Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

We've been 'up for sale' plenty of times under Ashley, so although I'm not outright saying it's bollocks, it's still, crucially, a Mike Ashley statement and therefore lies until proven otherwise.

Aye, this. Believe it when I see it.

:thup:

Nothing to say it's not just readying the excuse for January. Maybe even a ploy to try and keep Rafa at the club.

We've been 'up for sale' plenty of times under Ashley, so although I'm not outright saying it's bollocks, it's still, crucially, a Mike Ashley statement and therefore lies until proven otherwise.

Aye, this. Believe it when I see it.

If and it's obviously a big if, but if a buyer comes in who will invest, give a shit and get NUFC striving to be the best it can be, would you get back into it, Wullie?

Certainly hope so. :thup: I'd 100% be going back and hope to move on from there away from the not really giving a toss stage I've been at for years.

Staged payments? Anyone buying who needs that option can’t afford to take us on.

Then in a year or so when Ashley calls in his loan, he can finally bankrupt us when whatever clown owns us can’t afford to pay him..

Bloke (some "expert") on totalsport saying its a game changer cause it means the buyer will be able to invest in the squad while still buying the club

Tend to agree with Odin. None of the buyers of Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal's investors, Everton's new guy nor Bournemouths new guy have needed to stage payments to be able to invest in the playing squad.

Strikes me that no 'big' players are sniffing if he's got to incentivise potential buyers with staged payments so publically.

Possibly a nicer way of saying some money can be deferred until the HMRC case is closed.

Potentially but normally when there is any type of liability or potential for wrongdoing to cost a buyer money then they would seek some from of covenant until it was resolved.

So, say for example, the two sets of Lawyers agree that the potential liability of the tax case is £10m - there could be an agreement that this is set aside until a judgement is made one way or the other.

I'd say that's what we would do in relation to the HMRC matter. I certainly don't see it as a deal breaker providing we can estimate the potential liaibilities and penalties etc.

I don’t know how you could quantify relegation, possibly several leagues (not that I believe this is a football matter, just worst case) plus all that comes with it.

No one really knows what the punishment will be if guilty and because of that it’s no normal liability clause needed.

Their Lawyers will have already advised them on this, probably after discussions with HMRC's lawyers.

If points deductions are a legitimate option then, I agree, selling the club would be much more difficult.

If the advantage was purely financial/commercial then I'd expect some form of fine, penalties from HMRC and also the tax to be repaid.

Ashley won't go quietly on it though so the lawyers could drag it out for ten years easily if they wanted to.

I'd say any advantage gained is lost through relegation, though i really cannot see the FA inflicting points deductions nevermind relegations when WHAM & Chelsea are still being investigated at the same level as we are

So in theory 250/300m would be market value?

There's no market value, it's just whatever Ashley wants which could be any old bollocks. He's dodgy as fuck, have a look at how he left Rangers.

Personally still don't see why he'd want to sell now. Things are going about as well as he could hope.

“There are some people saying they would prefer Ashley to stay because you know what you’re going to get” - presenter on TotalSport talking about texts

:anguish: what the fuck. How can anyone be that scared of change. Prefer Ashley ffs

Guest neesy111

There's no market value, it's just whatever Ashley wants which could be any old bollocks. He's dodgy as fuck, have a look at how he left Rangers.

Personally still don't see why he'd want to sell now. Things are going about as well as he could hope.

There could be a shit load of reasons why he'd want to sell now.

I wonder if he just thinks, I've been here ten years, the club's valuation is as high as it's been since I've arrived, time to make a profit out of all the hassle.

My read (pure speculation):

A single party has made an offer for the club. The offer is credible, but it is a disciplined one and is not crazy rich. Ashley wants to sell the Club but doesn't believe the offer reflects full value (or the value we wants to get). Ashley puts out this statement in an attempt to generate more interest and entice additional buyers to create a competitive sale process. He is trying to drive up the price.

“There are some people saying they would prefer Ashley to stay because you know what you’re going to get” - presenter on TotalSport talking about texts

:anguish: what the f***. How can anyone be that scared of change. Prefer Ashley ffs

WHO YA GONNA GET WHOS BETTER THAN PARDS THO?!