Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Its sad to say it, but I told you so. Obertan has serious mental issues, he doubts himself all the time which leads him to do shitty mistakes and almost never tries to beat a man, this was questioned when manu picked him up, and again when Newcastle picked him up, old rednose was right in getting rid of him. The total lack of any vision or football intelligence just blows my mind.

Guest palnese

He needs to learn how to make decisions quicker.

I know it's not a good timing to say so, but in fact he's much better than the start of the season. Still frustrating though.

Nothing to do with his decision making - he doesn't have a trick. Thats his problem.

Write off.

Doesn't matter. Look at Valencia at Man Utd. He's not got a single trick in him, but always beats the fullback on pace. Obertan lacks a footballing brain.

He needs to learn how to make decisions quicker.

I know it's not a good timing to say so, but in fact he's much better than the start of the season. Still frustrating though.

Nothing to do with his decision making - he doesn't have a trick. Thats his problem.

Write off.

Doesn't matter. Look at Valencia at Man Utd. He's not got a single trick in him, but always beats the fullback on pace. Obertan lacks a footballing brain.

He can cross. Lightbulb heed can't. Valencia knocks it past the fullback and whips in a cross. Obertan can't do that as he's not got any consistent cross on him.

Its sad to say it, but I told you so. Obertan has serious mental issues, he doubts himself all the time which leads him to do shitty mistakes and almost never tries to beat a man, this was questioned when manu picked him up, and again when Newcastle picked him up, old rednose was right in getting rid of him. The total lack of any vision or football intelligence just blows my mind.

Yep, we were well warned and everyone was hoping that given regular starts he'd develop, but all he's done so far is prove the doubters right. I think what infuriates me most is he does track back, but he does it half heartedly and never actually gets a tackle in. If he was valuable defensively, the lack of end product wouldn't be so annoying.

He just looks so passionless, whether it's attacking or defending. Never really goes into a tackle at all, just fucks about with the ball without really doing anything. How about just beating the defender ffs, when you know you'll get the better of him with your pace. Really starting to annoy me.

I have no problem with his lack of ability and wanting to take a man on, some players are just shit. However, I cannot accept his shit workrate, his total lack of defensive application and constant bottling of challenges. Fair enough if he was like Robert and winning us game after game but he's done little to even warrant his place in the team nevermind winning us games.

There was instance towards the end where their left sided player got the ball back down near our goal line and he just let him make space and whip the ball in to our box. Tony 'drivel' Gale called him on this too. This would be bad enough normally but given what had happened from previous crosses it was absolutely unforgivable.

Guest bluegeordie

I have no problem with his lack of ability and wanting to take a man on, some players are just shit. However, I cannot accept his shit workrate, his total lack of defensive application and constant bottling of challenges. Fair enough if he was like Robert and winning us game after game but he's done little to even warrant his place in the team nevermind winning us games.

There was instance towards the end where their left sided player got the ball back down near our goal line and he just let him make space and whip the ball in to our box. Tony 'drivel' Gale called him on this too. This would be bad enough normally but given what had happened from previous crosses it was absolutely unforgivable.

I said something similar in the post-match discussion.

In a team that has shown a lot of heart this season, there's simply no excuse for not having one.

I'd be surprised if he hasn't been taken to task about this in post-match debriefings - by teammates if not the manager - but there's no evidence that he's learnt from any criticism that he might have received.

He must be mighty relieved that Wor Joey has moved on ... 

i was just reading an article last night about obertan, the story of how he was brought up in a middle class family, and fergie came calling to sign potato head whilst he was just 15 tender years of age, but obertan was such a goodboy he decided to listen to his mom's advice and finish his education before moving clubs,

then after a horrible season out on loan to some obscure french side that i cant recall, fergie came back calling again and oberton now 20 years of age agrees to move to join old rednose at manutd,

the article was very favourable towards obertan, going on about how he studied at university and can speak five languages,

and there's me thinking hey this chap is probably pretty smart,  and then today i watch him play football like he left his head in the changing room.  where was our big time university boy at? 

shocking.   

Guest bluegeordie

i was just reading an article last night about obertan, the story of how he was brought up in a middle class family, and fergie came calling to sign potato head whilst he was just 15 tender years of age, but obertan was such a goodboy he decided to listen to his mom's advice and finish his education before moving clubs,

then after a horrible season out on loan to some obscure french side that i cant recall, fergie came back calling again and oberton now 20 years of age agrees to move to join old rednose at manutd,

the article was very favourable towards obertan, going on about how he studied at university and can speak five languages,

and there's me thinking hey this chap is probably pretty smart,  and then today i watch him play football like he left his head in the changing room.  where was our big time university boy at? 

shocking.   

