Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Ashley scared into action by 10,000 empty seats. :shifty:

Pardew has said quite consistently that we would sign a left back and a striker so it's not like that has changed because the ground wasn't full on Sunday.

Pardew has said quite consistently that we would sign a left back and a striker so it's not like that has changed because the ground wasn't full on Sunday.

Aye, people have every reason to believe what they say like. :lol:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhkbivMZp1qil7l3o1_400.gif

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/jocelyn1204/rockout.gif

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/13/129156784140693091.gif

I know this is meant a bit in jest, but in all seriousness it can't have gone un-noticed (the big drop in attendances) Even Ashley and Llambias aren't that blind.

Eh?  Didn't we get about 47,500 in against Arsenal, 5:30 pm KO live on TV?  Then 42,500 in agsint Fulham, 1pm KO on a Sunday and 3500 empty seats in the away end.  Should have just extended the away end from 2,800 to 3,000 as it is pointless against the likes of Fulham, Blackburn, Wigan etc.

People are so hung up on what foot he uses, but it's not a video game!

The guy played numerous games at left back at friggin Inter, and was hugely rated off of these performances.

Chill out! He is fine either side.

it's just about balance mate, that's all, and especially if you've got jonas ahead of him the other team pretty much know what they need to do to stop us down the left.

he looks really comfortable on the ball though, him and ben arfa down the left is potentially incredible.

It's not that straight forward at all. You can't just say because they're both left footed the other team knows exactly how to stop them. Disagree completely.

the other team knows which way they're gonna go 9 times out of 10, and that they'll be running into traffic rather than space. i'm not saying it wont work, i'm not saying we wont have a good left flank, i'm saying we'll have a more predictable one and that's a bad thing imo.

Everything depends on his pace and technique..If you are useless with the ball, like Simpson, it will be a disaster putting him on left back..But from what I've seen from Santon he's fast and is capable of going both ways..It's his skills that makes him unpredictable, not his preferred fot..

have you played much football? as a defender?

I have, but at an inferiour level so it's hardly relevant for this discussion..My point is simple, Santon got skills, so he's probably capable of passing and crossing with both feet, although he prefers his right foot..Simpson on the other hand find it difficult to hit a simple pass..Consequently Simpson would be the shittest defender on earth if placed on left back, but not Santon.

contrary to what sam allardyce might tell you, the basics of the game are the same at any level. and one of them is if you know which way someone's likely to go, you've got a better chance of stopping them. i'm not even sure why you're talking about simpson to be honest.

Because he's a mong who justifies his existence on the board by pretending to get into the 'theory' of football and offer some 'great insight' - it's car-crashingly excruciating to read.

Jeesus christ..Theories are propositons about football you ignorant..They're up for discussion...The problem with some supporters is that they're so in love with some players, or have such an fixated view of football,  that they refuse to discuss alternatives..And those who propose an alternative view are branded as idiots. . You and Ronaldo are experts in this particular area.

We had exactly the same discussion previous season with Nolan (his lack of fitness and incapability of distributing the ball)..I was of course slaughtered for even mentioning this..Even those with minimal brain activity (that excludes you and Ronaldo) now see how much more balanced and better our central midfield is.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but you could at least try to argument why instead of polluting the internet with idiotic remarks.

Spot on. I was critical of Nolan's signing from day 1 and got slated for it a few times but just seeing Cabaye in there now vindicates everything. Not that Nolan did badly for us but he stopped us moving on.

That is right..With Cabaye, both flanks are now "suddenly" involved in the build up play too..Wonder why..

Ronaldo: I've never argued that Loven is a better player than Bendter...Tool, waste of oxygen, moron, that's probably some very familiar words for you...poor thing..

When was the right-flank not involved in the build-up play? Did Barton manage to become "one of our best players" last season by never seeing the ball?

Just settle down man.

Next Alessandro Pistone?

Nah, Im not going to lie, I know very little about the guy other than he's class on FM. Literally cant be arsed reading the thread but, wouldnt mind the opinion of some watchers of Italian football who know a little bit about the guy?

Next Alessandro Pistone?

Nah, Im not going to lie, I know very little about the guy other than he's class on FM. Literally cant be arsed reading the thread but, wouldnt mind the opinion of some watchers of Italian football who know a little bit about the guy?

Check some vids on youtube to get an idea of how he plays, handy resource. Not sure many of us know much either.

When was the right-flank not involved in the build-up play? Did Barton manage to become "one of our best players" last season by never seeing the ball?

Just settle down man.

Bad formulation.Barton was involved in the build up play..He was able to cross the ball to Jonas when the opponent was unbalanced on that side, but because we didn't have a CM with passing abilities Barton, seldomly received the ball when he was unmarked. He doesn't have the pace or technique to beat his man, so he needs to be set up in unmarked space. That resulted in an unbalanced midfield where most of the crossers into the box came from the left side.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/082010/1282645288_headbanger-bangs-head.gif

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/092010/1283862919_turkey-burning-metal.gif

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/092010/1285095364_cat-bends-backwards.gif

Never been so glad to be throwing up :lol:

eh?

I'm off sick, if I wasn't I would be sitting in an office making my 7th toilet visit to check the latest.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/102010/1285930892_kid-sticks-head-in-toilet-bowl.gif

This thread, man :D

Even though I didn't want Pieters, a Pieters/Santon double signing would've gave us 2LBs, a RB and a CB. Versatility rules.

Like others, I'm still uneasy about a right footer on the left, but is he at least adequate with his left?