Scunthorpe 1 - 2 Newcastle (AET - CC) - 25/08/11 - post-match reaction from pg66

Dave

Good old cup tie albeit refereed by an idiot who looked like he was straight from the Gateshead Sunday league.

Good character shown by the team to come back on a difficult night and useful, run outs for players who hadn't had a game so far.

Krul just seems to get better each game and Colo was...... well just Colo. Cabaye seems to be getting used to the English pace and Marveuax and Sammy were positives.

Taylor's free kick - sublime.

Incidentally even though he was free, I still feel robbed by Demba Ba's signing . So far that is.

Jesus :weep:

I know you said so far, but common man he's played about 100 mins so far in his Newcastle career.  He's scored goals where ever he's been, he'll score goals here.

Great result in the end. Shitting it for extended periods! Toon Army was fantastic!

Krul            - 8 - Excellent saves and command of his area. Kicking needs work

Simpson    - 3 - Shocking. In the literal sense of the word

Coloccini    - 8 - Captain's performance. Went to sleep in a couple of instances. He recovered well and it didn't cost us

S Taylor    - 9 - Thought he was absolutely outstanding when he came on. Mopped up literally every single ball that came his way. Drove the team forward

R Taylor    - 6 - Beautiful goal again. Clearly not an answer to LB issues

Loven        - 5 - Why on earth is he on the right side of midfield? Missed a few sitters

Gosling      - 7 - Put himself about the pitch. Needs to play more competitive matches. Unlucky not to have more goalscoring chances. Got forward well a la Nolan

Cabaye      - 8 - Here, there, every fucking where! Great to see him well up for the new challenge. Seems to have taken well to his new club

Marveaux  - 7 - Bright in spells. Some lovely deft touches. Needs games

Best          - 7 - Toiled up front and should have scored. Not bad

Ba            - 4 - Apart from a few nice touches early on, offered nothing

Ameobi    - 9 - Done the lot. Seems to have a knack for end-product. Plays with wonderful drive and enthusiasm. Belter of a goal. Long may it continue

Vuckic      - 8 - Full of running. Looks like a proper footballer. Intelligent and determined to do well

Phew!  :clap:

Krul - 8 Some top saves in there, if Harper was playing I think we'd have been well beaten. Distribution was poor, however.

Simpson - 3 - Really Poor yet again. Out of position too many times, lost the ball frequently, pathetic going forward. Really losing patience with him.

Williamson - 5 - Didnt notice him doing a huge amount good or bad tbh. Taylor seems to have overtaken him recently.

Coloccini - 7 - Intriguing mix of brilliant and awkward. Came from trying to do too much I think.

Taylor - 5 - Simply awful in defence, but he made amends by single handidly saving us.

Marveaux - 7.5 - Looks good, put some solid low crosses into the box. Excelled in his sweeper role picking up loose balls and recycling them into attacks. moving him back there changed the game for us - credit to pardew.

Cabaye - 6 - Game passed him by a bit first half, improved later on and in extra time. Popped up everywhere with little steals of the ball and interceptions.

Golsing - 4 - Lots of effort and strong running, very little quality. Hope he gets better with more match fitness.

Lovenkrands - 3 - rubbish tbh. spurned a couple of chances through laziness. put in one or two good passes, though.

Best - 6 - Very busy, and made quite a lot happen in the 2nd half, just short on quality and a finishing touch. Can't be as wasteful as that in the premierleague, but one of our better players tonight.

Ba - 2 - Dunno what's going on here, looks a fraction of the player who impressed for West Ham. Needs to be told he's miles from the first XI unless he dramatically bucks up his ideas.

Taylor - 7 - Decent

Sammy - 8 -  Some tricky dribbles under pressure, good pace. Also used the ball more sensibly than more experienced players. very raw still and lost the ball a few times, but at least he was trying. super goal.

Vuckic - 7.5 - Impressive, calm, composed, doesnt just look for the obivous pass.

