Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

The only attribute I've seen in Dummett is that he can block a cross now and again. The bare minimum a League One left-back should be able to do. He can't cross, he can't dribble, he's not particularly quick, he's not a great tackler, he slows down our attacks...there was one moment against City where we had the ball midway inside their half, he played a one-two with Cabella...and all of a sudden he'd turned back and played a long ball back into our half to either Coloccini or Krul. He's an awful player at this level.

The only attribute I've seen in Dummett is that he can block a cross now and again. The bare minimum a League One left-back should be able to do. He can't cross, he can't dribble, he's not particularly quick, he's not a great tackler, he slows down our attacks...there was one moment against City where we had the ball midway inside their half, he played a one-two with Cabella...and all of a sudden he'd turned back and played a long ball back into our half to either Coloccini or Krul. He's an awful player at this level.

Aye, but 0-6 against Liverpool.

Dummett is nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be - likewise - Haidara isn't as good as he's made out to be.

Despite plenty of hyperbole in all regards, neither of them are close to being as good a player as Santon IMO.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Dummett is nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be - likewise - Haidara isn't as good as he's made out to be.

Despite plenty of hyperbole in all regards, neither of them are close to being as good a player as Santon IMO.

Agreed.

Agreed, Santon is the much better player and gets some unnecessary stick on here I think. He's a big miss when he's not playing. Personally don't like Dummett at all either, would prefer to see Haidara given a go to see what he can do. We've seen what Dummett can do now and it isn't much.

Dummett's going to have to step up. He is capable of being a solid defender at least.

Don't disagree with much you say but I don't see this. I'd sooner Colback left-back and play Anita, Sissoko & De Jong as a three.

Dummett's going to have to step up. He is capable of being a solid defender at least.

No he isn't.

I don't want him in the team, but he's demonstrated he can be adequate at defending.

I know I've gone on about it but I'm mystified as to what Santon's actually good at. I don't doubt that there's probably a touch of the being Pardewed, because everyone has been, but as a basic full-back I still don't see what attributes he has in the first place. He can dribble occasionally but it's predictable whenever he tries it.

Dummett is no better than Danny Simpson was and he was was a huge weak link. Blocking and clattering people is no good at this level if that's all you bring. Seen nowt in the lad and although harsh it may be, he typifies the mindset of a pardew team.

I can't stand when footballers don't have the confidence (either it's their lack of ability or their manager's lack of coaching or trust) to play the ball forward. Time and time again Dummett will turn and just pass it backwards to Colo or Krul and any forward progress or retention is lost, b/c when it goes to Krul it's punted long and we lose it.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't really think that Dummett's played enough to say that either way with any great deal of confidence. We all deeply hated Danny Simpson like, poor lad. :lol:

• 2 months later...