Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I think making his public life uneasy would be much more effective than any boycott could ever be. I'm not advocating violence, but he should not be allowed to quietly have a pint in a Newcastle establishment without having a few fans around asking him the questions that need to be answered. I hate how in 7 years of ownership he has only ever felt the urge to communicate directly with the fans once, via an article in the matchday program. As the owner of an institution that holds a special place in so many people's lifes, he must be held to account for his mismanagement. We are entitled to know what his plans are for the club, maybe not legally, but very much morally.

How often do you think he goes for a pint in Newcastle?

Whilst the suggestion of a boycott is well meaning & in principal a powerful tool if "successful". It is, in my opinion, unlikely ever to attract the kind of numbers to force any tangible change in Ashleys mind-set.

Some of the posts in this thread are alarmingly lucid & informative but, unfortunately, insular. I would suggest that attendance to home matches are seen by most as an important element in their social life, and that to sacrifice them, would be a sacrifice too far. I think there are a few more rungs down the ladder we need to go to in order to convince enough people bite their noses off on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, a boycott of Sports direct would be both unrealistic, in terms of the lack of alternative sports shops on the high street (Ashley now has a monopoly in this market) for people who could be arsed to look for one & inconsequential, in terms of its potential to hit Ashley hard enough to care.

I am becoming more ambivalent towards Ashley as the days go on. I find his stewardship unambitious, embarrassing & crass at the best of times but I just wonder what would come over the hill should he decide to bail out.

Very well put.

That is just an embarrassing mentality to be honest. Oh no, we shouldn't try and improve the club's situation as there is a slight risk the next owner might be even worse, as unlikely as it is. By the same token we may as well keep Pardew for the duration of his contract regardless of relegations or results, because you never how the next manager is going to fare.

Would you consider Ashley to be worse than Shepherd - Hall?

Re boycotting matches I remember when not many people went to the Spurs match in the League Cup (not long after that Hull match) and apparently a good few stayed away in protest. I thought the attendance was tiny but just looked it up and it was about 20k, which isn't even that bad really. :lol:

If you had a ST you got home cup matches free. That's probably why that many turned up tbf :lol:

Nah, I had a ST for that season and didn't get a free ticket.  The only people who got them were bond holders and those who got moved during the stadium expansion for a few years.

Sorry it was if you signed up to the 3 year deal iirc

Whilst the suggestion of a boycott is well meaning & in principal a powerful tool if "successful". It is, in my opinion, unlikely ever to attract the kind of numbers to force any tangible change in Ashleys mind-set.

Some of the posts in this thread are alarmingly lucid & informative but, unfortunately, insular. I would suggest that attendance to home matches are seen by most as an important element in their social life, and that to sacrifice them, would be a sacrifice too far. I think there are a few more rungs down the ladder we need to go to in order to convince enough people bite their noses off on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, a boycott of Sports direct would be both unrealistic, in terms of the lack of alternative sports shops on the high street (Ashley now has a monopoly in this market) for people who could be arsed to look for one & inconsequential, in terms of its potential to hit Ashley hard enough to care.

I am becoming more ambivalent towards Ashley as the days go on. I find his stewardship unambitious, embarrassing & crass at the best of times but I just wonder what would come over the hill should he decide to bail out.

Very well put.

That is just an embarrassing mentality to be honest. Oh no, we shouldn't try and improve the club's situation as there is a slight risk the next owner might be even worse, as unlikely as it is. By the same token we may as well keep Pardew for the duration of his contract regardless of relegations or results, because you never how the next manager is going to fare.

Much of muchness really. I loathe Shepherd more than I hate Ashley, but they're both absolute wankers.

whats needed is more fact to back up the conjecture, accounts, figures etc, then the press will get involved, not only that but once they are handed a story they'll dig for any other skeletons in the closet, financially speaking.

Guest neesy111

Re boycotting matches I remember when not many people went to the Spurs match in the League Cup (not long after that Hull match) and apparently a good few stayed away in protest. I thought the attendance was tiny but just looked it up and it was about 20k, which isn't even that bad really. :lol:

If you had a ST you got home cup matches free. That's probably why that many turned up tbf :lol:

Nah, I had a ST for that season and didn't get a free ticket.  The only people who got them were bond holders and those who got moved during the stadium expansion for a few years.

Ahh, makes sense.

whats needed is more fact to back up the conjecture, accounts, figures etc, then the press will get involved, not only that but once they are handed a story they'll dig for any other skeletons in the closet, financially speaking.

You are right. I said earlier that if there is any merchandising arrangement between Sports Direct and the club it has to be disclosed and values of any transactions also have to be disclosed in the accounts. If anyone does ever look at the latest accounts these arrangements come under Related Party transactions and the last lot were in note 22, and there was nothing about any such agreement or arrangement. It could be that the arrangement started after June 2012 but, as it stands, there isn't much to go on.

I'm not sure how much a boycott would affect things unless sustained over a few games. Mass walk out half way through a game would be fun, however will just see us end up in championship. Better idea would be whole crowd protest at the game and venting feelings just not sure how that would work.

I do think our fans need to stop accepting it and at least show some passion at the games, its very subdued now.

