Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

DAVIDE Santon has been backed for an Italy recall by delighted Newcastle manager Alan Pardew.

The United boss has hailed the progression of Santon from “boy to man” over the last 12 months and believes that he will line up at Anfield as a better defender than Liverpool's Jose Enrique, the man he replaced.

Pardew feels Santon shares the honour of player of the season so far with Hatem Ben Arfa and feels there is more to come from a player who seems to have added defensive rigour to his buccaneering attacking play.

“He is now right up there at the level Enrique was for us. With Hatem, he has been our best player this year and he is getting better,” said Pardew.

“I think he has a chance of the national side if he continues the form he has been showing.”

Interestingly, Pardew has admitted that Santon was hit hard by criticism of his defending last year but has toughened up over the summer.

“Some players are fast burners, some are slower burns,” he said.

“I always thought he would be slower because I think emotionally, he was not particularly an adult footballer.

He was a young boy footballer. He had amazing success as a boy footballer but now he is a man and a different player than the one they had at Inter Milan.

“Santon has done  better this year in both areas, defence and going forward. Last year, the weaker area was his defending and where he should position himself and how.

“There is always a player who can undo you, You always have to remember that as a full back and you have to accept that.

“I think Davide, when he had a game like that, it affected him but you know, I have seen Ashley Cole have some very difficult games but the next week you have to go back to what you are.

“And I think Davide has coped with that better this year. When he has had a disappointing moment in a game or a disappointing game, it has not affected him.

“Last year, it did affect him and you can’t be perfect – no one can be. Suarez, Gerrard, no one is perfect so that is what he is beginning to accept now.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/11/02/santon-s-international-claims-backed-by-pardew-61634-32157048/#ixzz2B7CyuBo8

Forget how young he is really, he's getting better for us. I trust him defensively, enjoy his dribbling forward. Just wish he could cross or shoot in the final third to really be a complete full back. He has time on his side to refine his game in that aspect.

The United boss has hailed the progression of Santon from “boy to man” over the last 12 months and believes that he will line up at Anfield as a better defender than Liverpool's Jose Enrique, the man he replaced.

Enrique actually gets matches these days?

Guest hydeous

If we had a back five of Phillip Lahm, Hummels, Carvalho and Buffon, we'd also still have Danny Simpson in there, hoofing away.

@topic : I love Santon, but I will not agree with the people who say he's better than Enrique until we start seeing more consistent assists / goals. End product, basically.

The other day, when he was at right back, he still cut in and didn't whip a cross in. I prefer him at left back. Once he gets a couple of assists, he will learn and his confidence should improve. I really hope he's going to be a world class player so we can feel proud when Real Madrid sign him for 20 Mill.

@topic : I love Santon, but I will not agree with the people who say he's better than Enrique until we start seeing more consistent assists / goals. End product, basically.

Why does he need that to be better? Enrique never had any end product anyway he was a rock solid defender who linked up well with Jonas but other than that he did not offer much going forward.

Will never understand why Santon needs better end product to be considered better when Enrique didn't have any either.