It's just a pity that one of those languages doesn't appear to be football ...

something i pointed out earlier on in the season, he likes to play the ball on the deck, he's not a winger who wants to hit the by line and sling it over. he has on a few occasions (fulham i think, blackburn and maybe wigan, arsenal also i think) set up decent chances playing decent balls from the edge of the box, wide , back to the edge to be met with poor finishes. he's not helped recently by fuck all happening from elsewhere in midfield( ina similar way he gives fuck asll help to ben arfa when he has the ball). sod all movement aprt from ba.

I think what annoys me is that i have seen him at times look absolutely rapid. So when he has the ball on the wing against a defender who was raped by Walcott's pace only recently and decides not to try and go past him, then that is just so infuriating to watch.

Ben Arfa does not have the sprint speed of Obertan but you know for a fact he would have taken on the defender as would sammy.

something i pointed out earlier on in the season, he likes to play the ball on the deck, he's not a winger who wants to hit the by line and sling it over. he has on a few occasions (fulham i think, blackburn and maybe wigan, arsenal also i think) set up decent chances playing decent balls from the edge of the box, wide , back to the edge to be met with poor finishes. he's not helped recently by f*** all happening from elsewhere in midfield( ina similar way he gives f*** asll help to ben arfa when he has the ball). sod all movement aprt from ba.

to be fair i remember on a few occasions he did get the ball and dribbled up field having absolutely no one near him to pass to, i thought to myself , where is our movement, fair enough i gave him the benefit of the doubt,

but alot of other times when he had space to pass to another teamate that was vacant he just kept onto the ball far too long and lost it. 

right now he is what a call a luxury player,  he can dazzle and have some moments but most of the time he's just a liability,

my biggest complaint with him is his lack of conviction when it comes to tracking back,  he does try to run back and get into positions to cover, but then he shirks away from 50/50 challenges, like a little girly man,  there's no place for that in the premier league,  you need courage and agression to survive in this league.

you know what?  obertan is your typical arsene wenger type of player.  quick, fast, dazzling at time, love the one-twos, love to dribble, but cant cross to save their lives and no final ball, big pansy when it comes to physical challenges, and mentally vulnerable.

something i pointed out earlier on in the season, he likes to play the ball on the deck, he's not a winger who wants to hit the by line and sling it over. he has on a few occasions (fulham i think, blackburn and maybe wigan, arsenal also i think) set up decent chances playing decent balls from the edge of the box, wide , back to the edge to be met with poor finishes. he's not helped recently by f*** all happening from elsewhere in midfield( ina similar way he gives f*** asll help to ben arfa when he has the ball). sod all movement aprt from ba.

to be fair i remember on a few occasions he did get the ball and dribbled up field having absolutely no one near him to pass to, i thought to myself , where is our movement, fair enough i gave him the benefit of the doubt,

but alot of other times when he had space to pass to another teamate that was vacant he just kept onto the ball far too long and lost it. 

right now he is what a call a luxury player,  he can dazzle and have some moments but most of the time he's just a liability,

my biggest complaint with him is his lack of conviction when it comes to tracking back,  he does try to run back and get into positions to cover, but then he shirks away from 50/50 challenges, like a little girly man,  there's no place for that in the premier league,  you need courage and agression to survive in this league.

you know what?  obertan is your typical arsene wenger type of player.  quick, fast, dazzling at time, love the one-twos, love to dribble, but cant cross to save their lives and no final ball, big pansy when it comes to physical challenges, and mentally vulnerable.

didn't see the game today but he heard he missed a massive chance to set up an unmarked ba and his defensive work often seem better at home.

didn't see the game today but he heard he missed a massive chance to set up an unmarked ba and his defensive work often seem better at home.

i saw that chance, to be fair it wasnt exactly a nailed on goal even if he managed to pass that ball,

Ba was near the opposite of the flank whilst potatohead was on the other side with a norwich defender in between so it would had needed a decent technique to get ball to Ba, wasnt that easy,  especially potatohead was running flat out,  he tried to slow down and look for the pass but by that time he was already caught up by the defender and lost out.