Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He's s****, man.

Based on what?

I've seen him a few times for Man United. But in all fairness to him, getting more football could do good things for him. He was highly rated in France was he not?

Was indeed. Underwhelming to say the least but I dont think anyone can judge him based on the limited opportunity he's had over the past year or so. Wish I had faith in the idea he's Routledge's replacement.

Call me a cynic, but if we sign Obertan, I can realistically see Jonas being on the way out.

:lol:

So we've gone from whinging about no new signings, to complaining about the signigns being rubbish, to exclaiming that it will mean players leaving.

Don't you guys get tired of worrying.

Give yourself a break.

Wow!

Would rather gamble on someone like him than go for someone like SWP.

This, basically. Got to say I've never been impressed when seeing him play though.

He was impressive on the one occasion i have seen him, my mates are Ma Utd fans, and reckon he needs an arm around him and regular first team football, a little like Taraabt.

Resale value. If he doesn't make it like Routledge we can easy sell him to someone. Think he's better than Routledge, but can see us playing him beside Ba with our current lineup.

Rather him than Gibson, still would have preferred Manu's diouff.

Lads. I've seen him every time he's played including this years pre-season. He's been impressive about twice in competitive play. Once in the league cup and the other in the CL against Wolfsburg (a game where Owen scored a hat trick). His debut consisted of him missing from 4 yards out, shooting when he should be squaring and running straight out of play with the ball when under no pressure. It hasn't got much better since then.

He's not a good player. We'd snap your hand off to recoup the money for him.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Definitely fast as fuck. I just found he had little idea what to do with the ball when he had a hold of it.

so people complaining about no signings now complaining about a possible signing?

give the guy a chance (if its true)

What kind of logic is that? Of course we want new players, but that doesn't meen we want shit.

thing is how does anyone know for certain he's shit? Not getting regular games for Man U (especially with Nani and Valencia as competition) does not mean he's utter shit. It would be a gamble but why not give him a go, a regular run of games could be exactly what he needs

I'm not that negative...He's born in 89, although he looks not less than  30 years old.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkNHQGueOyl637FIjCC_XgGE4Gp2KZ6FaDKAjGjC9C_XaMf_Yk

On the other hand, the wiki report about his career in France is not that impressive.

After spending only a year in the reserves, in 2006–07 Obertan signed his first professional contract where he was given the number 26 shirt for the senior squad, signing a three-year contract.[6] On 30 September 2006, at the age of 17 he made his professional debut, playing the last 15 minutes of a 2–0 defeat to Valenciennes.[7] He scored his first goal on 22 April 2007 against Saint-Étienne in a 2–0 away league victory, netting during injury time to seal the win.[8] He made 17 league appearances and a total of 23 matches scoring one goal during his debut season.[9]

The following season, he signed a contract extension[10] and his playing time increased to 37 matches and three goals, though he was still limited to mostly substitute appearances.[11] For the first half of the 2008–09 season, his play was limited again, though he impressed as he scored a brace in Bordeaux's 4–2 win over Guingamp in the Coupe de la Ligue on 11 November 2008.[12] With Bordeaux contending for a title and Obertan not likely to receive playing time, Blanc decided to loan him out to fellow Ligue 1 side Lorient for the rest of the season, where Blanc believed the player would receive more playing time.[13]

Obertan scored his first goal for Lorient on 24 January 2009, netting the first in a 2–1 home win over Tours in the Coupe de France campaign.[14] Obertan netted his only league goal for Lorient in a 3–1 away win over Grenoble on 4 April.[15] During his loan spell at Lorient, Obertan made a total of 17 appearances scoring two goals.[16]

In other words: he's never been a regular starter..But if he comes cheap, I have no objections. Although he should not be given a 5 year contract..

When you're getting no games at all, having nani, park, giggs, etc in front of you then I bet your confidence takes a severe hit. Especially when he's pretty young.

He has pace, talent and skill, it's just he's had no real opportunity to get his foot in the door at arguably the best team in the world.

We can offer him the chance he needs and even if he doesn't work out, the fee doesn't seem to be big anyway.

Win win situation, in my opinion.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

He sounds like a good player judging by their forums, they'd prefer him to go away on loan so obviously don't want to loose him.

At the end of the day our squad is thin and i'm sure this lad has got a few things to prove.

good opportunity in my view.

Problem with any bigger signing under Ashley is that, they really need to be quality. Who know's if more players are signing. Also,  this certainly will keep us from signing Barnetta. Horrible buy imo.