Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

Who else is after a left back and has £8-10m to spare?

Arsenal?

They're short at the minute, but thats just Santos and Gibbs being injured. All I can think of is Spurs wanting to upgrade Assou-Ekotto (who I think is good) or maybe even Sunderland. But thats it.

Seems like tactics to get Simpson to accept his deal ("you're not indispensable, Danny boooooy"). Would be massively surprised but very pleased if it came off.

Expect one central defender, and no more this window (unless there are outgoings which is a very real possibility).

Here is said tweet from Douglas:

Mark Douglas

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

No bid made for Aly Cissokho from #nufc, despite 'French reports'. Defender is in the UK but Toon not in yet. Would cost £10m plus I reckon

What a fucking hopelessly worded tweet. Sigh.

Presumably means that the defender we want is based in the UK? Not 'Cissokho is in the UK'. Would he really be over here if we haven't commenced in any sort of negotiation with the club?

That said, Lyon don't have a game until the 14th of January.

Either way, i'd be absolutely ecstatic to see us sign a good left-back. I've only seen Santon a couple of times but i've got a great feeling about him. I really like how he is on the ball. He's looked a touch wayward positionally but i honestly think (just to go round in circles) it's because he's not meant for the left-hand-side. From an attacking perspective, he looks like he knows where to be and when. Against West Brom he'd found a brilliant position to swing a cross in, but it was on his left. He stuttered and spooned it over and it was seriously frustrating.

He looks infinitely better than Simpson though, so it would be great to get someone for the left-side. It would transform us altogether, particularly with our wingers being inconsistent at the absolute best. And by all accounts, this Cissokho sounds like a young, talented player that's simply gone off the boil. Still a regular mind you.

Just to be all childish and pipe-dreamy:

---------------------- Krul

Santon --- Samba --- Coloccini --- Cissokho

... shit.

Guest MrSundlofer

It quite clearly reads to me that Cissokho is in the UK at present.

His next game is in 2 weeks so he clearly could be.

Cissokho and Tomkins/Ridgewell.

Although, my friend who is an avid Lyon supporter says Cissokho is overrated and can't defend for shit.

Cissokho and Tomkins/Ridgewell.

Although, my friend who is an avid Lyon supporter says Cissokho is overrated and can't defend for s***.

It's ok. We'd have defensive wingers and attacking fullbacks. It's gonna be interesting!

Guest Rey Mysterio

Really need this lad to get himself on strike to force through a move.

He'd only be sat on the bench for the first 3 months anyway.