Joey Barton's Replacement

aussiemag

If the intention is to change formation, why haven't we been working on it all pre-season?

We played 4-2-3-1 a fair bit didn't we? No doubt 4-4-2 is very much in the mind as well though. A lot depends on the quality of this striker we get. If people do stay fit and perform to their level then Barton won't be missed too much. Still sad to lose yet another favourite though.

Only Colo and Tiote remain.

Playing one up front and still looking for a good striker doesn't really stack up with Ba being our top striker and Carroll's replacement. Unless we're going to play him in the three?

You asked why we hadn't been trying other formations in pre-season, I pointed out that we had done.

In terms of this, though, surely any new striker bought for good money is technically "Carroll's replacement"? They'll become our "best striker" by default, basically. Currently it's Ba because he's all we've brought in up there. I can't honestly say I know what Pardew's plans are though.

Ben Arfa's injury has knacked things again. No doubt he was a shoe-in playing a VDV role off a striker.

Aye, I guess the farcical pre-season events didn't help. My point is I'm far from convinced about this change in formation/game plan business. Seems to me that people (including Pardew) are just trying to justify the sales by fannying around with our 'best side' to suit who's still here.

Replacement?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2009/5/1/1241199794759/Mike-Ashley-001.jpg

:lol: How many monitors have almost been destroyed by that picture.

If the intention is to change formation, why haven't we been working on it all pre-season?

We played 4-2-3-1 a fair bit didn't we? No doubt 4-4-2 is very much in the mind as well though. A lot depends on the quality of this striker we get. If people do stay fit and perform to their level then Barton won't be missed too much. Still sad to lose yet another favourite though.

Only Colo and Tiote remain.

Playing one up front and still looking for a good striker doesn't really stack up with Ba being our top striker and Carroll's replacement. Unless we're going to play him in the three?

You asked why we hadn't been trying other formations in pre-season, I pointed out that we had done.

In terms of this, though, surely any new striker bought for good money is technically "Carroll's replacement"? They'll become our "best striker" by default, basically. Currently it's Ba because he's all we've brought in up there. I can't honestly say I know what Pardew's plans are though.

Ben Arfa's injury has knacked things again. No doubt he was a shoe-in playing a VDV role off a striker.

Aye, I guess the farcical pre-season events didn't help. My point is I'm far from convinced about this change in formation/game plan business. Seems to me that people are just trying to justify the sales by fannying around with our 'best side' to suit who's still here.

:thup:

You're probably not far wrong. He was certainly in my first XI currently. There is now absolutely no buffer for one of Marveaux or Obertan not being really good from here on. Pace on both flanks sounds good in theory, but only Jonas has proven his quality here and I'm far from convinced he'll improve if played further forward in a legitimate 4-2-3-1. 4-4-1-1 will probably better describe it, but then you're back to having Barton on the right really.

:dontknow:

Guest bimpy474

Dont need a outright replacement if we go 4-3-3, Tiote, Cabaye and Marveaux in the middle backed up by Gosling, Haris, Abeid, Guthrie, then you have a striker hopefully a new one flanked by 2 of Obetan, Jonas, Arfa, Ba, Sammy and Best moving around rotating positions.

If we do go 4-3-3 and if hell freezes over and a replacement is to be signed, i would hope its more of a central midfielder.

Buying a "replacement" now for Barton would just push the likes of Marveaux, Obertan, Gosling & Vuckic further down the pecking order. I'm happy with the squad depth in midfield. As Rich said, a leader at the back would be my preference rather than a new midfielder or winger.