Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I've been skeptical/critical about Ashley's intentions for the club from day one, especially as he never communicated what his plan for the club was, which seemed highly suspicious. Back then people just wanted to get rid of Shepherd and assumed anybody else would be an improvement. Unfortunately things are not always that simple. I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-newcastle-ugly-3480241

Brian Reade on Newcastle: Ugly, cheap and failing.. what does Mike Ashley get out of running that club?

Apr 30, 2014 20:00

Opinion

by BrianReade

It doesn’t take much to discern the motives of most football club owners, but like the north-east's entire population I'm increasingly baffled by the sportswear tycoon

I get why the Oyston family has taken £26million out of Blackpool over the past four years.

They’re mediocre at making money outside of football, so they treat the club as their prime cash-cow, knowing they can get away with it.

I grasped why leverage buyout opportunists, such as the Glazers and Hicks and Gillett, bought Manchester United and ­Liverpool.

Because they saw under-exploited global brands and believed they could make a fortune.

Vincent Tan swept into Cardiff on an ego trip.

Manchester City’s sheikhs want to increase Abu Dhabi’s global profile.

Roman ­Abramovich, like his pal Putin, wants European supremacy.

Bill Kenwright loves Everton.

It doesn’t take much to discern the motives of most football club owners.

But, like the entire population of the north-east, I’m increasingly baffled as to why Mike Ashley runs Newcastle United.

He’s long refused to talk to anyone about his relationship with the club, so we’ll never know the answer. But, given the chance, the first question I would ask him is whether he is simply satisfying deep-seated sadomasochistic tendencies - whether he’s getting off on all the agony.

Why else would a reclusive multi-billionaire, who doesn’t need the hassle or want the profile, inflict so much pain and humiliation in return for such public grief and vilification?

Why would you impose Joe Kinnear on a modern football club, not once, but twice?

Why buy no new players in the last two transfer windows, despite selling your best one, Yohan Cabaye, for £19m?

Why change the ground’s name, and flog the Magpies' famous shirt to a loan company for peanuts?

Why, when distraught “customers” demand an explanation for the current freefall that’s seen them lose 14 of their last 19 games, would a successful businessman offer nothing but a contemptuous silence?

His defenders say, that despite being worth £3.3 billion, Ashley can’t invest any of it in Newcastle, due to Financial Fair Play.

Sure. That’s really stopping ambitious owners elsewhere, isn’t it?

But that’s not really what the fans are asking.

They want to know why, despite being listed in Forbes Top 20 World’s Richest Clubs, with 50,000 average gates, the current eye-popping TV deal payments coming through, plus huge commercial potential, and having such a relatively low wage bill, Newcastle are failing to compete with smaller Premier League clubs in the transfer market and in youth ­development.

They believe Ashley long ago decided he didn’t care what happened to the team so long as it didn’t drain another penny from his pocket, he clawed back as much of his loans as he could and his retail empire obtained maximum publicity.

That he’s a Cockney barrow boy, determined to eventually turn a penny and walk off with two fingers in the air. Whose only future plan is to slash costs and stay in the black.

Cynically, as the season ticket renewals go out to utterly disillusioned fans, Ashley’s minions are whispering about his willingness to invest some cash this summer.

As if that’s a selfless act of charity, not a glaring necessity.

But unattributed words, like the stuff in his Sports Direct stores, are cheap. And Newcastle fans are reaching breaking point.

If their team loses again, at home to Cardiff on Saturday, the end-of-season lap of honour could be very ugly indeed.

Although maybe that’s not so much a dire warning to Ashley as a massive turn-on.

:clap:

Great piece.

My main thing is that he's barely even taking his money back. I could understand if he was, at least it would show a direction but no we're just sat in limbo until he keels over not knowing what the fuck is going on bar a generic bullshit statement every April along with the results.

Great piece.

My main thing is that he's barely even taking his money back. I could understand if he was, at least it would show a direction but no we're just sat in limbo until he keels over not knowing what the f*** is going on bar a generic bullshit statement every April along with the results.

He's made 10s of millions, absolutely tonnes. Through SD. That's the scam.

Great piece.

My main thing is that he's barely even taking his money back. I could understand if he was, at least it would show a direction but no we're just sat in limbo until he keels over not knowing what the f*** is going on bar a generic bullshit statement every April along with the results.

I know, I know.

Great piece.

Is this actually the case, then? Is Sports Direct doing really well?

Great piece.

The day Ashley bought NUFC, a Sports Direct share would have cost you 36p. It'll currently cost you £7.83 so it's around 22 times more valuable than it was.

Great piece.

From what a quick skim read tells me, very much so. Though for some reason they bought £46m worth of Debenham's shares in January and sold them 3 days later. He doesn't even make sense in business.

Never realised the hike was that high.

That's it, then. As if we didn't already know.

