

He clearly looked up and saw the position Ba was in, and played the perfect ball, and so it was a great cross.

Have to say though, although it was a good cross, if it didn't have Ba on the end of it then it might not have been so good...

ba done tremendously well to get anything on it like, not taking out away from obertan tho because i think he definitely had one of his better games to day

Genuinely thought he was quite good tonight, relatively.

:lol: I was very pleasantly impressed as well. 

He played very high up the pitch tonight, was level with the strikers most times we broke forward.  Had a fantastic game imo, well done Gabriel.

It almost seems like he's better suited for away games for the counter attack. Be good to see him start to open teams up at home with his confidence up a bit. Maybe we'll see him really go for the full back on saturday. Pleased he did well last night though.

Was really encouraging to see him actually run at the full back with confidence last night, hopefully that assist will have given him a bit of a boost. Shame he didn't put away that chance late on, was a decent effort and had it gone he'd have been buzzing off his face going into the Everton game next weekend.

I said it when people were writing him off a half dozen games intio his time here.

With him and Jonas in the team, we have excellent out ball, or relief from defending. people who can run along ball down, or get a ball and run 50yds with it.  Theres not a lot of these players around.

Tonight was the perfect game for him, plenty of opportunities for him to utilise his pace on the counter attack.

If he really wants to become a Premiership winger, he'll need to be able to break teams down when they come to SJP hoping to nick a point.

totally agree with this, beating a defensive four who are standing on the half way line to a ball over the top is meat and drink to him, it's when we're at home and breaking teams down that he needs to improve. delighted for him that he was so effective last night though, and massive credit to pardew for utilising him properly. it works both ways though and if obertan continues to look blunt at home then marveuax should get more of a chance.

He had his best game for us last night. He had a very good first half but was marked out of the second, but still made some good runs and was able to help us relieve a lot of pressure, which as important because Jonas was basically playing as a second left-back last night. He's improving slowly, but at least he's improving. I still think Marveaux would be a better option in the short-term because we won't really know how good Obertan is until a couple of years from now when he'll have had plenty of chances to make his mark.

He had his best game for us last night. He had a very good first half but was marked out of the second, but still made some good runs and was able to help us relieve a lot of pressure, which as important because Jonas was basically playing as a second left-back last night. He's improving slowly, but at least he's improving. I still think Marveaux would be a better option in the short-term because we won't really know how good Obertan is until a couple of years from now when he'll have had plenty of chances to make his mark.

This is the problem I have with Jonas as the second left back (And yes it worked). Other teams will now look to close down Obertan and gamble on no or little threat coming from the left.

Of course I do however have full faith in Pardew getting it right, but its still a worry. (The worries you have been third :lol: )

This is the problem I have with Jonas as the second left back (And yes it worked). Other teams will now look to close down Obertan and gamble on no or little threat coming from the left.

Of course I do however have full faith in Pardew getting it right, but its still a worry. (The worries you have been third :lol: )

:lol:

If teams try to close down Obertan and forget about Jonas then that's going to benefit us considering Jonas has created more goals for us this season and has scored, Obertan has made one goal and scored none.

Not bad for a "second left back."