Chronicle Questions

mattypnufc

Q14: Is NUFC now a "selling club"?

By Evening Chronicle

Sep 10 2011

Add a comment

Recommend

inShare

Many fans now consider us to be a "selling club" after the departures of Nolan, Enrique, Carroll and Barton. How do you respond to this?

THE term "selling club" is a misnomer. In reality all clubs are selling clubs at the right price – even the Premier League’s top six clubs.

We’re no more a selling club than any other in the Premier League – you sell players, you buy players; that’s football. The Manchester Citys of this world operate on a different level to most other clubs, including ourselves, and it’s easier for those with greater financial clout to hold on to their best players and replace those they need to.

The fact is, we’ve done some excellent business in this window and brought in seven very good players. The quality of these new signings shouldn’t be overshadowed by the fact that we were unable to bring in an additional striker.

I’ve addressed the circumstances of Andy and Joey’s departure in earlier answers. In relation to Kevin Nolan, we offered Kevin a new contract at the start of the summer. Unfortunately he wanted a longer deal than we were prepared to offer and ultimately an approach came in from West Ham which worked for the player and his long-term security, as well as for the club..

The situation with Jose was very straightforward. We tried to negotiate a new contract with him early in the 2010/11 season, but the player wasn’t willing to enter negotiations at that time. When we did eventually get round the table with Jose we offered him an exceptional deal. His advisors subsequently made it clear to us that he wanted to pursue a new challenge elsewhere.

If a player wishes to leave the club, then there’s only so much we can do to try and keep him. We did everything we could, but he chose to move on. Faced with the prospect of running his contract down and leaving for nothing, we had to look to sell.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/10/q14-is-nufc-now-a-selling-club-72703-29393441/#ixzz1XXoVr7y7

Guest sicko2ndbest

Very good and should be applauded for being so open

A positive response from fans will ensure a more open and transparent board

I meant to start this earier, but a game of watchword(s) bingo wouldn't have gone amiss

'Value for money', 'tried very hard' and 'right for the club' would have been my guesses as well as an Ashley sob story thrown in somewhere

Utterly predictable answers.

So many of their responses throw up additional questions and counterarguments and it would be interesting to get their opinions in a traditional interview format.

But instead they will only answer questions in writing and won't get into a debate. So then they can't be pressed on any areas where they will be exposed and we are only spoonfed what they want us to hear and aren't given the opportunity to put our views across.

Wankers.

but a section of supporters don’t make him feel welcome at St James’ Park, or when he attends away games. Criticism is part and parcel of the job, abuse is not. This makes life uncomfortable and certainly doesn’t make Mike feel more inclined to put his hand once again in his pocket. That’s not stubbornness, it’s human nature. I think most of us would feel exactly the same

Haha unbelievable. Stop chanting about mike or else!

Entirely predictable, but didn't think I'd witness more patronising waffle from Llambias.

Mike Ashley isn't prepared to support us because he gets stick and the club can't get by without his support?

Get fucked, he'd be snookered and so would the club without the support of the fans, do not belittle us with more patronising nonsense. he got himself into this mess from not doing his homeword, relegation, paying off countless managers, long term contracts to players not fit to wear the shirt, alienating fans, zero ambition and generally making us not trust a word any of you say through the lies and contempt you treat us with.

Nothing really exciting there, to be honest and whilst they have answered questions - more are still to be answered and time is the only way we will be able to judge. In response to what they said about fan's viewing with cynicism, well they did admit to a court of arbitration that they had intentionally misled the supporters of the club (amongst others) They hung themselves when that was admitted.

Thoroughly predictable (yet fair for the most part) answers from Llambias, met with a thoroughly predictable response.

Yup, can't see what else they could have said. I didn't think it was patronising, just clear and open without really going into much depth. Fair enough, I'm just thinking about the QPR game at the moment, can't fucking wait

I wonder what an 'unbelievable offer' is for MA though, not that I expect anyone to come close.

Answers were better than I expected. Its easy to pick holes and read between the lines but I can't really be bothered to do that. Overal I think it's the first positive communication from the club on a while. I don't really trust dl or ma but I'm just a bit bored with the negativity I just want to enjoy the football. I guess I am in the "we don't care about ashley... All we care about is nufc...." camp rather than the "get out of our club... Get out of our..." one.