Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest tollemache

Yeah it'd be great but... maybe I haven't made it quite clear enough how much I really, really hate what Man City and Chelsea have done. I mean there are loads of examples of wealthy owners making a big difference to clubs but the scale of their financial doping (i.e. sufficient to immediately win the league) doesn't just upset the balance a bit, it makes the entire exercise seem totally pointless. They've fucked football as far as I'm concerned and I don't like the idea of Newcastle being a part of that. I'd be gutted.

Yeah, when Blackburn were spending big, it wasnt like they were gazumping other teams and throwing daft money. They spent the going rate. Might be wrong, but I doubt they'd have spent considerably more than clubs around them.

What Chelsea and City have done has made it impossible for sustained success without someone having to spend beyond their means.

Fucking hell, poor bastard can't win. Damned if you do, damned if you dont

Tbf, I wasn't being especially critical of the recent PR stunts; just amused by the total predictability of it.

Predictable in the way that the Ashley-bashers (for want of a better term) aren't as vociferous, while the Ashley-bummers (for want of a better term) are not getting slated l, r & c for offering their optimistic views?

There's no sea change in the mood from what I can see.

Don't really know what you're talking about, but I meant predictable in the way that it's predictable that Ashley and Llambias are connecting with the fans for the first time in ages, off the back of a good couple of weeks.

We all want the elusive success, but I don't think I'd sell my soul for a League Cup win.  The PL title maybe  :lol:

Anyone who craves success at any cost should get themeselves along to Victoria Park tomorrow night to watch a team who won the cup not so long ago.  They'll probably get beaten by Hartlepool and look like they're on a fast track to oblivion. I'm sure their fans enjoyed the success as much as anyone but with hindsight probably wish it had never happened.

I am in the not selling our soul camp.

Maybe it's easier to say now as it's not happening but I genuinely don't think I would want us to go out and sign a whole new squad and win the league.

It's frustrating at times but I like the way we are building now, for a sensible outlay we have players like Krul, MYM, Debuchy, Santon, Gouffran, Cabaye, Tiote, Anita, Cisse, Cissoko, Ben Arfa etc..

Guest neesy111

Maybe it's easier to say now as it's not happening but I genuinely don't think I would want us to go out and sign a whole new squad and win the league.

It's frustrating at times but I like the way we are building now, for a sensible outlay we have players like Krul, MYM, Debuchy, Santon, Gouffran, Cabaye, Tiote, Anita, Cisse, Cissoko, Ben Arfa etc..

Would we need to buy a new squad though?

Would we need to buy a new squad though?

Probably not but that's what these clubs tend to do. Man City had about 8 multimillion pound forwards on their books not that long ago. I like a squad but I don't think I would like to see us buying scores of young players just to sit on the bench/in the reserves for the sake of it. Even QPR have been snapping up players like Hoilett who could do a job for a lot of sides and he is struggling to get games for the bottom side now.

Not saying we would definitely do all this but it seems the way it goes, buy shit loads of players and hope a few of them stick whilst ruining the odd career along the way.

It feels right what we are doing now and if we won something it would feel deserved.

And I don't think you'd hear any complaints our end if someone bought the title for us, because football fans do not tend to think that way. It'd still be sad and it'd feel quite hollow for me, and when the inevitable abuse came from fans of other clubs I'd find it hard to deflect it.

Much rather hold out for that tiny chance of a proper win. In the very long term, we're slightly less likely than Arsenal to win the league under our own financial steam if we are run properly with sustainability in mind. It's not totally unthinkable, even if it is really really unlikely

:lol:

Who give's a fuck what other fans think.

Well you do obviously.

Man City fans being accused of buying the title

http://i.imgur.com/RMg5ui0.gif

It's not about what other fans think, I would be personally embarrassed if we got success like Man City have. You would know deep down that it wasn't deserved.

That said, buying success is almost the only way to get it now, so I suppose it's irrelevant whether it's the right thing to do or not.

For me, winning a trophy hardly enters my mind. I know it's probably never going to happen. Even the ones we could win, we put out a weakened side and sacrifice them. Football has changed beyond recognition, and PL survival is the only thing that ever matters. Especially this season with the new TV deal.

Guest Howaythetoon

I cannot stand the c*** personally. The way he treated two greats in Keegan and Shearer, oversaw relegation, renamed the f***ing stadium, cut away allocations, removed the singing section and even the sacking of Hughton,  means he will never ever get any respect from me. Woop de f***ing doo, we bought some players in January/didn't sell Cabaye or whoever. Woop de f***ing doo he has us financially secure. Err, that's his f***ing job, that's his responsibility. I'll cheer the day he leaves as I would a win, he has been nothing short of a f***ing disaster for us regardless of the team we have out now or last season's 5th placed finish. We have had better sides before and finished higher before but without messing with absolute legends, getting relegated and all the other crap that has followed like renaming the stadium and all the tacky rebranding inside and outside of the ground. Oh and he's still a fat cunt.

