Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/09/08/newcastle-united-plan-to-bolster-defence-in-january-61634-31791815/

One area where they no longer feel the need to strengthen is at left-back, where Davide Santon continues to improve.

The Italian feels as if he has settled into the routine of the Premier League now and after turning down two approaches from Serie A clubs, he is looking forward to a long future with United.

“I feel like I have settled into English football,” he said. “Maybe it takes time but I think I am now settled and I understand the Premier League better.

“Against Aston Villa I think I had a great game but I can do better. I feel good in England now, I want to stay in England for a very long time and I want to help my team for the rest of the season.”

At the start of the close season there was talk of a move to right-back as Pardew wanted to see progress from Santon.

That has been delivered while in his usual left-black slot, and happily for Newcastle, the defender is settled and performing to the top of his abilities.

“This summer, there was a chance for me to go to Italy. One or two teams in Italy wanted to take me back but I always wanted to stay in Newcastle. I love Newcastle and I do not want to leave,” he said.

“I did not want to take that chance because I like my coach, I like my team and I like everything surrounding the club. It is a great club and I feel really good about my future at Newcastle.”

In the meantime, the Magpies are optimistic that Coloccini’s ‘muscle injury’ will not be a serious set-back.

He has remained with the Argentina squad following scans which would suggest the problem is not as bad as first feared.

Newcastle were remaining cagey on the severity of the injury, but confirmed that the defender would stay in South America for the time being.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/09/08/newcastle-united-plan-to-bolster-defence-in-january-61634-31791815/

One area where they no longer feel the need to strengthen is at left-back, where Davide Santon continues to improve.

The Italian feels as if he has settled into the routine of the Premier League now and after turning down two approaches from Serie A clubs, he is looking forward to a long future with United.

“I feel like I have settled into English football,” he said. “Maybe it takes time but I think I am now settled and I understand the Premier League better.

“Against Aston Villa I think I had a great game but I can do better. I feel good in England now, I want to stay in England for a very long time and I want to help my team for the rest of the season.”

At the start of the close season there was talk of a move to right-back as Pardew wanted to see progress from Santon.

That has been delivered while in his usual left-black slot, and happily for Newcastle, the defender is settled and performing to the top of his abilities.

“This summer, there was a chance for me to go to Italy. One or two teams in Italy wanted to take me back but I always wanted to stay in Newcastle. I love Newcastle and I do not want to leave,” he said.

“I did not want to take that chance because I like my coach, I like my team and I like everything surrounding the club. It is a great club and I feel really good about my future at Newcastle.”

In the meantime, the Magpies are optimistic that Coloccini’s ‘muscle injury’ will not be a serious set-back.

He has remained with the Argentina squad following scans which would suggest the problem is not as bad as first feared.

Newcastle were remaining cagey on the severity of the injury, but confirmed that the defender would stay in South America for the time being.

:love:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120916/satisfied-santon-one-year-on_2281670_2919453?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Satisfied Santon One Year On

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Davide Santon has celebrated an impressive first year in English football by telling United fans: 'There's still more to come from me'.

The 21-year-old arrived on Tyneside last summer from Inter Milan, and following a patient start went on to establish himself as a permanent fixture in the left-back role during the second half of the campaign - making 27 appearances in all competitions.

One of the first names on manager Alan Pardew's teamsheet, Santon has certainly made an impact on the Magpies' fans, who have grown to love his regular forays forward to support attacks, while remaining solid and composed on the backfoot.

And while he admits that he could not be happier with life in the North-East, the Italian international is refusing to let complacency creep in and is determined to keep improving week by week.

"I have been here a year now and am really enjoying it," Santon told nufc.co.uk in an exclusive interview ahead of Monday's Premier League fixture at Everton.

"I like Newcastle - I like the city and the people in it. The fans are brilliant, I like my team and I like the manager. Better than this is impossible!

"Last season, the first few months were difficult for me because Serie A and the Premier League is totally different.

"But now I feel better on the pitch, and more confident so I am enjoying it.

"I want to help Newcastle keep improving, keep moving forward and be the best we can be.

