They were all right...

Tooj

The sad thing is that a lot on here didn't heed the warnings of the past or such quotes as above and actually thought we'd spend on a striker. Quite cute really that people can still be optimistic despite Ashley' regime continually feeding us lies and broken promises.

Even with the lies and broken promises, we have Krul, Santon, Coloccini, Jonas, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux & Ben Arfa who'll make up the bulk of the squad in the near future...is that not reason enough to be optimistic?

Last season we had Krul, Enrique, Coloccini, Jonas, Tiote, Barton, Nolan, Carroll & Ben Arfa making up the bulk of our squad. We could have added the rest for about 10 million. That would have given me a reason to be optimistic.

I genunly think some people on here would think "oh well, atleast i'll save money on socks!" if they lost a leg, it's alright been posotive, but to hold such a one way optomistic viewpoint on literaly everything that happens cannot be healthy.

Couldn't give a flying f*** how much we spent, what the "balance book" is if we create a good squad, we could have done with another striker and centre-back but that squad's still good enough to do well.

It's good enough to hopefuly maintain what we achieved last season, mid-table mediocrity. Unless we have a s*** load of luck, our squad isn't good enough to do any better.

The only posotive this season imo is that Ashley may be one step closer to the door.

I thought looking for positives tonight made one thick as mince?

I never said that at all like, but by all means continue to speak for me if it makes you feel any better.

I have been one of the more patient fans in all of this and have been willing to put a positive spin on a lot thats gone on since January, however, if we really wanted to sign a striker he would have been here along with Cabaye and them lot. Ok, I am willing to forgive them losing out on Gameiro and Gervinho, but we should have had a list of strikers at that stage and when those deals failed they didn't have a clue. Maybe Erdinc was on the list as well but after that it was clutching at straws. If we ever wanted Ruiz why didnt we make the move a lot earlier not when he has nearly signed for another team.

I haven't read the whole thread, but i really wouldn't be able to understand anyone defending the board on not signing a striker. This is poor. Yes, there are clubs in a worse position to us at the moment, however, they may have an excuse for it, we didn't, the funds are there to be used, the club is still attractive to players. I'll be dissapointed if Pardew tows the club line, of course he'll tow the line but it will be refreshing to hear him say they have dropped the ball on this one.

Losing Nolan, Barton & even to a lesser extent Enrique I can forgive but not bringing in a striker I can't. We needed someone like Ba when we had Carroll so the day Carroll left we needed two strikers. The thought that Loven will get a load of game time is depressing.

I like the guy, he has given us a decent service since he has been at the club, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he gets injured if it means Vuckic and Sammy get a chance infront of him.

The only ounce of positivity I can spin on this is maybe Vuckic and Sammy may get some more game time, they look promising and maybe we will unearth a gem with them. However, its a massive gamble the board are taking.

Sorry for the long post.

I'm gutted.

Guest bimpy474

Anyone who isn't directing vile abuse towards Mike Ashley needs to sort there craic out.

:lol: and who isn't?

This is the point, just because we dont believe everything those players reckoned doesn't mean we dont hate Ashley, i certainly do.

It's not even that mate. I believe the players more than I'd believe the fans or journos, as they actually worked for the club, and knew more about the way it was run than anyone else did!! I just don't see the point in bringing it up. Instead of posting quotes from Keegan and Enrique on a message board, protest with your feet! You can sit here pining for King Kev and lapping up everything he says all you want. It won't change the fact that Ashley owns this club. I'd much rather be part of a concerted and organized effort to force the c*** out of the club.

Protesting wont work, the people who say protest are as thick as mince (joke not meant to offend) if they cant see that he doesn't care what you say about him.

Put aside the hate for him, he couldn't careless if you hate him anyway, comments about, only thing he cares about is money, boycott he'll understand that, a hit to his pocket, he has so much money that this club is just a drop in his empires pond, he isn't going to bankroll the club but he isn't going to let it go under either, if we vote with our feet he will only reduce player numbers/wages to cover it anyway.

If protesting was to work we would end up with maybe him gone but a team in league one. I'd rather have him in charge and finish mid-table than hound him out and be left in the lower leagues, shitty deal but i'm hoping if Pardew can do a good job with what he's got then someone might look at us and want to buy us from Ashley.

I wont do anything and i mean anything to damage the club i love, i hate the bloke but i love this club more, we cant get rid of him unless he decides he wants to go, thats horrible but a reality no matter what we do, to think otherwise imo is flogging a dead horse, i'm getting behind Pardew and the players, if they do well great, maybe a new owner may come in or the fat idiot might put more funds in, i doubt the latter so i'm hoping for option one.