Overall we've not convinced this season, but we've picked up the results we've needed, albeit with a hefty chunk of good fortune. It is worrying that once again the opposition dominate play for the first 45, and that 90% of our attacks consisted of aimless punts forward. we really looked like we could barely string 3 or 4 passes together. 2nd half, as against Sunderland, was much improved, though still a long, long way from where we should be. Wouldn't be too critical mind you, these games are always scrappy. we've been worse against weaker opposition, such as Stevenage last year. Credit to the young lads for embarrasing some of the senior players.

Guest Heneage

On a side note, I thought Steven Taylor was very good today. His type of game really, all blood and thunder not much thinking. A tricky tie but a good result that I hope has taught Pardew a lot.

Krul - 9 - Some class saves. The one from Colo's shoulder is actually incredible. Definitely my no.1 now.

Simpson - 5 - Actually got stuck in and making tackles today. His usual up-down average game.

Colo - 6 - Alright game. Nothing of note to really say.

Taylor - 7 - Thrown into the game unexpectedly and coped with it well. He's starting to grow on me again...

R.Taylor - 6 - Class free kick. Alright game. Had a few dodgy moments, but mainly because he's right footed.

Lovenkrands - 5 - Clearly isn't a RW. That is all.

Cabaye - 7 - Usual, solid game. Looks very composed on the ball.

Gosling - 6 - Looked alright on the ball. Lots of running around and effort. Terrible end product.

Marveuax - 7 - Looked bright. Is very quick and can certainly pick out at pass. Coped well in the centre too.

Ba - 4 - Starting to wonder if we've brought in a different player to the WHU one? Was woefully off the pace.

Best - 6.5 - Battled hard, won a few headers, scored a decent enough goal (only for it to be disallowed).

Subs:

Vuckic - 7 - Came on, battled hard, covered alot of ground on the pitch and looked good on the ball.

Ameobi - 8 - A breath of fresh air. A different player and a composed one. Unpredictable too. I really like him. Class goal.

Fans - 11 - Easily one of the best away ends I've been in. Didn't stop for 90 minutes. Had a couple of disgruntled kids with stupid remarks but they were quickly drowned out by more positive chants.

Krul - 9 - Some class saves. The one from Colo's shoulder is actually incredible. Definitely my no.1 now.

Simpson - 5 - Actually got stuck in and making tackles today. His usual up-down average game.

Colo - 6 - Alright game. Nothing of note to really say.

Taylor - 7 - Thrown into the game unexpectedly and coped with it well. He's starting to grow on me again...

R.Taylor - 6 - Class free kick. Alright game. Had a few dodgy moments, but mainly because he's right footed.

Lovenkrands - 5 - Clearly isn't a RW. That is all.

Cabaye - 7 - Usual, solid game. Looks very composed on the ball.

Gosling - 6 - Looked alright on the ball. Lots of running around and effort. Terrible end product.

Marveuax - 7 - Looked bright. Is very quick and can certainly pick out at pass. Coped well in the centre too.

Ba - 4 - Starting to wonder if we've brought in a different player to the WHU one? Was woefully off the pace.

Best - 6.5 - Battled hard, won a few headers, scored a decent enough goal (only for it to be disallowed).

Subs:

Vuckic - 7 - Came on, battled hard, covered alot of ground on the pitch and looked good on the ball.

Ameobi - 8 - A breath of fresh air. A different player and a composed one. Unpredictable too. I really like him. Class goal.

Fans - 11 - Easily one of the best away ends I've been in. Didn't stop for 90 minutes. Had a couple of disgruntled kids with stupid remarks but they were quickly drowned out by more positive chants.

Compare last night's fans at a competitive match in smaller numbers, to some of those who preferred to attend a friendly match at Darlington and caused problems for us all.

Last night was real support and thankfully minus the drunken bandwagon jumpers.

Incidentally even though he was free, I still feel robbed by Demba Ba's signing . So far that is.

