Sunderland 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 20/08/11 - post-match reaction from page 50

Dave

Well done gents.

First half was the most dominant I've ever seen Sunderland against Newcastle in my lifetime, even with Tiote practically playing as a third centre half you couldn't handle Sessegnon and he ran the show. We had numerous chances and 5 or 6 great balls into the box but when you have a fat knacker(like I said last week) like Gyan who is so overweight, he couldn't get on the end of them, then you are going to pay for it.

Second half we were shocking and never created anything of note but fair play to Pardew for changing his system and moving Tiote from deep and actually trying to do something more than just try and contain Sunderland, like he did first half and it worked. In truth the only way Newcastle were going to score was via a corner or set-piece, your attacking from open play was virtually non-existent but very dangerous on set-pieces. Great free-kick for the goal but a goalkeeping error from Sunderland's point of view. After the goal we created nothing and Bruce's decision to take off Larsson, our best player bar Sessegnon and have 4 forwards up front with nobody to supply them can only be described as bizarre, the bloke is tactically clueless. Sessegnon man of the match and head and shoulders better than anyone else on the pitch and I guarantee he will not be a Sunderland player this time next year, far too good for us.

Larsson should have gone and also should have been a penalty, no doubt about it. No complaints about Bardsley being sent off, shocking tackle. Cattermole and Cabaye should also have seen reds for shocking tackles and on another day would have.

Ok this is a Newcastle forum so here is my honest views based on yesterday, no doubt it will upset some people but hey-ho.

Krul - Done what he had to do well and looked comfortable with whatever he had to deal with, claimed a few good crosses.

Simpson - Average, got forward a few times second half.

Coloccini - Your best player, dealt with an overweight Gyan well.

Taylor - Always a threat on set-pieces.

Taylor - Great free-kick and a relatively easy afternoon against a shocking Elmohamady.

Barton - Over-ran by Sunderland first half, better second, wasn't really that impressed with him.

Cabaye - Should have seen red after a horrific tackle on Bardsley, was supposed to playing in a dvanced role but other than a shot straight at Mignolet, created nothing.

Tiote - Played virtually as a 3rd centre half first half to try and contain Sessegnon which failed, much better second half when you changed the system.

Guitterez - Played virtually as a left back first half, won a lot of free-kicks and goes down very easily.

Obertan - Honesty forget he was playing, shocking and never in the game at all.

Ameobi - Done well against Ferdinand in the 2nd half and held it up well.

Newcastle created nothing in open play and could have still be playing now and not have scored in open play. Obertan might aswell not have been playing and other than Cabaye testing Mignolet, your attacking play was non-existent. You were however a major threat from set-pieces and you looked like you were going to score everytime you had one.

In summary, I think it was the right result as Larsson should have been off and a penalty awarded after 15 minutes and when you take take your chances you don't deserve to win games, that's football.

I await the abuse. :)

Spot on to be fair... From my seat in the stand we were woefull 1st half and apart from a 15 minute spell in the 2nd half from which we scored we weren't much better in the 2nd half... Sunderland not much better... Will need to improve against Fulham if we want to take more than a point... Can't see many goals in the team at all... Don't let a derby win cover the cracks...

Newcastle created nothing in open play and could have still be playing now and not have scored in open play. Obertan might aswell not have been playing and other than Cabaye testing Mignolet, your attacking play was non-existent. You were however a major threat from set-pieces and you looked like you were going to score everytime you had one.

Apart from our ten shots on target?

while i agree we're not up to much going forward, we have to have been ok up top to win that many set pieces to be dangerous from

First half was the most dominant I've ever seen Sunderland against Newcastle in my lifetime

A bit like saying "This is the funniest episode of Miranda I've ever seen."

But a fair enough analysis all the same.

Watched it through again this morning. 

Sunderland bossed the first 10/15 minutes, but it quickly became a more even encounter soon after.  Sunderland probably still had the edge on possession, but didn't really threaten.

Wearside is wrong.

First half was the most dominant I've ever seen Sunderland against Newcastle in my lifetime

A bit like saying "This is the funniest episode of Miranda I've ever seen."

But a fair enough analysis all the same.

:lol:

My lass watches that, think she must identify with the gargantuan freak.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Watched it through again this morning. 

Sunderland bossed the first 10/15 minutes, but it quickly became a more even encounter soon after.  Sunderland probably still had the edge on possession, but didn't really threaten.

Wearside is wrong.

For me the result flattered them. The loudest shout from the home fans was when Webb awarded a corner instead of a penalty and a red card.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

Guest WashyGeordie

309297_197871833609471_197665073630147_537854_3230226_n.jpg

:aww:

That's sicker than that human centipede thing. You should be deeply ashamed.

Didn't make it, just seen it on one of the pro 0-1 facebook pages'..

Newcastle created nothing in open play and could have still be playing now and not have scored in open play.

So you must have left before Gosling had that chance one on one with your keeper then? :lol:

Newcastle created nothing in open play and could have still be playing now and not have scored in open play.

So you must have left before Gosling had that chance one on one with your keeper then? :lol:

didnt thier keeper tip a long range shot over the bar?

Guest WashyGeordie

Sunderland Team Statistics Newcastle United

0 Goals 1

0 1st Half Goals 0

3 Shots on Target 6

9 Shots off Target 5

3 Blocked Shots 2

7 Corners 6

17 Fouls 9

0 Offsides 2

2 Yellow Cards 3

1 Red Cards 0

69.3 Passing Success 64.1

23 Tackles 22

82.6 Tackles Success 68.2

50.8 Possession 49.2

SSN.

Yeah a beaut from Cabaye.

Sunderland Team Statistics Newcastle United

0 Goals 1

0 1st Half Goals 0

3 Shots on Target 6

9 Shots off Target 5

3 Blocked Shots 2

7 Corners 6

17 Fouls 9

0 Offsides 2

2 Yellow Cards 3

1 Red Cards 0

69.3 Passing Success 64.1

23 Tackles 22

82.6 Tackles Success 68.2

50.8 Possession 49.2

SSN.

11 shots to their 12 but we had double the amount on target, created nothing man!!!

didnt barton tuck one away? but it was off side- should have been 0-3 then in fairness.

Guest johnson293

didnt barton tuck one away? but it was off side- should have been 0-3 then in fairness.

I must have missed that (probably when my dodgy stream when down), Barton himself tweeted along the lines that he was gutted that he should have had two goals - one being the header larsson 'saved', but wasn't sure what the other one was.