Erik Pieters

Dave

from what I`ve read on a few Dutch forums, he`s pretty average and probably just the best of an average bunch of left backs the Netherlands have. They are hoping Van Aarnholt makes the step up....would rather we went for the latter but probably not realistic (loan at most)

from what I`ve read on a few Dutch forums, he`s pretty average and probably just the best of an average bunch of left backs the Netherlands have. They are hoping Van Aarnholt makes the step up....would rather we went for the latter but probably not realistic (loan at most)

Can't disagree, not that Chelsea would entertain the idea, but a Paddy Van and Sturridge double deal would be perfect for us.

Can't disagree, not that Chelsea would entertain the idea, but a Paddy Van and Sturridge double deal would be perfect for us.

Probably the two players I want the most (from a somewhat realistic point of view).

I've seen plenty of him and he is not that good. The fact that he's in the Dutch team doesn't mean anything, except Holland has no capable LB. Average, maybe decent at best.

In other words, no real replacement for Enrique? At best, a back-up?

Yes, I can imagine we might sign a Dutch international as, at the very best, a back up player.

↲why would a dutch international come to be a backup?

I've seen plenty of him and he is not that good. The fact that he's in the Dutch team doesn't mean anything, except Holland has no capable LB. Average, maybe decent at best.

Yes, I can imagine we might sign a Dutch international as, at the very best, a back up player.

He was being sarcastic. Obviously it's daft to think he's coming here if we keep Enrique.

I think he is the type of player that will adapt well to the PL from the little i've seen of him. Will be more constructive going forward than Danny Simpson and can put a good cross in. Not the defender Enrique is though. Satisfied with the signing, as long as it is a good price no more than 5 million.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I know it's hardly a reason for signing a player, but didn't Tiote struggle to make the first team at Twente?

Wasn't he used to come on and close out games? Or something.

Guest dogbeak

not as fast as enrique, and i don't think as much going forward, but a good full-back nonetheless. mate at work who has season tickets for utrecht (where pieters started his career) says he would be a steal.

i'd be happy enough with him, especially as i get the impression that talk of a fee of 8-10m euros is overdoing it a bit.

edit: and apparently he's good mates with krul, which is nice.

He was being sarcastic. Obviously it's daft to think he's coming here if we keep Enrique.

I wasn't being sarcastic in my responds at all. By the sound of it, I'd take most of us would prefer Enrique over Pieters any day. If he brought in as back-up for Enrique, assuming that is the case, it all good and well. If, on the other hand, he's brought in to replace Enrique, I'd be disappointed.

Eventhough punk77 says:

Enrique wasn't solid the first couple of seasons either..But because of regular football, he became good..

this does not justify the replacement signing. We need a backup, not a replacement. We need to keep what we have, build on that, and have consistency in the back-four. If we are looking at a replacement we should be looking at someone with the same ability as Enrique, not someone who needs 'a couple of seasons' to adapt. We can't afford that.

Where do you suggest we find a LB of Enrique's quality?

Pieters could turn out to be just as good. It's not like we're looking at Neil Taylor as a replacement.

Also, Enrique doesn't want to be here. He's made that clear for a long time now. I think we're handling this pretty well - making sure we get a fair price, finding a replacement before he's gone, etc.

Pieters could turn out to be just as good. It's not like we're looking at Neil Taylor as a replacement.

Also, Enrique doesn't want to be here. He's made that clear for a long time now. I think we're handling this pretty well - making sure we get a fair price, finding a replacement before he's gone, etc.

Replacement for Enrique: Cheikh M'Bengue.

Also, we should've had a contingency plan in place a long long time ago.

Replacement for Enrique: Cheikh M'Bengue.

Also, we should've had a contingency plan in place a long long time ago.

How much have you watched Cheikh M'Bengue?

How much have you watched Erik Pieters?

Can the board win with some of you?

If Enrique left and Ferguson or Kadar were expected to step up there'd be an uproar, but we're seemingly seeking a replacement before Jose inevitably does leave and that still isn't good enough for some of you.

He's a Dutch international, a regular for a very good European team but because one or two forum members and a few from other message boards don't think he's the next Paolo Maldini then we're either buying him as a back up or we shouldn't be buying him at all.

It was the same with the Obertan deal. So many critics. He's young, talented, settled in the North of England, perhaps has a point to prove to some, is pacy, skillful and cheap, yet there were still a large section of you who weren't pleased. Who on earth were you expecting us to try and sign?

Wake up! Is there any fucking wonder some sections of the press paint us to be this set of deluded, over-expectant morons?

Don't get me wrong, if Jose wanted to sign a new deal then I'd take him as our LB over Pieters any day but he isn't going to and will be leaving. If the replacement is a young lad, deemed good enough for the Dutch national team then he should be good enough for us, especially given the alternatives of Bridge and fucking Shorey. Jesus fucking christ.