Newcastle United vs Blackburn Rovers pre-match thread - 24/09/11 @ 3pm

Dave

Think toptoon's team is the best available, if HBA and Marveaux are fit to start. Would be slightly harsh to drop Obertan, but meh.

It's becoming increasingly stupid to play two strikers, with the lack of quality we have their and the amount of class midfielders we've got.

Coulden't agree more. Whats the point of playing two strikers if they are hardly getting any chances. I'd rather try and dominate posesssion and create alot more. We have the players now to run from midfield now in cabaye, Marveaux, Abeid, gosling and wide areas Ben arfa and obertan/Sammy/jonas (unshackled from helping Raylor once Santon is LB) and get in the box. I usually like a 4411 . But by going 433 we could completely dominate games. We are almost 451 when defending without possession and when we push our full backs up more of a 253 when all out attacking. Opposition would find us very hard to deffend against.

Despite Tiote and Cabaye being absolute top draw central midfielders QPR's 3 man midfield with inferior quality completely bossed our two. How QPR didn't score was beyond me really. It was quite inspiring and something we can learn from. We have far better players than they do and could really  rip into teams. The three center midfield players offer us far better protection and miles more creativity. Play to our strengths forget two up top. We end up hoofing it when under pressure too when two up top which was effective at times when we had Carroll and Nolan up top but won't be this season with a wealth of midfield talent.. 

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/22/mehdi-abeid-happy-to-be-on-nufc-bench-72703-29466024/

Meanwhile, Pardew admits he is thrilled by the competition for places in his frontline and throughout his side.

The United gaffer said “Besty has three goals Peter has two and Hatem is back.

“Shola is also desperate to score and he did well at Forest when he came on. There is competition for places and that is good.

“We have big decisions and difficult decisions.”

:scared:

They didn't score because they didn't have a good striker...

Even the likes of Boothroyd should have burried some of those opportunities and on another day SWP and Taarabt could of had a couple each, not to mention the old clogger in midfield who missed a couple too (forget his name). Taarabt didn't get forward nearly as much as he should have. Cabaye got forward alot more against Villa and had a hugely impressive game. Cabaye is adjusting and getting better and better.

With our personel we should be able to do that to other teams. Ok Best may need a few oppourtunities to score one but if similar opportunities fell for the likes of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Marveaux, Sammy etc i'd fancy a comfortable score line.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/22/mehdi-abeid-happy-to-be-on-nufc-bench-72703-29466024/

Meanwhile, Pardew admits he is thrilled by the competition for places in his frontline and throughout his side.

“Shola is also desperate to score and he did well at Forest when he came on. There is competition for places and that is good.

I think he reads this forum and says these things to :troll: us all.

Just the usual talk your player(s) up, run of the mill manager comments.  Relax man, I keep telling myself this, might be totally wrong but I find it helps me keep my sanity.

Just the usual talk your player(s) up, run of the mill manager comments.  Relax man, I keep telling myself this, might be totally wrong but I find it helps me keep my sanity.

:thup:

Still, "thrilled by the competition" with Shola and Løvenkrands being mentioned...

Although our results have been good.  As has been mentioned by others I'm not sure Pardew has the balls sometimes to think longterm and drop senior players. Much seems to depend on who has been knocking on his door the loudest which is very worrying (Loven and Shola i assume are near deafening door bangers).

I hear these comments and start to dread seeing the line up which i fear may well be:

Krul

Simpson    Taylor  Colo    Raylor

Lovenkrands  Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

Shola  Best

With Smith coming on if Blackburn are poor and we find ourselves two up just even things up a bit and give us all anxiety like with Fulham.

I suspect its going to take an inevitable howler or two from Raylor and some points dropped before Santon eventually gets in the team.

Ben Arfa and Marveaux in the team before Lovenkrands and Shola please Mr Pardew. 

We shouldn't be launching long balls anyway, and even if we do sometimes Best is quite good in the air. He is good at finding space and getting a shot in, which is much more than can be said for the rest of the options.

Ba excepted really, still think he deserves a chance but I don't want to play two up front.

I worry a bit about playing Best as a lone striker as i don't think he has enough physicality to his game. 

Good job you don't need physicality to be a lone striker in a proper system then. :bluestar:

Whey, if we play the passing game and not lump it up, it should be fine. But can Best hold the ball up , we'll see.

I worry a bit about playing Best as a lone striker as i don't think he has enough physicality to his game. 

Good job you don't need physicality to be a lone striker in a proper system then. :bluestar:

Whey, if we play the passing game and not lump it up, it should be fine. But can Best hold the ball up , we'll see.

True.

http://fail.brm.sk/ragin_n_trollin/sad_troll.png

milesstarforth Miles Starforth

Shola Ameobi's a doubt for Saturday's game with a knock. #nufc

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

milesstarforth Miles Starforth

Peter Lovenkrands set to start after mid-week brace. #nufc

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply