Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Sliced a few kicks in the first half granted, but I thought his kicking was decent on the whole.  Seemed to drill a fair few flat out of hand and got quite a bit of distance from the ground in the second half.  Seemed to actually aim for someone and it was a big improvement on Krul's distribution.  The throw was outrageous.  Reminded me of Gomes.

His kicking was awful.

Dear god.

I really think some people may have missed just how bad Krul's kicking is, Elliot's kicking is miles better even though its not great

Krul's kicking is bad, so Elliot's isn't? How does that work? :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHw5-X3HLkkYpg-2LDfHqlQ0XPDCBLXRqr2VNLlaaYPKUpIS37

His kicking was awful.

Dear god.

I really think some people may have missed just how bad Krul's kicking is, Elliot's kicking is miles better even though its not great

Obviously a wum. Elliot's kicking consistently found a black and white shirt.

His kicking was awful.

Dear god.

His distribution is much better than Krul's. I think this will become clear after a few more games.

That throw was something else.  Pretty sure my arm would fall off if I tried that

Schmeichel'esque throw that was, its something I always wonder about, it worked so well for Man Ure time & time again Schmeichel launching the ball up field as soon as he has possession of it. Makes counter attack football so much easier if your keeper can throw a ball that far with accuracy.

Completely agree about it improving counter attacks.  Think Krul spent too long watching Harper in traning - he takes ages to get rid of the ball.  Tim could learn a thing or two from Elliot for sure.

That throw was something else.  Pretty sure my arm would fall off if I tried that

Schmeichel'esque throw that was, its something I always wonder about, it worked so well for Man Ure time & time again Schmeichel launching the ball up field as soon as he has possession of it. Makes counter attack football so much easier if your keeper can throw a ball that far with accuracy.

Completely agree about it improving counter attacks.  Think Krul spent too long watching Harper in traning - he takes ages to get rid of the ball.  Tim could learn a thing or two from Elliot for sure.

:pardsgrin:

All you can ask for from a sub keeper is to play solid and make as few mistakes as possible when called upon. Not exactly sure what people expect other than that.

We're not in a position to have 2 top keepers fighting for the number 1 spot. When Harper eventually retires, we'll maybe take a look at Alnwick but our recent links with a young keeper don't bode too well for him.

Elliot more than did his job on Sunday, and I hope he carries that positive performance into the rest of the games he will play.

His kicking was awful.

Dear god.

Obviously a wum. Elliot's kicking consistently found a black and white shirt.

a WUM :lol:

I sat in the first half and watched the ball be placed back to Elliot by our defenders and he sliced aimless balls up to the 'forwards'.

His GKs, FKs etc. were good, but his clearances were high, floated and aimless for the most part.

No goalkeeper can accurately kick a rolling ball. It's just one of those unexplainable things.

Without having seen it again, I thought he could have done much better with the second. Throwing himself on the floor was stupid when he could have just used his feet and that's a pet hate of mine if you were wondering.

Credit where it's due. Wasn't happy with him ahead of Harper, but fair's fair. Hope he continues to improve

Really?  He's played well in the Europa and League Cup and Harper has been terrible for a season or two now.

I was nervous about how he'd do in the league, but glad he got the nod over Harper.  Who I later found out was injured any way.

Credit where it's due. Wasn't happy with him ahead of Harper, but fair's fair. Hope he continues to improve

Can't believe anyone would advocate Harper still being in the side. He was once a good keeper, although I don't think we ever saw the best of him. His decline has been rapid and when he dives it reminds me of the three stage way we were taught to fall in drama at school.

Can't believe anyone would advocate Harper still being in the side. He was once a good keeper, although I don't think we ever saw the best of him. His decline has been rapid and when he dives it reminds me of the three stage way we were taught to fall in drama at school.

Don't know if this has already been posted but seen it today (its from 19th December)

Retweeted Robert Elliot (@the_dilsh)

@Russel_safc:@the_dilsh whats it like playing for the scum? I dont play for Sunderland mate,that's why i played in Europe this year!

:icon_salut:

Don't know if this has already been posted but seen it today (its from 19th December)

@Russel_safc:@the_dilsh whats it like playing for the scum? I dont play for Sunderland mate,that's why i played in Europe this year!

Legend in the making - seems to have something about him - quirky - we will watch his progress with interest -  :mike:

Would be fun to see his pass % in the match (if throws were counted aswell).

39%. 29/31 passes counted as long passes too, so Southampton's pressure high up the pitch seemed to work in that regard.

Class  ;D