Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He was the best player on the pitch by a mile yesterday. However the ability to get away from opposition defenders and carry the ball forward in any sort of incisive thrust into opposing territory will risk losing possession and will not be tolerated by Pardew.

Until he reverts to his old way of turning round and passing it back or sideways to where the mass of our defensive formation is he will have no chance of starting a game.

He's always been decent in low-pressure situations like a meaningless friendly.

Stick in front of a crowd at SJP in a PL game, when we're chasing a goal, and he turns to fucking mush.

25 years old this year. Some human beings just take longer to mature, and find that confidence. I'd be delighted if that turns out to be the case with him. Looks a lot more physical, and wasn't as tentative, using his strength more. I liked that a lot.

Guest firetotheworks

It's honestly laughable that anyone would even give this lad an inch of scope to become anything other than he is. Even when he's playing with confidence he's an absolutely nothing player. At least with Shola you could argue that on his day he was admittedly and oddly very good. On Obertan's day, he'll beat one or two players on the break and we might create a chance....in the Europa League or the League Cup.

Good on him that he's done reasonably well this preseason but the fact is he shouldn't have got anywhere near the pitch time he has had. Didn't he leave SJP once last season when he found out he wasn't in the match day squad. I'd love to hear what Ben Arfa has done to Pardew to have been frozen out whilst we continue to give valuable minutes to a player we know isn't good enough and hasn't acted professionally (either?)

He wont be good enough. I'll eat my s*** and throw it up and eat it again if he has a great season. People don't have a problem with his preseason, the problem is that they/i see that Pards will play him in many games despite not being up for it, just cause he's played well against poor players/ in friendlies

quoted just in case  :shifty:

Like 2girl1cup but better.

He has put in the gym work and bulked up considerably, which seems to have helped. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a game in the coming season.

I'd give him another chance. Him & Ben Arfa are separate situations, fair play to him for staying determined.

Tbf who's to say Ben Arfa's any less determined? From what I've read it seems he's more determined than almost all of the rest of the squad, only one with balls any way.

I think Obertan is just terrible at playing in any competitive game. He plays ok-ish when there is literally zero pressure on him. Pressure = stops trying to take people on, takes a second touch, generally fucks up a lot.

He should go play in the Championship and tear the place up.

According to the live broadcast article on the Ronny Gill website, this guy is being scouted by two clubs at the moment. Maybe Pards has had him in the shop window lately.

Actually seems like he is using his brain, bigging him up and putting him in the shop window. Hard to believe he would be that cunning though. More likely he is forcing his way back into he starting lineup.