Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

There was no point where this was a formal interview though, there's no off the record or on the record. Elliot has to be smart enough to not say damning s*** when talking to a random fan at a night club. Once he's said it it's fair game imo, he has to watch what he says where ever and whenever, which he failed to do here. The fans deserve to know if one of their players is accepting mediocrity and slagging off a club legend.

And this :thup:

There was no point where this was a formal interview though, there's no off the record or on the record. Elliot has to be smart enough to not say damning s*** when talking to a random fan at a night club. Once he's said it it's fair game imo, he has to watch what he says where ever and whenever, which he failed to do here. The fans deserve to know if one of their players is accepting mediocrity and slagging off a club legend.

:thup:

No doubt about it.

Elliot is in the public eye and can't insult fans and expect there to be no coverage of it, or be upset if there is. It's not exactly phonetapping if he's volunteering these opinions to strangers he meets on a night out ffs :lol:

I think you could argue that it is an unethical thing to do. I would probably draw the line at writing an article based on that conversation.

If it is an accurate account of the conversation though, and Elliot is given a right to reply, then I think it can be justified. There's also a fairly robust public interest defence, given the response it has generated.

Oh, and Elliot shouldn't be such a big dafty.

Don't think it can be justified, myself.  Really makes me feel uneasy seeing stuff like this being "published" on the internet.

When I call people to do interviews with them, there is a clear and defined moment when things become on the record and I cannot - and will not - use anything outside of that time-frame, even though I am rolling tape well before that moment.  Really poor form to publish this conversation on the internet, especially when it has such strong opinions about the club, its employees, and its supporters.

You've put an employee of the club in a very precarious position based on a conversation he had with you in a nightclub.  Unjustifiable to post it on website like TrueFaith under the guise of an article.

If this is a trap for me then I'm in, those were my feelings pretty much exactly.

Not a trap.  As someone who writes articles for a reputable news organization, "articles" like this really get under my skin.

If this creates a shit-storm for Elliott, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some legal action.  This serious libel.

For the last time, this was NOT a professional fucking article in a professional, pre-discussed setting agreed upon by both parties.

This was two drunk dudes talking in a fucking club and the other one simply has an internet connection and the capacity to transcribe what occured.

Fuck's sake, man. If you're a professional journalist, how can this fact escape you?

I think you could argue that it is an unethical thing to do. I would probably draw the line at writing an article based on that conversation.

If it is an accurate account of the conversation though, and Elliot is given a right to reply, then I think it can be justified. There's also a fairly robust public interest defence, given the response it has generated.

Oh, and Elliot shouldn't be such a big dafty.

Don't think it can be justified, myself.  Really makes me feel uneasy seeing stuff like this being "published" on the internet.

When I call people to do interviews with them, there is a clear and defined moment when things become on the record and I cannot - and will not - use anything outside of that time-frame, even though I am rolling tape well before that moment.  Really poor form to publish this conversation on the internet, especially when it has such strong opinions about the club, its employees, and its supporters.

You've put an employee of the club in a very precarious position based on a conversation he had with you in a nightclub.  Unjustifiable to post it on website like TrueFaith under the guise of an article.

If this is a trap for me then I'm in, those were my feelings pretty much exactly.

Not a trap.  As someone who writes articles for a reputable news organization, "articles" like this really get under my skin.

If this creates a s***-storm for Elliott, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some legal action.  This serious libel.

You're actually surprising me here.

If he said it there's absolutely no grounds

That's the only bone of contention, he can simply deny it or say his words were 'twisted' or 'taken out of context,' though I doubt Rob Elliot knows what those words even mean.

I can't see what Elliott or the guy that wrote the article has done wrong

Rob Elliott, a nobody only at a PL club because we're a joke, has slated Kevin Keegan. He has implied that we can't do any better than 8th or 9th.

At what stage, reading the article, did you come to the conclusion he had done nothing wrong?

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Elliot has been a bit naive but if it wasn't an official interview, it shouldn't have been published in it's current form or maybe his identity should have been hidden.