Newcastle United 0-0 Arsenal - 13/8/11 - post match reaction from p33

Beren

No fault of Ryan Taylor's but him being at leftback unsettled the entire team, Jonas missed not having a proper left bahind him the worry of leaving him exposed definitely had an effect on Jonas.

Cabaye could see that and in turn was worried about pushing on..  I think as soon as we get a leftback the balance of the side will look much better and its not like there are that many possession sides like Arsenal in the Prem.

We won't sit deep like that against many sides, I would be more worried if I was a Gooner, have that much of the ball and not score against a team who looked worried and disjointed due to a right winger playing at leftback.

Looking through this thread, it's clear that plenty of people didn't watch the match, and are doing ratings based on stereotypes about players. We played in a very different, and dare I say more promising :colo: way yesterday, and I can see us doing well out of it. My ratings (I watched the match, which is a good start!):

Krul 6 - Looked nervous at times, but held on to a sharp save well.

Simpson 6 - Part of a solid defensive unit. Got forward well. Was wearing number 5?!

Taylor 6 - Did some excellent tackles, but christ, he needs to keep his forward runs for set pieces. Horribly exposed Colo whilst trying to run the ball forward.

Coloccini 8 - Was outstanding. Won everything. Surprised one of the 'Big four' haven't tryed to nick him yet.

R Taylor 6 - Quiet game. Was surprisingly good at LB and made some good tackles. Set piece was poor.

Barton 7 - Dynamic. Looked to play killer balls and wound Arsenal up well. Exactly what you want from him.

Tiote 5 - Looked error prone at times when on the ball, but did the ugly stuff he needs to do.

Cabaye 6 - Quiet game. Looked like he has a cracking eye for a pass though, and will be immense for us this season.

Jonas 8 - Tracked back to cover Raylor. Won about 6000 tackles and throw ins. Looks to be the player he can be. Maybe it's due to competition from Marveaux?

Ba 6 - Quiet game. I would prefer to see him spearhead the attack rather than sit deep.

Shola 6 - Quiet too. Looked good on the ball. Would prefer him to have had more support rather than him being isolated at times.

Best 5 - So slow it is unreal.

Obertan - 7 Was very dangerous. Fast, good in the air. May be a bargain and a key player

McLoven - 6 Actually looked alright on the ball.

Funnily enough, these are the worst ratings I've seen since 2009.

Happy with the point and the performance pretty much backed up what we already know. We need a striker and left back bringing in. Obertan looked lively when he came on, provided a nice injection of pace.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Looking through this thread, it's clear that plenty of people didn't watch the match, and are doing ratings based on stereotypes about players. We played in a very different, and dare I say more promising :colo: way yesterday, and I can see us doing well out of it. My ratings (I watched the match, which is a good start!):

Krul 6 - Looked nervous at times, but held on to a sharp save well.

Simpson 6 - Part of a solid defensive unit. Got forward well. Was wearing number 5?!

Taylor 6 - Did some excellent tackles, but christ, he needs to keep his forward runs for set pieces. Horribly exposed Colo whilst trying to run the ball forward.

Coloccini 8 - Was outstanding. Won everything. Surprised one of the 'Big four' haven't tryed to nick him yet.

R Taylor 6 - Quiet game. Was surprisingly good at LB and made some good tackles. Set piece was poor.

Barton 7 - Dynamic. Looked to play killer balls and wound Arsenal up well. Exactly what you want from him.

Tiote 5 - Looked error prone at times when on the ball, but did the ugly stuff he needs to do.

Cabaye 6 - Quiet game. Looked like he has a cracking eye for a pass though, and will be immense for us this season.

Jonas 8 - Tracked back to cover Raylor. Won about 6000 tackles and throw ins. Looks to be the player he can be. Maybe it's due to competition from Marveaux?

Ba 6 - Quiet game. I would prefer to see him spearhead the attack rather than sit deep.

Shola 6 - Quiet too. Looked good on the ball. Would prefer him to have had more support rather than him being isolated at times.

Best 5 - So slow it is unreal.

Obertan - 7 Was very dangerous. Fast, good in the air. May be a bargain and a key player

McLoven - 6 Actually looked alright on the ball.

Funnily enough, these are the worst ratings I've seen since 2009.

Lovenkrands trying to kick a ball with power is hilarious. Seems as if he has legs made out of paper.

Guest johnson293

Love how Saylor goes running up to the lino and ref saying that Gervinho elbowed Barton

He he, and then when the ESPN lass asked him if it was an elbow after the match he said "I didn't see it".  :mackems:

How do you use the ignore function? I think Ronaldo might become the first user to be getting ignored. Absolute shithouse of a poster, and the worst WUM on here by a mile.

Ronaldo is right. If you're going to have such an elitist attitude then at least talk sense.

How does praising Jonas, Loven and Raylor make me elitist?!

It doesn't. This does...

Looking through this thread, it's clear that plenty of people didn't watch the match, and are doing ratings based on stereotypes about players. My ratings (I watched the match, which is a good start!):

Think that was MW there. Looked like him anyway.

Thought I'd have a look see if anyone noticed, it was, mate took an unflattering picture of the tele my head looks absolutely huge

Just watch a recording of the game, having been away.

The game was played at a cracking pace, and pleasingly we were able to live with it.

Ba and Shola didn't look any better as a combo in practice than they would in theory. Ba had trouble asserting himself physically down the middle, which surprised me.

Tiote seemed to struggle, either through lack of fitness or through playing a bit further forward than usual, not sure which. Cabaye looks a good player. Barton was good too.

Obertan seemed to be liberated and was very positive.

I thought Arsenal had loads of possession while doing very little with it.  I can only remember Krul having to make 1 save and Simpson clearing off the line.  I would say that Arsenal were far poorer than the team we played at the back end of last season and we did benefit from that.  I thought that our midfield did OK without doing anything special and I did see some good signs, especially from Cabaye, I think we have found a good player in him.  Cabaye and Tiote have the makings of a very good partnership if they click.  Our defence wasn't too bad against a poor Arsenal forward line, Ryan Taylor looked the least comfortable.  Simpson backed off but was much closer to the person he was marking and his backing off worked because it usually ended up with us regaining possession.

Up front was a big problem for us because Shola and Ba were far too similar and couldn’t make anything for themselves while those around them were unable to give them much.  I didn’t think much of Best or Lovenkrands and felt that playing 3 up front was pointless as we still created nothing.  We would have been better off sticking fresh legs in the centre of midfield in the hope that they could provide something.  We seemed to stick Barton in the middle and that didn’t change anything for us.  A point isn’t the end of the world against a poor arsenal, it’s just a pity that we didn’t have and game changers because even though Arsenal had loads of possession, they were vulnerable and we didn’t make the most of it.