Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest thenorthumbrian

Ashley has gutted Newcastle financially.

He closed city centre the club shops to take out competition for SD, the catering at the ground has been franchised out, the commercial revenue has plummeted and the stadium is one big ugly advert.

I hate Ashley.

It's absolutely incredible that he's able to take personal punts through a public listed company.

It's not a personal punt, It's a very common business practice on the stock exchange and a very profitable one at that.

Shady as fook to us common man, but not illegal.

A major plc writing an option on another company's shares is not common at all, his approach is unprecedented. Buying an option on FX or rates where there is a need to hedge a risk yeah, but not this. He is taking the premium from a financial institution (probably Goldmans as they did the Debenhams one) and assuming the full risk of Tesco's share price all the way down to zero.

There is no business justification for the transaction, despite claims of a 'working relationship' (though that is no excuse). This is clearly the decision of one man and his minority shareholders will just have to swallow it or sell up.

tongue in cheek my arse (eeerrhh that sounds wrong) this has cheered me up this morning come on you potters

Tongue in my arse cheek

He hired AP with recommendation of Llambas then he fired him last Summer. He stick to AP cause he wants to be seen as a tough guy not to be persuaded by public and media reaction. When he will give up is we don't know. I don't think we can get any points with our two games we see how long Mr. Ashley take his resolve.

Thing I've never gotten with Ashley is that he hates the fans chanting against him, there's only ever chants against him when we're playing shit or if he does something stupid (i.e renaming SJP) We're in an awful run at the moment and the fans have turned on Pardew and him again. All he needs to do to squash this is sack Pardew and appoint a half decent manager. It's not rocket science.

I don't really have much hate for him tbh, he spent his own money on buying a club, he can do what he likes with it, he can invest what he likes, hire who he likes, it's his toys to play with how he sees fit. The onus is on us as his customers to show him we don't like his product, we don't wish to buy any more of it. Will that force him to change, maybe, maybe not, but if we continue to sit on our hands and accept the status quo, then we will be continually fed this diet of crap.

It's hard for us to change our allegiances, I wish in many respects I could just say, "f*** this, I'm going to start following Chelsea or ManShitty now". But we can't do that, this is the team we are stuck with, I guess the best we can hope to do is just not let the fortunes of the club effect us as much as they have in the past, lose a bit of that passion that we are renowned for, that's already happened for a lot of fans, I guess they are the smart ones.

I hate him

i'm not keen like. Nah SanToon's right

I feckin hate him!

I'm encouraged, all the same. It means, if nothing else, he has zero respect for Pardew.

I'm encouraged because I don't really think he cares at all about sacking Pardew if financially convenient (severance > relegation). But I'm also discouraged because I can't see any self-respecting potential manager wanting Mike Ashley as a boss.

I firmly believe that Mike Ashley hates his name being mentioned or his SD being questioned or attacked or w/e with this Pardew business. So it's fully leaning in our favor - more skepticism on Pardew has made reporters show up and question him at SD shareholder meetings, random encounters on streets (more so than ever), his sanity questioned for the millionth time (via all the press that's been given to Pardew's lack of results recently).

Whether he finally does us all a favor and pulls the trigger on AP remains to be seen - I do believe it will happen and I do believe it will happen in this season. Pardew will NEVER EVER EVER EVER win back the majority of the supporters. The "support the team" lads will get angry eventually when we continue to duke it out for the Bottom 5 until Pardew is sacked and hung.

If all the club is to him is an advertising platform then why on earth does he actually go to the games? Surely that'd imply that he's looking to get some enjoyment out of it?

Why would he go to Stoke to watch this shit and go home thinking we don't need a new manager.

It has to be close. Has to.