Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

would it be possible/allowed for NUFC to be publicly owned?  i mean, if i had won the 1.5 billion dollar lottery a few weeks back & then bought NUFC from ashley (assuming he'd sell) could i then sell shares of stock in NUFC to the general public? or however it would work... does the premiere league allow it?

You could organize the club as a trust (there are various models) and give 51% of the voting rights to the supporters (season ticket holders and so on). The supporters would elect a president once every 3 years who would be accountable to the supporters/trust. The board would also be electable and them and the president would preside over the appointment of the manager. There would be an EGM at the end of every season and a vote for president every 3 years. There is nothing the PL can do about it. They only have say over the fitness of new owners and can block people buying clubs if it is proven they are coming from a history of dodgy dealings etc....

i see.  thanks.  would toon fans want such an arrangement?  it seems to work well for the NFL's green bay packers...

Personally I believe all clubs should be structured in this way. It is the only sure way of stopping clubs getting fucked up by idiots/speculators and outside forces with no connection to spirit and history of a club. If I was running the FA/PL that would be the first rule change I would make.

would it be possible/allowed for NUFC to be publicly owned?  i mean, if i had won the 1.5 billion dollar lottery a few weeks back & then bought NUFC from ashley (assuming he'd sell) could i then sell shares of stock in NUFC to the general public? or however it would work... does the premiere league allow it?

You could organize the club as a trust (there are various models) and give 51% of the voting rights to the supporters (season ticket holders and so on). The supporters would elect a president once every 3 years who would be accountable to the supporters/trust. The board would also be electable and them and the president would preside over the appointment of the manager. There would be an EGM at the end of every season and a vote for president every 3 years. There is nothing the PL can do about it. They only have say over the fitness of new owners and can block people buying clubs if it is proven they are coming from a history of dodgy dealings etc....

i see.  thanks.  would toon fans want such an arrangement?  it seems to work well for the NFL's green bay packers...

Personally I believe all clubs should be structured in this way. It is the only sure way of stopping clubs getting fucked up by idiots and outside forces with no connection to spirit and history of a club.

yeah...:::sigh:::  if only...  :sad:

Either the last year or so has shown Ashley exactly how much of the club's money he needs to spend, sort of manager he needs to even just make us competitive, etc which can't be bad for us, or he begins to think 'fuck this' and looks to sell is how I see it.

Sports direct getting a kicking on the local news, apparently parliament might summon fat man to the select committee. How quickly things can go tits up.

Would be fucking great that.

Sports direct getting a kicking on the local news, apparently parliament might summon fat man to the select committee. How quickly things can go tits up.

Would be fucking great that.

Ian Mearns in parliament today:

"If we do get Mike Ashley into this place can we also question him about the terrible running of Newcastle United Football Club at the same time? I don't want to diminish the importance of the employment practices of Sports Direct but I'm afraid to say based on the management of Newcastle United I don't expect a very big party in a brewery any time soon."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/business/tycoon-mike-ashley-war-words-7535848?

Sports Direct boss Mike Ashley has blasted MPs demanding he give evidence about the firm’s treatment of workers.

The billionaire launched a withering attack on Iain Wright, chairman of the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee, after being warned he faces Parliamentary censure if he refuses to appear.

Ashley said he was “disgusted to learn that you have adopted a stance that is deliberately antagonistic.”

In a strongly worded letter, seen by the Mirror, he went on: “I believe you are abusing Parliamentary procedure in an attempt to create a media circus in Westminster, which is not in the best interests of any of the people who work at Sports Direct .”