Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Need to upgrade on him in the summer, came in in did a decent job when Krul was out but doesn't look the most confident or inspire confidence. He's kicking has gone shit, used to like the fact he used to throw from hand to start of attacks faster but hasn't done that for a while. Seems a nice guy though.

Wonder if he doubted he'd be able to clear it (it was an awkward height) because of his injury. Should have taken the risk. Don't think he actually carried the ball out, though.

Anyhoo, McCarthy from Reading please...

Even if it did cross the line, is there a rule saying definite yellow?

Certainly wasn't a deliberate handle outside the area

By definition it is deliberate handball. He caught it on purpose and he was (the ref thinks) outside the box. Therefore deliberate.

Silly stuff, should have skied it. I am not convinced it was out, its the ball not the player that has to be inside the box. They didnt show enough replay angles.

Madness to risk it, but it was a misjudgement, everyone else on the team made worse mistakes its just a tough one. Petulant for his first yellow though.

Probert had a proper mare all game.

By definition it is deliberate handball. He caught it on purpose and he was (the ref thinks) outside the box. Therefore deliberate.

Deliberate handball preventing a goalscoring opportunity would have been a red. Anything else is at the ref's discretion. 

Guest bimpy474

Sheer idiocy from him.

It is if he carried it out of the box, which by the look of the replay he didn't.

Not sure where the ball was, but both his feet were out. Is that what counts, rugby-style?

Fucking ridiculous either way. Idiotic. I'd be docking wages for that.

Pardew's adamant it wasn't a sending off so that's highly unlikely.

Deliberate handball preventing a goalscoring opportunity would have been a red. Anything else is at the ref's discretion. 

Aye, I didn't know the rule about the card, just saying that by definition it must be 'deliberate'.

Guest bimpy474

Not having a go here but can someone explain how any of you even think that if his feet were outside but the ball wasn't, then it's a free kick.

Sorry but that's a whole new level of spacker.

Aye, I didn't know the rule about the card, just saying that by definition it must be 'deliberate'.

I think rushing out and saving a shot outside the box with your hands is classed as deliberate. Sliding out of the area too far whilst holding the ball probably not. Think Elliott today just completely misjudged it, bit harsh to say it was deliberate imo.

Guest palnese

Having seen it again I don't think he did anything wrong for the handball. His feet were outside the box, but I don't the ball ever crossed the line. The lino was never in a position to make that call.

Having seen it again I don't think he did anything wrong for the handball. His feet were outside the box, but I don't the ball ever crossed the line. The lino was never in a position to make that call.

I think you can forgive the linesman, like. He was clearly stood outside the box; he was begging to be sent off. Outrageously thick, I was absolutely raging.

Guest palnese

I think you can forgive the linesman, like. He was clearly stood outside the box; he was begging to be sent off. Outrageously thick, I was absolutely raging.

Doesn't really matter if he was stood outside the box, does it? The linesman couldn't see if The Dilsh handled it outside the box or not, yet he made the call.

Guest bimpy474

Doesn't really matter if he was stood outside the box, does it? The linesman couldn't see if The Dilsh handled it outside the box or not, yet he made the call.

Exactly, he was guessing and he shouldn't have.

Think it's a bit harsh to be angry at a player or claim they are thick etc.. when after numerous replays after the incident people still aren't sure he actually did anything wrong :lol: