Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

My buddy who's an Inter fan said he was seething about us getting him, especially for only 5M. "one for the future" apparently.

Unfortunately where we are at we need someone to hit the ground running... Hope people don't expect too much from the lad... Especially when playing out of position at LB...

I hope he can do a good job for us a left-back but in the future would like to see him on the right with a natural left-back. I played as a right-footed left-back for years (albeit not quite the same level  :pow:) and as long as you are comfortable with your left then it is fine. It can be quite an asset at times as when you attack you can cut-in on your stronger right and that worries defenders. I used to find it hard against really fast winfers who would attack you on your outside though.

Hasn't done Phillip Lahm any harm so I wouldn't worry about it.  :thup:

Guest Rainforest

I hope he can do a good job for us a left-back but in the future would like to see him on the right with a natural left-back. I played as a right-footed left-back for years (albeit not quite the same level  :pow:) and as long as you are comfortable with your left then it is fine. It can be quite an asset at times as when you attack you can cut-in on your stronger right and that worries defenders. I used to find it hard against really fast winfers who would attack you on your outside though.

Still, as a right-footed left back you are running into traffic instead of creating space. Im not saying its necessarily a bad thing to have em cut in, just sayin`

Guest VaVaVoom

Spot on.

I think he will do a very good job at LB.

I just really hope we get a natural LB in January as well as a striker.

Two quality signings away from a top 7 starting 11.

Spot on.

I think we'll go back in for a few people we didn't get in this summer.  Pieters being one of them.

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

What he's got going for him is his athleticism. He's young and he'll make mistakes but looking at his YT highlights he's obviously got pace, enough to catch up with Lennon, so he can recover which is very important in this league. I think he'll use his pace to block crosses or restrict the opposing wingers options as opposed to Pearcey style slide tackles.

Going forward, being right footed on the left might be an advantage sometimes because the winger facing him will have to tackle with his weaker foot.

His passing looks crisp too, a lot better then Jose's when he first came here.

Think he'll work out well.

Guest VaVaVoom

Spot on.

I think we'll go back in for a few people we didn't get in this summer.  Pieters being one of them.

You'd like to think so wouldnt you? I dont think its a dead cert that we will being spending in January like.

In a way i hope Simpson and Raylor prove themselves to be shite (At no cost to the toons results haha) so it forces the hand to get a LB and move Santon over.

Pieters is probably most likely but i really hope that should we go in for a LB that we bust a fuckin gut to get Cissokho!

[email protected]@St.James Park

“I feel that I am ready. I am naturally both-footed.

“It is no problem to play on either side as a full-back or on the right wing or left.

“I am defender but if the manager asks me to attack as well, it’s not a problem.”

“It is no problem to play on either side as a full-back or on the right wing or left.

“I am defender but if the manager asks me to attack as well, it’s not a problem.”

:thup:

Didn't even consider he can play in midfield as well.

We have lots of options in midfield, but no-one that can play on the right that I feel is either good enough to be in our strongest 11 (Obertan), or playing in their strongest position on the right (Jonas, Gosling, Marveaux), so him as an option there is a bonus.

But then we won't have a left back as we are far shorter in options in defence.

I actually edited out "probably more long term" for that reason. My sentence had too many coma's in it! But yes I agree.

Dyer thought he was a lot of things... Doesn't always make it so... He looks far more comfortable and effective on the right than he does left the times I've seen him...

Dyer thought he was a lot of things... Doesn't always make it so... He looks far more comfortable and effective on the right than he does left the times I've seen him...

I took it as a more, "I'll play anywhere for the team" type quote.

What he's got going for him is his athleticism. He's young and he'll make mistakes but looking at his YT highlights he's obviously got pace, enough to catch up with Lennon, so he can recover which is very important in this league. I think he'll use his pace to block crosses or restrict the opposing wingers options as opposed to Pearcey style slide tackles.

Going forward, being right footed on the left might be an advantage sometimes because the winger facing him will have to tackle with his weaker foot.

His passing looks crisp too, a lot better then Jose's when he first came here.

Think he'll work out well.

Highly rated by Mourinho at one time.

I took it as a more, "I'll play anywhere for the team" type quote.

Possibly was but looked like it was being highlighted on here to confirm he's two footed and as good a LB as RB... IMO he's not... Looking forward to see how he gets on... Very athletic and will assist aerially at the back with his height...

He's played left back for a team a lot better than us and in the champions league, by all accounts he hasn't let himself down there either.

I think we need to get over this "but, but, but he's right footed!" thing and look to his past.

Guest kingdawson

Laum is right footed but doesn't stop him being one of the best left backs in world football. Lee young Pyo was also a right footed left back who was very solid for us.

I am right footed but score alot more goals with my left.  If you can use both feet, you can use both feet.  Position, speed, reading of the game etc are all more important than which foot he uses.

If he has to turn onto his right when defending at left back (which he seems to do) this can be pretty dangerous and he will get found out. Hopefully this is not the case.

His pace should cover him when they initially attack down the line, plus when he turns (facing our goal) he'll tackle with his nearest (right) foot and when they initially cut inside he's defending with his favoured right foot as well. Win-win. It's not like all he does is stand on his left either.