Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I'd normally side with the weary skepticism displayed by nufc.com, but there have since been positive noises from Caulkin.

Newcastle have already signed non-disclosure agreements, a precursor to formal discussions, with several interested parties and are undertaking due diligence. Ashley is looking both to maximise his return — he values the club at up to £450 million — and hurry the process along.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mike-ashley-puts-newcastle-united-up-for-quick-sale-v73tn8zvj

(I'd love to read the rest if possible...)

So perhaps the "Roll up! Roll up! Easy terms available!" wording is just another example of unprofessionalism and ineptitude, not quite the desperate appeal it sounds like.

Mike Ashley puts Newcastle United up for quick sale

George Caulkin, Northern Sports Correspondent

Mike Ashley has officially put Newcastle United on the market. The club’s owner, who has endured a turbulent ten years at St James’ Park, is keen to secure a quick sale before January’s transfer window.

Newcastle have already signed non-disclosure agreements, a precursor to formal discussions, with several interested parties and are undertaking due diligence. Ashley is looking both to maximise his return — he values the club at up to £450 million — and hurry the process along.

He restated his desire to sell up in a recent interview with Sky Sports, and yesterday’s statement by Newcastle was the clearest indication yet that his tenure is coming to an end. Ashley is prepared to accept deferred payments to speed up his departure.

The news will be greeted with relief by a significant proportion of Newcastle fans. Ashley’s ownership has coincided with much controversy, the brief renaming of the stadium and two relegations. There has also been tension with Rafa Benítez, the manager, over the club’s failure to buy new players.

The club’s statement read: “As one of the Premier League’s oldest and best supported football clubs Newcastle United requires a clear direction and a path to a bright and successful future. To give the club the best possible opportunity of securing the positioning and investment necessary to take it to the next level, its present ownership has determined that it is in the best interests of Newcastle United and its fans for the club to be put up for sale.

“To give an incoming owner the maximum possible flexibility, the sale process will give the opportunity of deferring payments. A process will now commence of identifying new ownership capable of delivering the sustained investment in and dedication necessary for it to achieve its ambitions.”

Amanda Staveley, whose PCP Capital Partners firm is said to control a £28 billion fund of mainly Middle Eastern wealth, is interested in buying a club and met Newcastle officials after their 1-1 draw against Liverpool early this month. Reported interest from China is understood to have dissipated.

That statement, similar to the false press release of Chinese interest in NUFC during the summer, is nothing other than an attempt to get more interest.

The statement doesn’t mean there is no current interest, it’s Ashley doing what he does best, being a greedy bastard and attempting to try and get a bidding war.

If anything, the ‘Christmas deadline’ could be a positive noise. Potentially there is current and significant interest that could see a deal completed by then, the statement is advising other potential parties that they need to move quickly.

Of course this is nothing other than speculation, but so is every other post/idea about what is going on. It’s positive to see a good article from Caulkin though, as he appears very well linked with the club and tells it how it is with little bias/propaganda.

Waddle must have been given a little nudge off Keith Bishop. :-( As has been said previously, there’s going to be lots of Ashley revisionism in the media over the next few days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People credit Keith Bishop with far too much, man. :lol:

Dream scenario:  Consortium in with Keegan in a director of football/chief transfer negotiator type role. Ambitious plans in place with stadium expansion, new shops to open around the area bringing the club closer to the fans as well as an honest plan to improve year on year.

Realistic scenario:  Ashley to take club off market at the end of January when the window closes due to the world financial issues or brexit crap.

Understand and share (some of) the skepticism, but this is good news and potentially turns this enjoyable period (Rafa, winning Championship, Rafa, solid start and performances in PL, Rafa...) into an awesome time to be a Newcastle fan. Long overdue.

Dream scenario:  Consortium in with Keegan in a director of football/chief transfer negotiator type role. Ambitious plans in place with stadium expansion, new shops to open around the area bringing the club closer to the fans as well as an honest plan to improve year on year.

Realistic scenario:  Ashley to take club off market at the end of January when the window closes due to the world financial issues or brexit crap.

No thank you.  The Keegan ship has sailed a long time ago imo.  Time to move on.

Waddle must have been given a little nudge off Keith Bishop. :-( As has been said previously, there’s going to be lots of Ashley revisionism in the media over the next few days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People credit Keith Bishop with far too much, man. :lol:

Nah fam. He's the cockney goebbells

Not sure how any director of football would be a good ideal given how hands on Rafa is.

Could be that Ashley has already received an offer for the club but he considers it derisory, so he's put out the statement to unearth other interested parties or encourage the existing offerer to up their bid.

If other interested parties need an installment plan I wouldn't want them and I hope they wouldn't be tempted anyway.

IMO groups/businesses who could buy the club outright wouldn't have needed prompted.

Could be that Ashley has already received an offer for the club but he considers it derisory, so he's put out the statement to unearth other interested parties or encourage the existing offerer to up their bid.

If other interested parties need an installment plan I wouldn't want them and I hope they wouldn't be tempted anyway.

IMO groups/businesses who could buy the club outright wouldn't have needed prompted.

From Ashley's point of view though, £380m in instalments is better than £250m in one payment.

If they choose to pay in instalments it doesn't necessarily mean they're skint, maybe they'd want a structured payment plan so they can continue to accrue interest on the millions in the bank. I'm no financial expert but i'm sure there are other benefits to paying in instalments as well.

Why would they put Keegan in place above Rafa and why would that be the dream scenario? Sounds awful to me. We have the dream scenario in terms of management already, the new owners just need to back them.

From Ashley's point of view though, £380m in instalments is better than £250m in one payment.

If they choose to pay in instalments it doesn't necessarily mean they're skint, maybe they'd want a structured payment plan so they can continue to accrue interest on the millions in the bank. I'm no financial expert but i'm sure there are other benefits to paying in instalments as well.

I don't know like. Yeah it's better for Ashley (more money) but if a group fails to have the financial clout to buy outright and would rather overspend on installments doesn't that bode poorly for their capacity to invest substantially and move the club forward?

Dont want Keegan anywhere near footballing decisions when Rafa Benitez is here thank you very much.

Rafa and Keegan have completely different footballing philosophies so I couldn't see it working at all. Keegan in an ambassadorial role would be a nice touch though. I'd love to see him as Head of the academy but again, I think his and Rafa's footballing differences would cause problems.

People banging on about wanting Keegan back is part of the reason we get ridiculed by the media and other fanbases. Yes it was great but that was over 20 years ago, time to move on.

Aye it's ludicrous to suggest for a moment that we would want someone with the club's best interests at the heart of decision making.

And I couldn't give two shits what other fans think and certainly not the media.

However, Keegan is a non starter.

Why would they put Keegan in place above Rafa and why would that be the dream scenario? Sounds awful to me. We have the dream scenario in terms of management already, the new owners just need to back them.

This

Cant see how wanting a club legend here in an honest role to improve the club is a reason for us to be mocked.  I agree, maybe not in a role that conflicts with Rafa but for someone to have both played and managed us and completely 'get' what we all want, it's a no brainer.

He could do Charnley's role in his sleep for one.