Newcastle United vs Blackburn Rovers pre-match thread - 24/09/11 @ 3pm

Dave

As I was up early and had a few hours to kill I thought I'd do a couple of hours taxi'ing and get a few more beer tokens.  :booze:

First Job, Elmohammedy to Sunderlands training ground  :hmm:

Put a brave face on and just got on with it because after all, money is money, however as I dropped him off and the other players were milling about I kept thinking if only I worked in Newcastle. It could be Cabaye sitting next to me and Ben-Arfa giving me a nod in the car park.  :'(

Taxi parked up!

To be honest any combination of Yakubu, Rochina, Formica, Dunn, Olsson, Hoilett and Vukcevic should cause plenty of problems for Newcastle's defence. Danny Simpson is crap, Collocini and Taylor are nothing special.

I think this is going to be a tough one, don't see the point looking at our recent record at St James as that means nothing when it comes to kick off.

Been impressed by Newcastle so far, very well organised especially in the QPR game where they got smashed but got away with a point. I think they lack quality upfront, Best is rubbish and Demba Ba hardly starts which I hope does not change this Saturday. Like every game really this season, IF we play well then we can defiantly get something out of this game but I ain't confident in getting a win.

I'm going for a draw 1-1.

I think we are looking at a defeat or possibly a draw here. Newcastle are unbeaten so far this season and they will be a tough nut to crack on their home ground. I also haven't bought into the hype that some have about or performance at the weekend. If we play like we did this weekend a lot of teams will score on this team that looks like it doesn't have any balance in midfield whatsoever.

I'm not disabled but always ask for the lift at St james. 8th floor, I'm just not fit enough now :(

I fancy us for a win here, fingers crossed the team has turned a corner.

To be honest I think this is the type of game we can win. We always do well at St James' and as far as Rovers go I'd rather play a team in good form than bad form - 9/10 we're the team that gives a struggling opponent a win. Newcastle have to lose a match at some point and I'm hoping we'll be the ones to do it.

Head: 2-1 Newcastle

Heart: 1-0 Rovers, a late header from Samba via a set piece.

Newcastles main weakness has to be it's strikers although Leon seems to be doing pretty well this season Dann and Samba should be able to cope with him it is going to be down to how the midfield cope.

Another massive weakness that seems overlooked is their fullbacks.. we could have an awful lot of joy with those lads, Ryan Taylor v Hoilett and Danny Simpson v Olsson.. Taylor isn't a left back and lacks pace and Danny ain't ever been the quickest player going.. while their defence has been much more organised than ours two very pacy wingers will cause those poor lads no end of issues. So for this game given the opposition playing Jnr out wide makes allot of sense as we can exploit their lack of pace.

Guest JamesyJazz

Just about to set off from Edinburgh in the car with my lad to watch our first game together this season,haven't managed a game since the 5-1 shaggin we gave the makems,really looking forward to this today.Managed to get a couple of seats in the Gallowgate upper stand together.Hope the atmospheres going to be jumpin!

Put the usual bet on S.Taylor to get first goal at 26's.

See yous there.

There is so much positivity around the place, it feels un-natural. Nailed on blackburn win.

Nah, fuck em, sticking with what i went with at the start of the week 3-1 us. Howay The Lads!!!!! Cant wait to get up there today.

It's what I'm thinking. I'm kind of hoping that we get a hard as fuck draw in the Cup today. Puts a bit of a dampener on and takes away from 'can we get another 3 points from a team we normally wouldn't?'. How often does the team follow through when we're all positive we're in a good position to get the points? :lol:

I've got no doubt that we'll win this, absolutley no doubt. Blackburn aren't a quality side, they haven't got the Big Sam factor, which worked against us, anymore.

We on the other side, seem to be very compact in the defense so far while - against Aston Villa - for the first time, our offensive looked quite decent as well.

Guest hatem garrincha

Is Ben Arfa expected to start? According to SSN this is the case.

Reading Pardew's comments - no.

Maybe Pardew is keeping the surprise effect (it's a hope...)

Win-win. Would be nice to see him rip it up from the start, but would also be great for him to get his ovation coming off the bench.

Hopefully win is also the result! Not feeling overly confident of that though.

If we can come out of the block's firing i feel we could give them a good hammering but if we start slow it will end up a scrappy affair with long balls up front and midfield scrapping over the odd loose ball which will make for a very long / frustrating afternoon.

This is a very winnable game IMO, just hope we start well to give our game a nice flow for the 90 mins.

Optimistic 2-0 win to the toon :)