Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Yakubu is a bit of an odd one though isn't he? Plays great one game plays poorly the next, why Moyes lost patience (and that he'd long stopped bothering anyway iirc) wouldn't go down well with Pardew and I suspect he wouldn't like being second choice.

Also despite his pretty decent scoring record...really don't like him. Just one of those players who doesn't seem as good as his record suggests and makes me think he'll stop scoring at any moment

Why not Ash? He has scored around a goal every other game this season and we will be missing both our goalscorers for an extended period. Would love some youngster who is already ready to step straight in but how realistic is that going to be?

Why not Ash? He has scored around a goal every other game this season and we will be missing both our goalscorers for an extended period. Would love some youngster who is already ready to step straight in but how realistic is that going to be?

Have a think of how people get on Shola's back for the type of player he is, calling him lazy, etc. Now imagine that but even worse. Yakubu wouldn't last five minutes up here. One of our major problems is lack of movement which with the right formation being deployed, our front three will improve that/already have done in some games. Adding Yakubu into the mix to just stand around in the box won't help us one bit. He scores goals at Blackburn because they just hoof it up to him, he doesn't have to do anything and that's how he likes it. That's before we even get to his age and I doubt he'd be on a wage we'd be willing to pay either.

I think most will forgive if he scores goals which is something he often does. Understand your points but still think we need to add a few players to the squad and with the likely budget available we will probably have some 'steady' squad players to challenge on all fronts.

I think most will forgive if he scores goals which is something he often does. Understand your points but still think we need to add a few players to the squad and with the likely budget available we will probably have some 'steady' squad players to challenge on all fronts.

Agree on that but I'd prefer the squad to be filled out by younger players rather than ones getting on. I also think we might spend a bit of money on a decent striker too.

Yak needs to play every game, if he doesn't that 17 in 30 quickly becomes 2 in 20. He needs the game time to get the goals (you don't say?) Coming in to the team and back out again just wont work.

No to Yakubu. He's not all that good to be honest, he's had a good season for Blackburn but mostly he's Championship quality. His wages after being with a few Premiership sides and a rich Leicester side in recent seasons will probably be rather high and for a 3rd choice striker I don't think we will go over £20k- £30k per week.

Yakubu would be hypocritical of the policy we use for imports in other positions. He's a decent striker but we've moved on from that sort of signing; i can't see him being considered (nor anyone from the relegated sides tbh*) and i wouldn't blame the club. Plus, wouldn't he be playing for Nigeria in the African Nations Cup? Would be a bit of a pisstake having three of our strikers leave for a month.

That being said, i do think we need to sign a forward. *Hoilett would be a good shout.

Swap Ba for Gameiro would be good business?

Nah, Ba hasn't become a bad player overnight. He's quality and once he scores I have no doubt he'll go on a little run again. Few goals over Pre Season would leave him confident for Europa Leage Qualifiers.

Guest ThievingMagpie

I'd take a punt on Billy Sharp tbh. Not exactly a prototypical striker but I think he just scores goals and finishes chances and half chances with near prodigious regularity.

Outside of FM and FIFA, is Martin Olsson any good?

Heard a few rumours of him being linked with bigger clubs, could be his agent trying to get him away from Blackburn mind.

In any case I think we need to buy a lot more players than a lot of people are saying, especially if we're going to get rid of the likes of Guthrie, Simpson and Raylor, who could be good squad players. We don't want our already-small squad to be fatigued or pick up injuries from playing extra games and have our league form suffer.

EDIT: Just to add, if Simpson is too big for his boots I hope the door hits him faster than a goalbound shot when he's stood on the line.

I'd take a punt on Billy Sharp tbh. Not exactly a prototypical striker but I think he just scores goals and finishes chances and half chances with near prodigious regularity.

He won't be going anywhere. He only just signed for Southampton in January and he's pretty much granted first team football there.