But this club is my love, and i'm not Geordie, and i have only a inkling of what it means to a Geordie, but if the little i've gleamed from following this club my whole life, then it means more than most people could ever appreciate, i just wont damage it.

The sad thing is that a lot on here didn't heed the warnings of the past or such quotes as above and actually thought we'd spend on a striker. Quite cute really that people can still be optimistic despite Ashley' regime continually feeding us lies and broken promises.

Even with the lies and broken promises, we have Krul, Santon, Coloccini, Jonas, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux & Ben Arfa who'll make up the bulk of the squad in the near future...is that not reason enough to be optimistic?

Last season we had Krul, Enrique, Coloccini, Jonas, Tiote, Barton, Nolan, Carroll & Ben Arfa making up the bulk of our squad. We could have added the rest for about 10 million. That would have given me a reason to be optimistic.

I genunly think some people on here would think "oh well, atleast i'll save money on socks!" if they lost a leg, it's alright been posotive, but to hold such a one way optomistic viewpoint on literaly everything that happens cannot be healthy.

Couldn't give a flying f*** how much we spent, what the "balance book" is if we create a good squad, we could have done with another striker and centre-back but that squad's still good enough to do well.

It's good enough to hopefuly maintain what we achieved last season, mid-table mediocrity. Unless we have a s*** load of luck, our squad isn't good enough to do any better.

The only posotive this season imo is that Ashley may be one step closer to the door.

I thought looking for positives tonight made one thick as mince?

I never said that at all like, but by all means continue to speak for me if it makes you feel any better.

It was indeed some other cheeky fucker :lol:

You were merely astounded by the futile attempts at positivity. Apologies.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the opening post. Quite frankly anyone who thinks there is, is thick as mince.

To the person on the opening page who came out with the soopafan nonsense (can't be arsed to check who it was) have a word with yourself for f*** sake.

It was I. I've had a word with meself. Keegan is God and from this day forth I shall w*** over how right our ex-players and manager were. Thanks for setting me right fella :thup:

You facepalmed a guy for making a factual post worthy of discusion. You could have chose to leave the thread and not said a word, but it actualy seems that you've stuck around and joined in with said discusion (which you originaly facepalmed).

Odd realy.

I explained myself. If you can't be arsed to read said explanation, then that's your prerogative.

I read your 'explanation'. Didn't realise I had to agree with you like, sorry :lol:

Should we continue to bicker?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the opening post. Quite frankly anyone who thinks there is, is thick as mince.

To the person on the opening page who came out with the soopafan nonsense (can't be arsed to check who it was) have a word with yourself for f*** sake.

It was I. I've had a word with meself. Keegan is God and from this day forth I shall w*** over how right our ex-players and manager were. Thanks for setting me right fella :thup:

You facepalmed a guy for making a factual post worthy of discusion. You could have chose to leave the thread and not said a word, but it actualy seems that you've stuck around and joined in with said discusion (which you originaly facepalmed).

Odd realy.

I explained myself. If you can't be arsed to read said explanation, then that's your prerogative.

I read your 'explanation'. Didn't realise I had to agree with you like, sorry :lol:

Should we continue to bicker?

Over a pint? You're buying :thup:

I think Best & Ba can get 10 goals each if they play regular, I think Cabaye will score around 6 goals, can see Jonas getting a few more than usual going by the positions he was creating for himself against the Mackems & Fulham. We'll not score as many as last year but we haven't scored that many since Robson anyway I don't think, and I also don't think we'll concede near as many as last year either.

I would agree with your estimate from Ba, Best and Cabaye.  We'll probably get around 6 from defence and I doubt we'll get that from both wingers and Tiote combined.  As for not letting in many, so far we've played 3 teams who are playing shit and have amassed 4 points between them and scored the same number of goals, I think people are getting carried away with our results so far.

Maybe things will be better after the business in this window. From the afterword of Micheal Lewis' Moneyball:

Toronto was closer to a pure case study. Ricciardi, the new GM, had done what every enlightened GM will eventually do: fire a lot of scouts, hire someone comfortable with statistical analysis (Keith Law from baseballprospectus - a Web site, for cryin' out loud), and begin to trade for value, ruthlessly. He dumped as many high-priced players as he could and replaced them with a lot of lower-priced ones-and began winning more games. His biggest problem was finding teams willing to take bloated stars off his hands. (His best day all year, he told me, was when George Stein-brenner watched a Yankee right fielder drop a fly ball, blew a fuse, and demanded the Yankees buy Raul Mondesi off the Jays.) He slashed the Jays' payroll from $90 million to $55 million. In an efficient market, if you cut your payroll by 40 percent, you would expect to lose a lot more games. That's not what happened, of course. What happened was that the Jays went, overnight, from being a depressing group of highly paid underachievers to an exciting team. They were younger, cheaper, and better.