I'm not sure how much a boycott would affect things unless sustained over a few games. Mass walk out half way through a game would be fun, however will just see us end up in championship. Better idea would be whole crowd protest at the game and venting feelings just not sure how that would work.

I do think our fans need to stop accepting it and at least show some passion at the games, its very subdued now.

an exact switch about would be good. many in well before the game, protest right up until the exact second of kick, then everyone behind the team.

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

from the first season of the newly developed gallowgate. 10year bond to guarantee your ticket. £500 paid over three years and you got 3 years home cup tickets free and your name under your seat.

Guest neesy111

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

from the first season of the newly developed gallowgate. 10year bond to guarantee your ticket. £500 paid over three years and you got 3 years home cup tickets free and your name under your seat.

Aye.  My dad and his mate got moved, he  (my dad) wasn't a bond holder so he got 1 years of cup tickets while his mate got what you've described.

an exact switch about would be good. many in well before the game, protest right up until the exact second of kick, then everyone behind the team.

What would the content of the protest be? Just that Ashley should sell?

What would the content of the protest be? Just that Ashley should sell?

let those that want to protest settle that. I just don't think it's productive when it overshadows the match itself.

Very well put.

Much of muchness really. I loathe Shepherd more than I hate Ashley, but they're both absolute w*****s.

Absolutely, so if we accept that the last two / three owners have been utter cocks (Two of which were supposed to be fans before owners), why should the next owner (who is unlikely to be a fan - unless we see some bizarre lottery win / massive change of heart form Ashley) place the fans interests above hard cash?

I can respect a "beer glass half full" attitude, but to assume that the next owner(s) would be any less frustrating than the present incumbent is, at the very least, optimistic.

If there exists a benevolent prospective custodian who has the long term interests of the club & the region at heart & the funds to back it up perhaps someone should give them a call & tell them to get there asses down to the Orange Tree pretty fucking pronto to thrash out a deal. 

Very well put.

Yes, hands down. They weren't flawless by any means, but at least they had the club's interest at heart (as well as their own, not disputing that) and they oversaw a period of genuine progress until it turned sour at the end after Hall left. I would be amazed if Ashley's legacy when he finally leaves was anywhere near theirs.

Very well put.

Yes, hands down.

He's several tens of millions of cash taken out behind Shepherd and Hall in the badness stakes tbh.

Very well put.

Yes, hands down.

He's several tens of millions of cash taken out behind Shepherd and Hall in the badness stakes tbh.

I knew such a childish reply would come, hence I edited my post. I have absolutely no problem with an owner doing well as a result of the club doing well.

Very well put.

Much of muchness really. I loathe Shepherd more than I hate Ashley, but they're both absolute w*****s.

Absolutely, so if we accept that the last two / three owners have been utter cocks (Two of which were supposed to be fans before owners), why should the next owner (who is unlikely to be a fan - unless we see some bizarre lottery win / massive change of heart form Ashley) place the fans interests above hard cash?

I can respect a "beer glass half full" attitude, but to assume that the next owner(s) would be any less frustrating than the present incumbent is, at the very least, optimistic.

If there exists a benevolent prospective custodian who has the long term interests of the club & the region at heart & the funds to back it up perhaps someone should give them a call & tell them to get there asses down to the Orange Tree pretty fucking pronto to thrash out a deal. 

Shepherd and Ashley are two very different types of twat though. The former had ambition, but was a crap businessman and a simply horrible individual, whereas Ashley has zero ambition for NUFC but clearly knows how to run a business.

I don't think this is a situation that can be dismissed with "better the devil you know" any more. We're going nowhere under the current regime. I want this club to be the best, the dream that we may one day achieve that is what keeps me forking out for my season ticket. The knowledge that those in charge simply want us to exist in the midtable of the Premier League so they can continue to take cash out of the club isn't something that makes me want to continue to pay into NUFC.

We are to all intents and purposes a rather lucrative advert masquerading as a football club.

Very well put.

Yes, hands down.

I knew such a childish reply would come, hence I edited my post. I have absolutely no problem with an owner doing well as a result of the club doing well.

The club was on the fast lane to insolvency whilst Shepherd / Hall saw it as a cash cow which was milked on a very regular basis.

Shepherd was quite unambiguous in his opinion on you and I on their infamous "cultural trip" in "98.

Very well put.

Shepherd and Ashley are two very different types of twat though. The former had ambition, but was a crap businessman and a simply horrible individual, whereas Ashley has zero ambition for NUFC but clearly knows how to run a business.

I don't think this is a situation that can be dismissed with "better the devil you know" any more. We're going nowhere under the current regime. I want this club to be the best, the dream that we may one day achieve that is what keeps me forking out for my season ticket. The knowledge that those in charge simply want us to exist in the midtable of the Premier League so they can continue to take cash out of the club isn't something that makes me want to continue to pay into NUFC.

We are to all intents and purposes a rather lucrative advert masquerading as a football club.

:thup:

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

Nope it wasn't that.

Started in 2007 under Ashley.

Not that it worked much...

2 home cup games over 3 years :lol:

Very well put.

Yes, hands down.

What an odd reply. Personally I'm only interested in the fortunes of the football team. Your point is valid only in so far as it's correct that the dividends that were going out were detrimental to our transfer spend, but now we don't spend anything.