Newcastle United vs Blackburn Rovers pre-match thread - 24/09/11 @ 3pm

Dave

Guest mimifrench

Of course, potentially you should, quite easily, hammer them... but i noticed that it's more against lower team than you that you struggle. Against some of the Big four teams, you're really doing great.

Any news on the start XI ? Ba or Best to start up front ? (maybe the two)

What I would go for:

Krul

Simpson Saylor Colo Fergy

Cabaye Tiote

Marveuax                  Jonas

Best Ba

Harper

Raylor

Perch

Vuckic

Obertan (On for Jonas 70 mins)

Ben Arfa (On for Ba on 65 mins)

Samiobi (On for Best 70 mins)

Those three subs would absolutely smash a team that had played 60-70 mins of footy.  Maybe Bburns plan will be to fluke an earyish goal and then sit on the lead.  Maybe they will get their CMs to sit deep and just break the game up with a bit of rough and tumble (esp if Barfa is on the pitch).  To counter this I would then go:

Krul           

Saylor Colo

Simmo        Tiote    Fergy

Marveaux            Jonas

Cabaye  Barfa

Best

With Cabaye and Barfa getting stuck right in to the CBs and DMs, possibly with Barfa running off Cabayes through balls from quite an advanced position.

Hopefully we'll do these convincingly though.  We certainly have the team to do it.

Guest WashyGeordie

Of course, potentially you should, quite easily, hammer them... but i noticed that it's more against lower team than you that you struggle. Against some of the Big four teams, you're really doing great.

Any news on the start XI ? Ba or Best to start up front ? (maybe the two)

Think (or it sounds like) we'll play pretty much the same team as what we did for Aston Villa, so aye, Best/Ba should be starting if so.

2-0 win for us. Cabaye and Best.

I still think this. Whilst our record against Blackburn at home is shit, I'm convinced that we can win comfortably if we perform to/better than the level we did against Villa.

I'm optimistic.

We played another of our bogey teams in the last home game and we comfortably beat Fulham,  expecting a similar victory against Blackburn.  If Givet plays at left back, he's the weak link, watched both there games against Arsenal and Fulham and both those clubs had joy down that side as Hoilett doesn't track back and give Givet any protection.

Looks pretty certain we'll be unchanged but the options from the bench look very good, would be nice to be able to use them from a position of strength rather than chasing the game...as to result, wouldn't be devastated with a draw to keep the unbeaten run going (and break the Blackburn hoodoo!) but a win would be fecking lovely!

Longer term, Ben Arfa is surely going to be first choice so the race is on between Best and Ba to be his partner - have a feeling Pardew's preference might be for Ba, so the pressure is on Leon to keep scoring.

This is one of those landmark games in a season. A convincing win will have everyone believing that we can go on to have a good season, because if you can beat the poor sides fairly consistently, that's 90% of the job done. A disappointing result and questions will start to be asked and doubts will start to creep in.

This is one of those landmark games in a season. A convincing win will have everyone believing that we can go on to have a good season, because if you can beat the poor sides fairly consistently, that's 90% of the job done. A disappointing result and questions will start to be asked and doubts will start to creep in.

Spot on.