Maybe things will be better after the business in this window. From the afterword of Micheal Lewis' Moneyball:

Toronto was closer to a pure case study. Ricciardi, the new GM, had done what every enlightened GM will eventually do: fire a lot of scouts, hire someone comfortable with statistical analysis (Keith Law from baseballprospectus - a Web site, for cryin' out loud), and begin to trade for value, ruthlessly. He dumped as many high-priced players as he could and replaced them with a lot of lower-priced ones-and began winning more games. His biggest problem was finding teams willing to take bloated stars off his hands. (His best day all year, he told me, was when George Stein-brenner watched a Yankee right fielder drop a fly ball, blew a fuse, and demanded the Yankees buy Raul Mondesi off the Jays.) He slashed the Jays' payroll from $90 million to $55 million. In an efficient market, if you cut your payroll by 40 percent, you would expect to lose a lot more games. That's not what happened, of course. What happened was that the Jays went, overnight, from being a depressing group of highly paid underachievers to an exciting team. They were younger, cheaper, and better.

didn't barton mention that ?

I think Best & Ba can get 10 goals each if they play regular, I think Cabaye will score around 6 goals, can see Jonas getting a few more than usual going by the positions he was creating for himself against the Mackems & Fulham. We'll not score as many as last year but we haven't scored that many since Robson anyway I don't think, and I also don't think we'll concede near as many as last year either.

I would agree with your estimate from Ba, Best and Cabaye.  We'll probably get around 6 from defence and I doubt we'll get that from both wingers and Tiote combined.  As for not letting in many, so far we've played 3 teams who are playing s*** and have amassed 4 points between them and scored the same number of goals, I think people are getting carried away with our results so far.

I am shitting myself, yes I am chuffed we have 7 points at the moment, but we have been poor and could have lost all  of the games really. Arsenal on another day would have scored a couple, Sunderland started really well, and God knows what would have happened if they scored 1st and Fulham also started well. Maybe we can be positive and say even though we've been average at best we've still got results but this could be a long hard season, what happens if Colo gets fucked I don't even want to think about.

Very interesting. I think what people forget is that sport isn't an "efficient market" in any way. The amount of spending does have a correlation to success, but the link is much stronger at the top of the market (i.e. the top 4 or 5 clubs in the Prem) than in the middle.

In the middle, it's better to be smart than to overspend. I'm not entirely convinced we are smart, but some of the deals we've done suggest we might be.

It is a hard tactic for football fans to get behind though, especially ours, because we're so used to solving our problems with big-money signings.

At the very least, we'll fail with signings now because we're too tight to be taken for a ride, where before we failed in the opposite way. Both ways can be harmful if taken to extremes, but I tend to prefer not being taken for a mug by every player that fancies a big pay day.

I would agree with your estimate from Ba, Best and Cabaye.  We'll probably get around 6 from defence and I doubt we'll get that from both wingers and Tiote combined.  As for not letting in many, so far we've played 3 teams who are playing shit and have amassed 4 points between them and scored the same number of goals, I think people are getting carried away with our results so far.

After three games, that is a really bollocks stat twisted to your own agenda. They only have 4 points between them because we got a result against them.

We are good enough for midtable, but nethertheless £35m of broken promises and incompetence from Derek Llambias once more.

Very interesting. I think what people forget is that sport isn't an "efficient market" in any way. The amount of spending does have a correlation to success, but the link is much stronger at the top of the market (i.e. the top 4 or 5 clubs in the Prem) than in the middle.

In the middle, it's better to be smart than to overspend. I'm not entirely convinced we are smart, but some of the deals we've done suggest we might be.

It is a hard tactic for football fans to get behind though, especially ours, because we're so used to solving our problems with big-money signings.

On the face of it some of our signings do seem smart, but any goodwill goes out of the window withn a lack of a striker which was obvious to all that we were desperate for. Surely Ashley is smart enough to see this? Which makes me think he's taking the piss.

Anyone who isn't directing vile abuse towards Mike Ashley needs to sort there craic out.

This is the point, just because we dont believe everything those players reckoned doesn't mean we dont hate Ashley, i certainly do.

