Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I often find with end product as far as fullbacks go at least that it's the last thing to improve in their development.

Take Baines for example, at Wigan he was a good player but his end product is no where close like it is now.

The more experienced Santon gets and the more confidence he gets from playing every week is likely when things like end product will come.

But the rest of his game is coming along fantastically and surely won't be too long before he starts to get international recognition.

He's always had a wand of a left foot though so that was always going to come.

Yeah agree, pretty sure he was banging in free kicks for Wigan.

He's never gonna be like Baines other than them both being attacking fullbacks. If he would cut in more and have some shots or look to slip passes in behind the defence for the strikers it would make up for his inability to cross the ball with his left foot.

He's never gonna be like Baines other than them both being attacking fullbacks. If he would cut in more and have some shots or look to slip passes in behind the defence for the strikers it would make up for his inability to cross the ball with his left foot.

Not saying that just using an example that Baines also took a while to improve his end product i would like/think Santon has a similar development.

Exactly, in isolation Santon is probably better on the left, but a Santon - Fergie combo is preferable to a Simpson - Santon one for me. That said, Simpson did somehow manage to look like a competent defender against the mackems.

The Jayumz Mcleyun effect

Looked abit lost when comming to that final third part. Also looked out of his comfortzone when he couldn't cut inside.

Yeah i felt he looked more comfortable on the left i can see what he's on about in the interview where he talks about Pardew seeing him as a LB.

He should just simply use his left foot more. He put one lovely first touch cross in against some team which clearly showed he's left isn't as poor as everyone thinks.

21 ffs, can't wait to see him in couple of years.

Not meaning to start up the tedious left back/right back debate again.  But.................

I prefer Santon at left back. 

Me too. But I prefer Ferguson on the left to Simpson on the right.

Tend to agree, but I don't think Fergie is a full back.  Would love to see him get some games further up the pitch.