Jesus :weep:

I know you said so far, but common man he's played about 100 mins so far in his Newcastle career.  He's scored goals where ever he's been, he'll score goals here.

Agreed..He'll be much better when he's partnered up with the moveable striker..Then we'll have opposite movements: Ba running towards our midfield or trying to keep the ball, while the attacker runs into space..Yesterday Best and Ba acted both as holding attackers, so the Scunt. defenders did not have to consider the space behind them..That made their job much easier imo.

Krul 8.5 Had no business making the save that deflected off Colo. Harps in goals today and we would be out.

Simpson 5 Beaten too often by a tier 3 player. Embarrassing misread of a long ball that nearly cost us a goal

Williamson 4 Hope all those idiots who wanted this guy to start over Saylor get it through their thick skulls now. Lost the key header that cost us a goal.

Colo 8 always good in possession and read the ball well to cut out passes and crosses on occasion.

Raylor 7 Free kick master, pity we can't just sub him on and off to take them.

Saylor 7.5 Defensively so much stronger when he came on. Stronger in the air than Willo despite being significantly shorter

Lovenkrands 3 Go away. Missed a sitter, horrible positioning while playing striker. Tosser

Gosling 4.5 Hugely disappointing and was inaccurate with his passing today. I thought he might be ok to fill Barton's boots, not anymore.

Cabaye 8 I though he was really good today

Marveaux 6.5 Looks rusty, will take a month or so to hit his straps.

Vuckic 7 Good, I wish he started.

Sameobi 8 Goal!!!

Ba 5.5 Crap again tonight bar a good cross for Best.

Best 7 Had a goal wrongly disallowed and did cause problems, but there were moments of shiteness that ruined goalscoring opportunities

Was a good cup tie, usual fare from the lower league side - knackered themselves out after an hour but got the goal which often doesn't come in these sorts of games. After that we could have had 4 or 5 if we could finish, Gosling trying to side foot in from 30 yards and Lovenkrands horrible scoop over the bar being the highlights. Positives were Krul, the centre halves, Cabaye, Marveaux and the cameos from Vuckic and of course Sammy.

Gosling got in some good positions but needs to be more composed, very Nolan-esque in his arrival in the box but without the finishing. The formation we finished with, a 4-2-3-1 sort of thing is definitely what we should play when Ben Arfa is back, I've no doubt that's what Pardew wants to play too but without Ben Arfa it probably wouldn't work. Marveaux looked tidy spreading the play against a knackered team but will be interesting to see how he gets on from here.

Ba looked off the pace, I know him, Tiote and I think it was Marveaux are fasting at the moment and I hope it is that that is causing him to be off the pace, early days yet though. No idea what we play against Fulham, Shola and one other I guess.

Krul 8.5 Had no business making the save that deflected off Colo. Harps in goals today and we would be out.

Simpson 5 Beaten too often by a tier 3 player. Embarrassing misread of a long ball that nearly cost us a goal

Williamson 4 Hope all those idiots who wanted this guy to start over Saylor get it through their thick skulls now. Lost the key header that cost us a goal.

Colo 8 always good in possession and read the ball well to cut out passes and crosses on occasion.

Raylor 7 Free kick master, pity we can't just sub him on and off to take them.

Saylor 7.5 Defensively so much stronger when he came on. Stronger in the air than Willo despite being significantly shorter

Lovenkrands 3 Go away. Missed a sitter, horrible positioning while playing striker. Tosser

Gosling 4.5 Hugely disappointing and was inaccurate with his passing today. I thought he might be ok to fill Barton's boots, not anymore.

Cabaye 8 I though he was really good today

Marveaux 6.5 Looks rusty, will take a month or so to hit his straps.

Vuckic 7 Good, I wish he started.

Sameobi 8 Goal!!!

Ba 5.5 Crap again tonight bar a good cross for Best.

Best 7 Had a goal wrongly disallowed and did cause problems, but there were moments of shiteness that ruined goalscoring opportunities

Best lost the header for the goal.