It's not even that mate. I believe the players more than I'd believe the fans or journos, as they actually worked for the club, and knew more about the way it was run than anyone else did!! I just don't see the point in bringing it up. Instead of posting quotes from Keegan and Enrique on a message board, protest with your feet! You can sit here pining for King Kev and lapping up everything he says all you want. It won't change the fact that Ashley owns this club. I'd much rather be part of a concerted and organized effort to force the c*** out of the club.

Protesting wont work, the people who say protest are as thick as mince (joke not meant to offend) if they cant see that he doesn't care what you say about him.

Put aside the hate for him, he couldn't careless if you hate him anyway, comments about, only thing he cares about is money, boycott he'll understand that, a hit to his pocket, he has so much money that this club is just a drop in his empires pond, he isn't going to bankroll the club but he isn't going to let it go under either, if we vote with our feet he will only reduce player numbers/wages to cover it anyway.

If protesting was to work we would end up with maybe him gone but a team in league one. I'd rather have him in charge and finish mid-table than hound him out and be left in the lower leagues, shitty deal but i'm hoping if Pardew can do a good job with what he's got then someone might look at us and want to buy us from Ashley.

I wont do anything and i mean anything to damage the club i love, i hate the bloke but i love this club more, we cant get rid of him unless he decides he wants to go, thats horrible but a reality no matter what we do, to think otherwise imo is flogging a dead horse, i'm getting behind Pardew and the players, if they do well great, maybe a new owner may come in or the fat idiot might put more funds in, i doubt the latter so i'm hoping for option one.

But this club is my love, and i'm not Geordie, and i have only a inkling of what it means to a Geordie, but if the little i've gleamed from following this club my whole life, then it means more than most people could ever appreciate, i just wont damage it.

Top post apart from your opening line.

Two sides of the argument which I think everyone needs to appreciate. Instead of us all saying those who are happy to sit back and wait are thick, and the ones who are protesting are thick, can we all not at least show some understanding that different people want to show their anger different ways? We should all support one another regardless of our differences. Ultimately, we want rid of the twat and should applaud anyone who is willing to try and make him fuck off. I agree that people need to actively protest, and they will be taken notice of, that's not to say I'll definitely be out there doing it.

Try telling about 1,500 L7 season ticket holders that Ashley doesn't listen to them. It's the only reason he moved us.

didn't barton mention that ?

Not the better part :lol:

Top post apart from your opening line.

Two sides of the argument which I think everyone needs to appreciate. Instead of us all saying those who are happy to sit back and wait are thick, and the ones who are protesting are thick, can we all not at least show some understanding that different people want to show their anger different ways? We should all support one another regardless of our differences. Ultimately, we want rid of the t*** and should applaud anyone who is willing to try and make him f*** off. I agree that people need to actively protest, and they will be taken notice of, that's not to say I'll definitely be out there doing it.

Try telling about 1,500 L7 season ticket holders that Ashley doesn't listen to them. It's the only reason he moved us.

Good post :thup:

Well the boycott is well under way anyhow 42,000 for the Fulham game. I think we are regularly going to see much lower attendances at SJP than we have seen since we've been in the Premier League. Maybe Ashley will then bail out and sell up, we can only hope so, we are going absolutely nowhere being run like this.

After three games, that is a really bollocks stat twisted to your own agenda. They only have 4 points between them because we got a result against them.

We are good enough for midtable, but nethertheless £35m of broken promises and incompetence from Derek Llambias once more.

The three teams that we have played have not won a game between them, they've drawn 4 and lost 5.  They haven't just played Newcastle, 2 thirds of the games they've played haven't been against us. :lol:

Just for Mick...This season so far....

Enrique - 3 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 2 goals conceded.

R.Taylor - 3 games, 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 goal conceded.

Barton - 2 games, 0 goals, 0 assists.

Cabaye - 3 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Carroll - 3 games, 0 goals, 0 assists.

Best - 1 game, 2 goals, 0 assists.

Ba - 2 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Fuck you all.  :yeah:

Some real idiotic responses on here to a perfectly fine opening post. Are we becoming so polarized as fans that we can no longer voice an opinion on the board?

Shameful facepalms.

Aye, I apologise about mine. What can I say, I thought the OP was a massive overreaction and I allowed myself to be brought down to the level of the facepalm. Hey, nobody's perfect.

Just for Mick...This season so far....

Enrique - 3 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 2 goals conceded.

R.Taylor - 3 games, 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 goal conceded.

Barton - 2 games, 0 goals, 0 assists.

Cabaye - 3 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Carroll - 3 games, 0 goals, 0 assists.

Best - 1 game, 2 goals, 0 assists.

Ba - 2 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Fuck you all.  :yeah:

Mint, so Taylor and Best are better than Enrique and Carroll? Sorted.