Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Guest Rainforest

There is just no point in signing a striker, through a loandeal or otherwise - because we already have shitloads of strikers. The problem is not quantity, its quality.

The only two realistic strikers I can come up with who would provide a straight upgrade from what we now have in Best and Ba, would be either Cissè or Sturridge on loan.

The other targets - such as Maiga, Roux, Erdinc - I feel would be slight upgrades at best, sidegrades more realistically. Cant be fucked with another Xisco.

Isn`t Totti in the middle of a feud with Luis Enrique in Roma?

Loan deal  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:

You'd think we'd never signed a player the way some go on.

I honestly can't remember the last time we made a January signing I was happy with. (And that includes pre-Ashley)

It's a terrible time to be on the market, and if we can't even get deals done in the summer, it's fairly obvious how we'll react to the rampant price-gouging in January.

We signed Woodgate in a January transfer window. Our best January signing ever really.

Which was eight years ago and arguably our only successful January business since.

There was Nolan, but most of us were livid that we had signed him at the time.

And Williamson/Routledge I guess.

We signed Woodgate in a January transfer window. Our best January signing ever really.

Which was eight years ago and arguably our only successful January business since.

There was Nolan, but most of us were livid that we had signed him at the time.

And Routledge I guess.

I, for one, was quite happy when he signed. Thought he was the midfield presence we needed (ie. a fighter) to help escape relegation - of course I was proved wrong when May 2009 arrived.

Actually the Jan transfer window in the championship was probably the only time Ashley's been sensible and done what was needed tbh.

Brought in Williamson and Hall to replace/cover for Taylor who injured, a new striker in Best, a short term replacement for the injured Enrique in PVA, and after crying out for a right-winger he got the best one in the division by signing Routledge.

Saying it's in the middle of the season so we can expect no one is no excuse.

Not an excuse, just an expectation.

Obviously it would be easier for us to sign players in the Championship given that it would be the equivalent of Man United trying to sign players in the Premiership. Fees we ended up paying were pretty minimal as well.

If you look at what our January business in the Premiership has been for the past few years, you'll get a general idea of what to expect from January. The answer is nothing or something pretty close to nothing.

Actually the Jan transfer window in the championship was probably the only time Ashley's been sensible and done what was needed tbh.

Brought in Williamson and Hall to replace/cover for Taylor who injured, a new striker in Best, a short term replacement for the injured Enrique in PVA, and after crying out for a right-winger he got the best one in the division by signing Routledge.

Saying it's in the middle of the season so we can expect no one is no excuse.

:nods:

When does the loan market open? Do you think we could end up getting someone on loan? Would you?

I think personally, unless we could get someone like Sturridge on loan (which i doubt) then there would be little point.

Instead of getting a young lad like Macheda why not give that chance to Vuckic or Sameobi?

I'd have them both infront of Ranger and Lovenkrands.

The loan market is closed until January for Premiership clubs. Premiership clubs can loan out players to the lower divisions from this coming Thursday.

i think it all depends on how santon settles in at left back. We definately do need a striker.. but only a striker that will improve our side.

A versatile midfielder + cover for centre back. A right back or a left back.. depending on santon.

:suicide:

Would love Rodallega. Seems he could be short on games with Di Santo looking like Martinez's preferred choice. Though not sure if he thought he would be leaving in the Summer therefore started Di Santo (who has not once looked good before this season) :dontknow:

Anyway, I'd like Rodallega. Shouldn't be too expensive either. Can only think of interest form Liverpool in the recent past so hopefully they won't show more interest in Jan. If Ashley was clever he'd try and tie up a deal now. Dreamers will dream.

:suicide:

Would love Rodallega. Seems he could be short on games with Di Santo looking like Martinez's preferred choice. Though not sure if he thought he would be leaving in the Summer therefore started Di Santo (who has not once looked good before this season) :dontknow:

Anyway, I'd like Rodallega. Shouldn't be too expensive either. Can only think of interest form Liverpool in the recent past so hopefully they won't show more interest in Jan. If Ashley was clever he'd try and tie up a deal now. Dreamers will dream.

If he can't get a game for Wigan up front, then why would you want him here? Martinez prefers a striker with 4 goals in 900 appearances! Should tell us something.