"The fans have not seen the best of me yet though. I can still do more though - I can be much better - and I will improve while I am here."

Santon will almost certainly keep up his 100 per cent Premier League record this term when United travel to Goodison Park on Monday night.

The full-back is under no illusion as to the the task in front of the Magpies, but insists they take to the pitch with only one thing on their minds - three points.

"This is a really important game for us because last time, a draw at home against Aston Villa, was not fantastic," said Santon.

"We want to win because this year we want to stay in a good position and get into Europe again, but we know Everton is a difficult game.

"Last year we lost there, and so we know that Everton are a good team. But we will go to Everton not for a draw, not for a loss but for a win. We will be positive."

:thup:

PS: I'm heartened by the players coming out and saying the Villa result was disappointing (Colo did the same after the game). They're not as bad a team as some made out before the game, but if we're serious about getting into the top six or seven again it's the kind of game you have to win at home.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8083363/Santon-happy-despite-links

Newcastle full-back Davide Santon has promised there is more to come from him, but his agent has admitted he would be tempted by a move back to Serie A.

The 21-year-old Italian has established himself as Alan Pardew's first-choice left-back and is likely to line up there once again at Everton on Monday.

Santon, who joined Newcastle from Inter Milan last summer, admits he is still learning his trade in English football after a tough baptism last season.

He said: "Last season, the first few months were difficult for me because Serie A and the Premier League is totally different.

"But now I feel better on the pitch and more confident, so I am enjoying it.

"I want to help Newcastle keep improving, keep moving forward and be the best we can be.

"The fans have not seen the best of me yet, though. I can still do more, though, I can be much better - and I will improve while I am here.

"I am really enjoying it. I like Newcastle - I like the city and the people in it.

"The fans are brilliant, I like my team and I like the manager. Better than this is impossible!"

Interest

However, Santon's agent, Claudio Vigorelli, has been quoted in the Italian media, claiming there could be an interest from Roma.

"AS Roma might be interested in Davide, seeing that they rely on young players and have a coach good that will make them grow," he told Tuttomercatoweb.

"Santon is fine at Newcastle, but if Roma's interest was true, it would be a great opportunity for Davide."

Vigorelli also stated that he could not understand why Santon was being left out of Italy's Under-21 squad.

"I was surprised by the exclusion of Davide from Italy Under-21 squad," he said. "He plays as a regular in the Premier League, one of the top leagues in the world and he has proved to be one of the most reliable players.

"I hope that Davide can soon convince (Under-21 coach, Devis) Mangia and why not, (Italian National team coach) Cesare Prandelli."

Guest firetotheworks

There's far too much talk about this, even if it is positive. It reminds me of the Hughton talk in a way. Seemingly no threat to his job, but plenty of talk...

Was class against villa.

Where is the figure £10-12m coming from? Just made up?

Reply #5244. His arse.

:lol:

Actually surprised I didnt get that earlier. Was really expecting something from someone. People getting banned nowadays for abuse or what the fuck is the problem? :lol: Usually when someone does like I did he gets shredded into pieces. What happened to the football forum on here? :lol:

Was class against villa.

Where is the figure £10-12m coming from? Just made up?

Reply #5244. His arse.

:lol:

Actually surprised I didnt get that earlier. Was really expecting something from someone. People getting banned nowadays for abuse or what the f*** is the problem? :lol: Usually when someone does like I did he gets shredded into pieces. What happened to the football forum on here? :lol:

Probably because you're so respected around here.

Thought he was absolutely class last night and got forward well with some nice moments and excellent dribbling.

Defending is improving with each week too, the main thing that needs marked improvement is the final pass or shot as he seems a bit timid in around the box atm but i'm sure that will come with experience.

Thought he was absolutely class last night and got forward well with some nice moments and excellent dribbling.

Defending is improving with each week too, the main thing that needs marked improvement is the final pass or shot as he seems a bit timid in around the box atm but i'm sure that will come with experience.

Just shows what a difference having good footballers in defensive areas makes to a team. I also thought he was one of our best players yesterday.