Nottingham Forest v NUFC - 20/09/11 @ 7.45pm - Carling Cup 3rd Round (not on TV)

Fenham Mag

I think giving the opportunity to impress to players like Gosling is very important for all competitions actually, it's no good letting them rot on the bench, or bringing them in to cover for an injury and finding they're not good enough. I don't want us to throw a weaker side at this game because we're not taking it seriously, it's more about making sure noones over worked. Ideally we should have a team that we can sub on to bring to reliable strength in great need.

We should put out the best team available. Want to take the cups seriously this year.

Yep. In other words, drop Obertan and play Marveaux. And start HBA if he's up for it. It's not like he's disabled until the 73rd minute, when most people seem to want him on the pitch. Sammy in for Jonas could also do. Let's not fuck around here.

Guest mimifrench

Do you know if HBA will start this match or just come off the bench for the last 20 minutes ?

Really think it will depend on the physionomy of the game...

And is Nottingham Forest renowned for their rough game ?

Not so much that, more that they have had a bad start in the league and the manager is under pressure. Players could be trying a bit too hard to make tackles.

I would go for:

Krul

Simpson  Colo      Saylor  Ferguson

Obertan  Guthrie  Gosling Marveaux

Ba      Best

I would love a cup run and I reckon this is the strongest we could go with a few key players being rested. Should be able to win with this side^.

Krul

Simpson    Perch    Coloccini    R. Taylor

Obertan    Gosling    Guthrie    Marveaux

Sh. Ameobi    Lovenkrands

Subs: Elliot, S. Taylor, Ferguson, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Sa. Ameobi, Ba.

This is mainly based on Pardew saying he wants to use this game to "keep the squad happy", but it's a tough one to predict. What I've taken from that comment is that he'll give starts to the senior players who haven't been involved too much so far/didn't start against Villa. Hopefully if it does look something like this we'll get an opportunity to give Ferguson and Sammy some gametime, while also sneaking Hatem on near the end to torment them.

I do think that team would have enough to see us through, mind, although if it was just a bit stronger on paper I'd be far happier. It would be a good chance to see if Perch does have any credentials at all as legitimate centre-half backup because if Forest start Derbyshire and Miller it could be a good test for him. Pardew might just bring him in for one of the fullbacks, though, to keep the centre-half pairing together, but I have a feeling he'll hedge his bets and try and give one a rest/minimise the risk of injury.

Have I imagined that this is on the tellybox?

In your dreams aye.

Leeds v Man utd is on TV on tuesday and Brighton v Liverpool is on wednesday.

There'll be highlights on ITV at about 1AM probably.

BBC at 11.20pm on Wednesday, but in typical fashion they'll probably mention the Tuesday games as an afterthought right before the credits.

Guest mimifrench

And is Nottingham Forest renowned for their rough game ?

Not so much that, more that they have had a bad start in the league and the manager is under pressure. Players could be trying a bit too hard to make tackles.

Thanks for answering me.