Newcastle United 0-0 Arsenal - 13/8/11 - post match reaction from p33

Beren

having seen the way arsenal attacked the goal today, ferguson must be a very happy man.  Hard to see anything but a manu win. wenger needs transfers and quick.....they could very well end up on 2 pts goinginto their 4th game. HOwever am sure the game vs manu will be more open. Due to having only one classy defender we had to be alot more cautious.

Gerbilho was gash. How you can have a pop at Taylor is incredulous. Did you even watch the game? :lol:

Gervinho anihilated Raylor in the first half, like.

Error. What are you doing saying shite like that? Gervinho's best run of the first half came against Simpson.

What's with the Ba criticism here? I thought he looked pretty good (when he got the ball at his feet) and chased everything. On the other hand, I thought Shola was dreadful, and did his usual slow motion closing down all afternoon.

I said during the game I would definitely have taken Shola off instead. Didn't think Ba did much, but then we hardly had the ball during the period he was on the pitch.

eh? Both of you should try watching the match instead of reading what you've already pre-scripted. Shola was much more effective than Ba in the first half and deserved to stay on the pitch when the change for Obertan was made. Can't believe someone who is normally reasonable (Ian W) would come out with such rubbish

I never said it didn't. But Gervinho got the better of Raylor on several occasions in the first half. 'Error' piss off.

Agreed with Ronaldo.

Ronaldo said that Gerbilinho "ANNHILATED" Ryan Taylor in the first half, funny that I didn't see him register a shot on target, let alone a goal (as C.Ronaldo used to do against our fullbacks)

Krul 7 Not too much to do. Importantly held Walcott's shot

Simpson 6 Got skinned quite a bit today and surprisingly made to look slow when chasing after Arshavin, Gibbs and Gervinho.

Saylor 8 One silly moment when he tried to go for a run beside, he was very solid at the back and read the game well.

Coloccini 9 The key contributor to a fantastic performance from our centre-halfs today.

Raylor 5.5 Not as bad as well all feared but was easily beaten one on one by Gervinho mostly.

Barton 6.5 Lucky to play 90 minutes, shite set pieces but was quite regularly involved. Some overly ambitious shots at the end

Tiote 7.5 As a defensive midfielder he was great and won alot of challenges. Passing was erratic and he looked underdone with the ball.

Cabaye 6 Very quiet in the first half. Spurned a good opportunity to get the opener and misplaced some passes. Will get better

Jonas 5.5 Totally ineffectual but ran hard as always.

Ba 6 Two big men up front didn't work at all and Ba probably didn't win as many headers as you would expect, not that anything would have came of them.

Shola 6 Same as above

Subs:

Obertan 7 Fantastic the first 15-20 minutes but was then pushed out right and he totally faded out of the game.

Best: 6 Didn't offer anything different to Shola or Ba.

Lovenkrands NA

Good result first up, season starts next weekend.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Tiote looked heavy legged

Simmo covered well

Ba looks short of games

Joey huffed and puffed quality not as good as usual

Taylor R played as well as he is able to

Taylor S was very good apart from one moment of madness

Colo was outstanding, composed and made some great tackles/interceptions

Jonas worked hard but was never going to outpace Sagna

Ameobi was typical shola. Did well at times and frustrating others

Cabaye couldn't get a foothold. As some have said showed glimpses and will get better

Krul One fumble aside was generally very good

Overall an average performance against a team that were there for the taking

I'm with Stu regarding the Ba assessment. Shola was the better of the two strikers and deserved to stay on. The frustrating thing about Ba was the he couldn't hold the ball up, when ever it was passed up to him he'd fall over under pressure from one of the Arsenal cb's. Thought he was made of tougher stuff than that tbh. Did anyone notice that we lost most of the aerial challenges in midfield btw? Worrying against Arsenal  :lol:

Anywho pretty poor match with zero excitement bar wor Joey being a bit of a tit. Trying to convert a load of cousins to toon fan's here in Bosnia, they're sticking with Man U and Chelsea after that preformance  :no: :angry:

Guest schmuck

Getting right pisses off by shearer bending over backwards against us to appear impartial.

Needs to get out of punditry ASAP for his own good. Somebody offer him a job please.

Sounds ominous

Guest Howaythetoon

Good point and result, shit performance, team clearly unfit and disjointed but should get better on both fronts. Desperate for a striker and left-back, going to be a very tough and long season.

Looking through this thread, it's clear that plenty of people didn't watch the match, and are doing ratings based on stereotypes about players. We played in a very different, and dare I say more promising :colo: way yesterday, and I can see us doing well out of it. My ratings (I watched the match, which is a good start!):

Krul 6 - Looked nervous at times, but held on to a sharp save well.

Simpson 6 - Part of a solid defensive unit. Got forward well. Was wearing number 5?!

Taylor 6 - Did some excellent tackles, but christ, he needs to keep his forward runs for set pieces. Horribly exposed Colo whilst trying to run the ball forward.

Coloccini 8 - Was outstanding. Won everything. Surprised one of the 'Big four' haven't tryed to nick him yet.

R Taylor 6 - Quiet game. Was surprisingly good at LB and made some good tackles. Set piece was poor.

Barton 7 - Dynamic. Looked to play killer balls and wound Arsenal up well. Exactly what you want from him.

Tiote 5 - Looked error prone at times when on the ball, but did the ugly stuff he needs to do.

Cabaye 6 - Quiet game. Looked like he has a cracking eye for a pass though, and will be immense for us this season.

Jonas 8 - Tracked back to cover Raylor. Won about 6000 tackles and throw ins. Looks to be the player he can be. Maybe it's due to competition from Marveaux?

Ba 6 - Quiet game. I would prefer to see him spearhead the attack rather than sit deep.

Shola 6 - Quiet too. Looked good on the ball. Would prefer him to have had more support rather than him being isolated at times.

Best 5 - So slow it is unreal.

Obertan - 7 Was very dangerous. Fast, good in the air. May be a bargain and a key player!

McLoven - 6 Actually looked alright on the ball.

Wonder if vuckic was injured or being held back for fear of somebody seeing how good he is and slapping a bid in?

If anything it would be the opposite. Get him out there in the limelight and milk it for every penny.

...Trying to convert a load of cousins to toon fan's here in Bosnia, they're sticking with Man U and Chelsea after that preformance  :no: :angry:

If you listen carefully, you can actually hear my heart breaking.