Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

People are so hung up on what foot he uses, but it's not a video game!

The guy played numerous games at left back at friggin Inter, and was hugely rated off of these performances.

Chill out! He is fine either side.

it's just about balance mate, that's all, and especially if you've got jonas ahead of him the other team pretty much know what they need to do to stop us down the left.

he looks really comfortable on the ball though, him and ben arfa down the left is potentially incredible.

It's not that straight forward at all. You can't just say because they're both left footed the other team knows exactly how to stop them. Disagree completely.

the other team knows which way they're gonna go 9 times out of 10, and that they'll be running into traffic rather than space. i'm not saying it wont work, i'm not saying we wont have a good left flank, i'm saying we'll have a more predictable one and that's a bad thing imo.

Everything depends on his pace and technique..If you are useless with the ball, like Simpson, it will be a disaster putting him on left back..But from what I've seen from Santon he's fast and is capable of going both ways..It's his skills that makes him unpredictable, not his preferred fot..

have you played much football? as a defender?

I have, but at an inferiour level so it's hardly relevant for this discussion..My point is simple, Santon got skills, so he's probably capable of passing and crossing with both feet, although he prefers his right foot..Simpson on the other hand find it difficult to hit a simple pass..Consequently Simpson would be the shittest defender on earth if placed on left back, but not Santon.

contrary to what sam allardyce might tell you, the basics of the game are the same at any level. and one of them is if you know which way someone's likely to go, you've got a better chance of stopping them. i'm not even sure why you're talking about simpson to be honest.

Surely it's exactly the same problem if you had two left footed players on the left side? They are both more like to try and go on the outside? ???

it's a good point, but there's a couple of things i'd mention. the main one being that if you're beaten on the outside as a fullback the winger's running into space and can get the cross in, also the centre half is on the way over to cover you and he's left his man in a very dangerous position in the middle. it also means the defence are turned and facing their own goal which is a harder position to defend from than if someone cuts inside and delivers it, in which case defenders are facing away from goal and it's easier to clear.

if you're cutting inside a lot as a winger you're running into more traffic, cm's can come across and help without leaving too much space in dangerous areas.

all imo, of course.

Nah all good points, I am still very happy even if at left back as he has done it for a better club than us.

me too mate.

People are so hung up on what foot he uses, but it's not a video game!

The guy played numerous games at left back at friggin Inter, and was hugely rated off of these performances.

Chill out! He is fine either side.

it's just about balance mate, that's all, and especially if you've got jonas ahead of him the other team pretty much know what they need to do to stop us down the left.

he looks really comfortable on the ball though, him and ben arfa down the left is potentially incredible.

It's not that straight forward at all. You can't just say because they're both left footed the other team knows exactly how to stop them. Disagree completely.

the other team knows which way they're gonna go 9 times out of 10, and that they'll be running into traffic rather than space. i'm not saying it wont work, i'm not saying we wont have a good left flank, i'm saying we'll have a more predictable one and that's a bad thing imo.

Everything depends on his pace and technique..If you are useless with the ball, like Simpson, it will be a disaster putting him on left back..But from what I've seen from Santon he's fast and is capable of going both ways..It's his skills that makes him unpredictable, not his preferred fot..

have you played much football? as a defender?

I have, but at an inferiour level so it's hardly relevant for this discussion..My point is simple, Santon got skills, so he's probably capable of passing and crossing with both feet, although he prefers his right foot..Simpson on the other hand find it difficult to hit a simple pass..Consequently Simpson would be the shittest defender on earth if placed on left back, but not Santon.

contrary to what sam allardyce might tell you, the basics of the game are the same at any level. and one of them is if you know which way someone's likely to go, you've got a better chance of stopping them. i'm not even sure why you're talking about simpson to be honest.

Surely it's exactly the same problem if you had two left footed players on the left side? They are both more like to try and go on the outside? ???

it's a good point, but there's a couple of things i'd mention. the main one being that if you're beaten on the outside as a fullback the winger's running into space and can get the cross in, also the centre half is on the way over to cover you and he's left his man in a very dangerous position in the middle. it also means the defence are turned and facing their own goal which is a harder position to defend from than if someone cuts inside and delivers it, in which case defenders are facing away from goal and it's easier to clear.

if you're cutting inside a lot as a winger you're running into more traffic, cm's can come across and help without leaving too much space in dangerous areas.

all imo, of course.

Nah all good points, I am still very happy even if at left back as he has done it for a better club than us.

:nods:

A lot of heads in sand in this thread... Going off all the YT clips of him available and analysing them he is quite clearly right footed and not comfortable using his left... Thought it was telling that the clips he looked best in were as RB... And even more telling that he was playing RB in the majority of the clips... More than happy if RB is the plan for him as clearly an upgrade on Simpson...

I've watched most of his career and he has played more at LB than RB.

Not disagreeing with that point at all... But looking at him in isolation via YT it is clear to me he's more effective and more comfortable playing RB than LB... With the LB clips showing him to look worryingly uncomfortable and resulting in creating little space when inevitably cutting across (not in) everytime on his right foot...

People always complain about something..Not even when we sign a promising young player who is desperately needed just before deadline.

If that's directed at me, I'm not complaining by any means. By all accounts it's a very good signing. :thup:

Was merely pointing out the flaws in such an argument.

If he's that good, why are NUFC the only club in for him, and why is the price so low?

[/tron]

Roma and Juve wanted him, but Inter would not sell to teams in their own division (Cant argue with that).  But hey, hopefully he will get his confidence back and play as he did against manu back in 09