Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I have nothing wrong with Pardew given players a bit of confidence but that was VERY poorly worded and just odd.

If he said something like "Even if he was fit he would have to fight to get into the team" then that would be fair enough.

I'm not a Keegan worshipper, he had his faults, but one thing which struck me when he took over was it didn't matter how well a player had done, if he could get someone in better to improve the team he'd ruthlessly ditch the inferior player, no matter how popular and play the new guy. Not everyone is capable of being that strong of purpose. Maybe Pardew is, and he's just someone who likes to talk players up, but I have my doubts still.

I'm not a Keegan worshipper, he had his faults, but one thing which struck me when he took over was it didn't matter how well a player had done, if he could get someone in better to improve the team he'd ruthlessly ditch the inferior player, no matter how popular and play the new guy. Not everyone is capable of being that strong of purpose. Maybe Pardew is, and he's just someone who likes to talk players up, but I have my doubts still.

I think he's very middle of the road with it. Sometimes he seems to do it, other times will persevere with a player. He's not spectacularly stubborn, nor spectacularly ruthless.

"It is disappointing, more so for him than me, because the team is functioning well and at this moment he wouldn't be in the team anyway," said the boss.

:crazy2:

Did he actually say that? f***ing hell :lol:

Just seen it on SSN, and he's deadly serious. I can understand him saying something like 'the team is functioning well and at this moment it would be difficult to break that up' or something similarly non-committal, but the way he says it is simply that he rates Ryan Taylor higher, at least for now. ???

:nods:

Pardew could have definitely worded his response better.

Think people are being a tad harsh on Pardew.

Most of these statements are just answers to questions in press conferences and I think its just a case that he's not great with words which leads to frequent foot in mouth incidents. I have a similar problem.  :lol:

Its credit to him really that he just gets on with it because I'm sure he is well aware of the problem and could easily take the non committal, say very little approach. I find his utterings much more keeganesque, except with added foot in mouth.

He just gets on and answers stuff without all the guarded crap you see from so many managers.

I think he's very middle of the road with it. Sometimes he seems to do it, other times will persevere with a player. He's not spectacularly stubborn, nor spectacularly ruthless.

Again, on past form, Pardew is pretty good at switching out senior players like Shola (just last week), Smith, Lovenkrands, Harper etc while publicly backing them.

I have no doubt that if Santon is fit and looking good in training, Raylor will be out on his arse, whatever praise he rightly gets at present. But that's the point, Pardew can't yet talk to the lad without a translator, has barely seen him in the flesh, and has only witnessed a few days training before his knee knack and 70mins of a reserve match (whey actually it was only Carver that attended that one).

Based on that, it's not difficult to understand Pardews honesty in saying that Santon would not necessarily have been an automatic starter in the team, and a back 4 that despite Raylors limitations is functioning pretty well, had it not been for his injury.

Guest VaVaVoom

See i like AP and most of what he's got to say but its little things like this that makes me think "fuck sake, why say that?".

Ok the lad doesnt speak a word of english so wouldnt understand it but im sure he's got people who can translate.

That to me is bad man management skills...or maybe Santon had been told from the start that he would have to fight his way into the team and earn the squads trust? Make sure he's made of the right stuff and fits the squads ethos too. You just dont know.

Either way he shouldnt be saying stuf like that to the media.

Meanwhile, Pardew revealed that full-back Davide Santon could return to full training next week after having fluid drained from his injured knee on Monday.

He said: "It was a little pea-sized amount of fluid, so there wasn't a lot of fluid on his knee.

"We think it's a really good response, but we are not going to rush him. He is going to run tomorrow, we think he is going to train at the weekend - he won't be involved in the [blackburn] game - and we are hoping on Monday that he is full training.

"If he breaks down in any of that period then we will make a decision on Wednesday on whether he has to have surgery.

"But at the moment we are very positive."

Meanwhile, Pardew revealed that full-back Davide Santon could return to full training next week after having fluid drained from his injured knee on Monday.

He said: "It was a little pea-sized amount of fluid, so there wasn't a lot of fluid on his knee.

"We think it's a really good response, but we are not going to rush him. He is going to run tomorrow, we think he is going to train at the weekend - he won't be involved in the [blackburn] game - and we are hoping on Monday that he is full training.

"If he breaks down in any of that period then we will make a decision on Wednesday on whether he has to have surgery.

"But at the moment we are very positive."

:thup:

Atleast it doesnt seem as serious as first thought in relation to cartilage. If he can get back to training without issue then great but a small keyhole operation to clear scar tissue isn't that bad and there's a two week break after the Wolves game anyway before a first real proper test against Spurs at home.

Is Holiett a left or a right winger? Either way, I wouldn't fancy him up against Taylor.

Right footed, but usually plays wide left.  Depends if that bollock headed twat Kean realises how poor Raylor is and switches him.  McLeish missed a trick Saturday.