Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

People still believe that shit? :anguish:

:lol: it quite obviously happened like. Not sure why you're so sceptical of literally every encounter someone might have with a player or person in the game out in the world but it happens. People meet people. Not everyone is some massive attention seeking liar looking for internet credits.

It's in the past now though, not just those quotes which are nice, but he's got on with his job well enough. It still annoys me that we never improved on him but, when we do, he'll still be handy to have around as back-up.

EDIT: What you're suggesting here is that TheGuv got in from a night on the piss and his first thought was get straight onto the internet to concoct some massive conspiracy in an effort to defame a pointless NUFC player for absolutely no reason.

Not just "I saw Elliott being a cunt in town", but to actually sit at his PC and construct an entire conversation at 3 in the morning.

If the Pardew stuff is true it's a bit snide, but I've moved on.

He clearly is attached to area, and I thought the quotes were great tbh.

Ultimately, if we want to get better, we'd need to improve the GK position next season.

But he's had a decent start to the season, his attitude is right, we got him for £250K, which is super value.

Didn't we put a derisory bid in for him too before that £250k?

Aye, I think might have been £130K or something?

Ultimately I understand the differing opinions on the lad, but we can all agree we got him for a cracking price.

Tbh we've had a quite a few "smaller" buys that have worked out as very decent value in the end.

Personally I've never thought it was such a big shock that an average championship standard keeper bums a manager who he worked with at Charlton and then brought him to the prem to play for us, when he's obviously not up to it and let in 51 goals in 35 games in league 1 the previous season before we signed him.

Couldn't give two flying s***s what he said.

I hope he will improve further as he's still relatively young for a keeper.

Good luck to him.

He's 31, and he's not going to improve to become a competent PL keeper.

Eh?

One absolutely world class save. Otherwise I don't feel he commanded his box well at all.

He was absolutely fine. The defending in front of him wasn't, at times.

Another player that people have a random dislike for and unable to give it up.

I have no dislike for Elliot. Don't think i've ever called him Blob or whatever. Don't care about his comments. Defended him before. I just think he looked shakey besides a world-class save. Always slow off his line and has to rush clearances etc.

Eh?

One absolutely world class save. Otherwise I don't feel he commanded his box well at all.

I have no dislike for Elliot. Don't think i've ever called him Blob or whatever. Don't care about his comments. Defended him before. I just think he looked shakey besides a world-class save. Always slow off his line and has to rush clearances etc.

Other than one poor clearance (which nearly every keeper does each match), he didn't put a single foot wrong and kept us in the game with an outstanding save.

Sometimes I think you do this for attention.

Eh?

Other than one poor clearance (which nearly every keeper does each match), he didn't put a single foot wrong and kept us in the game with an outstanding save.

Sometimes I think you do this for attention.

The save was a worldie. My comment was at half-time. I didn't say he made any massive shakes he just doesn't fill the defence or me with confidence. Whenever they put a ball on him in the box there was a nervousness throughout and he contributes. From low-pressure situations put one clearance out of play and another into a dangerous area.

He had less to do in the second half and overall can't complain. Just felt he looked shakey in the first half - sheeesh it's just an opinion not a dramatic one at that.

Nearly all goalkeepers are good shot stoppers at the top level. It's the other attributes to their game that shapes them in being really good keepers.

His kicking is poor which puts us on the back foot and he's still susceptible to shots from distance. Was an excellent save on the line today mind

Guest firetotheworks

Not his fault today. Pathetic marking to blame.

Pathetic? Really? We were a bit weak, but it's normally one of our strengths and there were two fouls in there.

Not his fault today. Pathetic marking to blame.

Pathetic? Really? We were a bit weak, but it's normally one of our strengths and there were two fouls in there.

Of course it is, but the marking on that set piece was horrifically slack. Potential foul on Mbemba but the two lads marking Hemed were poor too, for our usual high standards it was horrendously sloppy.