If they ( Ashley and Llambias) actually show the ambition to want to improve us in the future and not just get a profit every year i'm happy as we are tbh.

I have never seen my team win a major trophy and i likely never will do, so i'm not too fussed about it well i am but i think i would rather win it this way than win it the way City did.

I used to be desperate for a change in the past but now i'm quite content and as someone(sorry can't remember who) said earlier in this thread... i'm happy with the devil i know.

Guest neesy111

Business Wise the club is only focused on PL survival, but fans still want & deserve for the club to take all the cup competitions seriously.

Guest neesy111

I still don't get this we'll never win a trophy bollocks.

Well, most clubs never win a trophy, or at least extremely rarely.

Yes because most of are shite. :lol: 

If we had been shite for the last 20 years that's fair enough but we've had plenty of chances with good teams to do well in cup competitions.  Our league cup record really irks me in recent seasons.

I cannot stand the c*** personally. The way he treated two greats in Keegan and Shearer, oversaw relegation, renamed the f***ing stadium, cut away allocations, removed the singing section and even the sacking of Hughton,  means he will never ever get any respect from me. Woop de f***ing doo, we bought some players in January/didn't sell Cabaye or whoever. Woop de f***ing doo he has us financially secure. Err, that's his f***ing job, that's his responsibility. I'll cheer the day he leaves as I would a win, he has been nothing short of a f***ing disaster for us regardless of the team we have out now or last season's 5th placed finish. We have had better sides before and finished higher before but without messing with absolute legends, getting relegated and all the other crap that has followed like renaming the stadium and all the tacky rebranding inside and outside of the ground. Oh and he's still a fat cunt.

:thup:

I'm probably closer to this end of the spectrum if I'm honest. However, I would approach new ownership with a considerable amount of trepidation - you just don't know who's buying clubs these days. When it comes to his policies, I have time for parts of them, less time for other parts. I don't like Ashley on the whole, but I frequently remind myself of the likes of the Venky's. I would also be against our very own Abu Dhabi.

I'm always afraid of the unpredictable nature of Mike Ashley. But he seems to be sanctioning a sensible build-up of our squad. I'd love for him to "bend" his rules a bit more like we did in January in every open transfer window as well as fix our damn commercial revenue stream which is appalling, if the figures are accurate. But we know those are things may never change for us while he still owns the club.

I'd welcome a buyer of this club if they continued to build the squad as we do now in terms of our meticulous scouting with some added stress relievers in maybe having a higher ceiling on what we'd pay in transfers and wages, and perhaps would pay some of our top players a little more so they wouldn't leave but for a move abroad, and of course some more transparency when windows are closed on items that aren't sensitive that would hurt a future deal or something.  Obviously the items involving more cash outlay I'd be OK with that as long we are bringing in more revenue etc.

But what I've described above would be probably the perfect owner, :lol: - but all-in-all, I love the soul of this club and I'd not want to compromise it - its what made me fall for this club when I began supporting it and I've always respected those who build things the right way.  SO I'm OK with what we have now....

Not denying that the treatment of Keegan was shocking - but lets not kid ourselves that any other owners haven't shat all over club ledgends. SJH, his son and Mr Shepherd for example pretty much forced KK out with the floatation, sacked SBR in the worst possible way and who can forget Poppins gate?

I cannot stand the c*** personally. The way he treated two greats in Keegan and Shearer, oversaw relegation, renamed the f***ing stadium, cut away allocations, removed the singing section and even the sacking of Hughton,  means he will never ever get any respect from me. Woop de f***ing doo, we bought some players in January/didn't sell Cabaye or whoever. Woop de f***ing doo he has us financially secure. Err, that's his f***ing job, that's his responsibility. I'll cheer the day he leaves as I would a win, he has been nothing short of a f***ing disaster for us regardless of the team we have out now or last season's 5th placed finish. We have had better sides before and finished higher before but without messing with absolute legends, getting relegated and all the other crap that has followed like renaming the stadium and all the tacky rebranding inside and outside of the ground. Oh and he's still a fat c***.

Not denying that the treatment of Keegan was shocking - but lets not kid ourselves that any other owners haven't shat all over club ledgends. SJH, his son and Mr Shepherd for example pretty much forced KK out with the floatation, sacked SBR in the worst possible way and who can forget Poppins gate?

Inconvenient truths, Ashley not matter what happens will never be accepted by some due to the Kk man love factor.