Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

Pievert showed glimpses of his talent during his time here, but his attitude and commitment were awful. I remember him coming on in a European tie, after a few weeks out and he'd comically ballooned in weight. His neck was huge!

I'll remember him for his two cup goals v Chelsea and Spurs but generally he couldn't be bothered to move his fat arse out of the bars of Jesmond.

One of Fat Fred's daftest mistakes and I suspect he was only signed to massage Shepherd's own ego. I don't think for a second that Bobby really wanted to sign him (same applies to Carr and Butt actually).

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer was the perfect all-round centre-forward and would cost £50m or so today easily. Rooney is the better footballer in terms of vision, skil and eye catchy performances but Shearer was by far the most effective and better all-rounder in terms of scoring goals and general play which at the end of the day is the number one task of a striker, centre-forward or attacker. Putting the goal into the back of the net. Shearer could do it with either foot, with his head, from long range or short range, be it a volley, a pile driver, a side footer, a tap in or a diving header, he scored all kinds of goals, poachers' goals, spectacular goals, the lot. In his pomp he could dribble, beat a man, show quick heals and burst past defenders. Paulo Maldini was once asked which striker in the world woudl he least like to face and he said Shearer. Ronaldo, the Brazillian one, was aksed which forward he rated the most in the world and he said Shearer. Van Basten was asked which striker he liked the most and he too said Shearer. Why did those greats pick him out? For me they did so because of his all-round game.

Heading? 10

Shooting? 10

Hold up play/leading the line? 10

Goalscoring? 10

Technique? 9

Skill? 8

FM tastic kind of markings I know but he could strike the ball from all kinds of distance with either foot, be it a moving ball, a dead ball with power, accuracy and great technique. Think of his goal vs Spurs in the FA Cup semi, or how about the one at home to Everton? Or maybe the goal vs Villa at SJP? Or that free-kick against Man Utd at Old Trafford. Shearer's shooting was fucking awesome.

Hold up play and leading of the line... well not many defenders got the best of him and it was no surprise that he still performed to a hig level regardless of who he played alongside and with and the type of player. From Sutton at Blackburn to Sherinham for England all the way to Bellamy. Shearer was the ultimate centre-forward at leading the line and holding up play for others.

Goalscoring? Just look at his record. He played in some awful Newcastle and England sides but still topped the charts. Shearer was a born goalscorer, arguably teh finest of his generation. Tony Adams once joked that Shearer was slow but was lightning quick at getting to that ball to strike on goal. Think of his goal against Sheff Utd in the FA Cup Semi or that record breaking goal against Pompey at SJP.

Technique? Shearer rarely wasted a ball and had very good technique. On a par with Bergkamp. That goal against Villa at SJP for example. He could control the ball with ease, be it with his foot, body or head.

heading? For a 5.9 striker he towered above most and was deadly with his head.

Skill? Again he was very underrated. He used to do the step over for fun at Blackburn, dropping that shoulder, step over, then away from his man. Shearer wasn't as skilful as say Henry or Ronaldo or Rooney but he had good skill levels.

In short he was fucking immense, for us and as an all-round center-forward or number 9, better than Rooney.

Put Shearer in this Man Utd side or the ones before and he'd of topped 40 every season. That's why Fergie was desperate to sign him not just once but twice and why today he still bemoans the one that got away.

By the way, imagine Shearer and Rooney together. Fuck me, they would obliterate any defence.

Guest Howaythetoon

Kluivert in his pomp was the perfect number 9 and indeed 10 and the one player who on his day was probably the best. I remember him as an 18-year old for Ajax, he was awesome. A centre-forward and playmaker rolled into one. He lost his way towards the end of his Barca time and the Kluivert we got was basically a fat, lazy, past it. Still, his touch, vision and technique was a level above anything we had at the club, including Shearer.

There's a generation of people who didn't see Shearer in his pomp and base their opinions of his footballing ability on his punditry.

That is the only possible reason I can think for anyone to make some of the statements they're making about The Great Man

i think some people are under-rating him a bit because they're thinking more of his later years when he wasnt as good.

Personally i think Rooney on form is the best English player i've ever seen, though the fact he goes through periods of self-doubt and selfishness where he looks crap should count against him.

One thing with Shearer is that the injuries really took it out of him. The likes of Giggs still looks fresh at 35+ whilst for the last two years of his career, Shearer looked like he was wading through tar.

No way in hell does Shearer deserve a 10 for both heading and goalscoring, like. Not unless there's an 11, 12 or 13.

How doesn't he deserve a 10 for goalscoring like?

Because in the history of football, there have been better goalscorers. Giving him a 10 for heading is ludicrous; Ferdinand and Carroll are two of our former players who did it better.

No way in hell does Shearer deserve a 10 for both heading and goalscoring, like. Not unless there's an 11, 12 or 13.

Because in the history of football, there have been better goalscorers. Giving him a 10 for heading is ludicrous; Ferdinand and Carroll are two of our former players who did it better.

I wasn't asking about heading, I was asking about goalscoring.  To give him less than 10 for goalscoring given his record and clear goalscoring instinct would be ridiculous.

What score would you give him then??? (Goalscoring)

9. Assuming 10 is the top grade.

That's fair enough tbf.

For 10's you're talking Pele, Muller, Puskas, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Romário etc.

Leon Best. :bluestar:

I thought it was that obvious I didn't need to mention Besty. ;)

I disagree.  Out of the thousands and thousands of players that have played down the years you're saying that only a handful deserve a top mark for goalscoring, and that the player with the best goalscoring record of the last 20 years in England doesn't get a look in, howay man.