Plenty of people on here maintain that having the company name all over a Premier League ground and, at times, being front and back page news in most newspapers, mentioned on the national news bulletins, Sky Sports News, MOTD etc etc every two minutes has made absolutely no difference to its fortunes.

Advertising makes no difference, everybody knows that.

Saw a mate of mine last night whose friend was involved in brokering the SD IPO.  He'd reported something along the lines of 'never met a more contemptible cunt' than Ashley.  :(

A former colleague of mine who banks a lot of the big retail clients will have nothing to do with him, similar reasons.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-newcastle-ugly-3480241

Brian Reade on Newcastle: Ugly, cheap and failing.. what does Mike Ashley get out of running that club?

Apr 30, 2014 20:00

Opinion

by BrianReade

It doesn’t take much to discern the motives of most football club owners, but like the north-east's entire population I'm increasingly baffled by the sportswear tycoon

I get why the Oyston family has taken £26million out of Blackpool over the past four years.

They’re mediocre at making money outside of football, so they treat the club as their prime cash-cow, knowing they can get away with it.

I grasped why leverage buyout opportunists, such as the Glazers and Hicks and Gillett, bought Manchester United and ­Liverpool.

Because they saw under-exploited global brands and believed they could make a fortune.

Vincent Tan swept into Cardiff on an ego trip.

Manchester City’s sheikhs want to increase Abu Dhabi’s global profile.

Roman ­Abramovich, like his pal Putin, wants European supremacy.

Bill Kenwright loves Everton.

It doesn’t take much to discern the motives of most football club owners.

But, like the entire population of the north-east, I’m increasingly baffled as to why Mike Ashley runs Newcastle United.

He’s long refused to talk to anyone about his relationship with the club, so we’ll never know the answer. But, given the chance, the first question I would ask him is whether he is simply satisfying deep-seated sadomasochistic tendencies - whether he’s getting off on all the agony.

Why else would a reclusive multi-billionaire, who doesn’t need the hassle or want the profile, inflict so much pain and humiliation in return for such public grief and vilification?

Why would you impose Joe Kinnear on a modern football club, not once, but twice?

Why buy no new players in the last two transfer windows, despite selling your best one, Yohan Cabaye, for £19m?

Why change the ground’s name, and flog the Magpies' famous shirt to a loan company for peanuts?

Why, when distraught “customers” demand an explanation for the current freefall that’s seen them lose 14 of their last 19 games, would a successful businessman offer nothing but a contemptuous silence?

His defenders say, that despite being worth £3.3 billion, Ashley can’t invest any of it in Newcastle, due to Financial Fair Play.

Sure. That’s really stopping ambitious owners elsewhere, isn’t it?

But that’s not really what the fans are asking.

They want to know why, despite being listed in Forbes Top 20 World’s Richest Clubs, with 50,000 average gates, the current eye-popping TV deal payments coming through, plus huge commercial potential, and having such a relatively low wage bill, Newcastle are failing to compete with smaller Premier League clubs in the transfer market and in youth ­development.

They believe Ashley long ago decided he didn’t care what happened to the team so long as it didn’t drain another penny from his pocket, he clawed back as much of his loans as he could and his retail empire obtained maximum publicity.

That he’s a Cockney barrow boy, determined to eventually turn a penny and walk off with two fingers in the air. Whose only future plan is to slash costs and stay in the black.

Cynically, as the season ticket renewals go out to utterly disillusioned fans, Ashley’s minions are whispering about his willingness to invest some cash this summer.

As if that’s a selfless act of charity, not a glaring necessity.

But unattributed words, like the stuff in his Sports Direct stores, are cheap. And Newcastle fans are reaching breaking point.

If their team loses again, at home to Cardiff on Saturday, the end-of-season lap of honour could be very ugly indeed.

Although maybe that’s not so much a dire warning to Ashley as a massive turn-on.

:clap:

Arguably the best, most to the point, piece yet.

Great stuff.

Guest Dom77

Brian Reade has always been on the side of the fans, and has always written from a fans perspective, even when others articles in the Mirror appear to contradict his opinions. 

I have a theory about Ashley's ownership of the club. Coming from a business/marketing background it actually makes perfect sense but doesn't bode well for us at all:

Ashley's reason for buying and continuing to own Newcastle United comes down to one thing - Advertising.

How much would he have to pay for the level of advertising he enjoys at Newcastle United? £millions, tens of £millions?

He gets to splash his brand all over one of the most recognisable stadiums in the most televised football league in the world and it will cost him £0.

Why?

Because the club is now self-sufficient, the only money he has put in he has either recouped already or is in the form of an interest free LOAN and the club's value will not drop unless we are relegated.

When (if he ever) sells us he will recoup everything he has ever put into the club, maybe even make a slight profit and he will have enjoyed 5-10 years of free advertising for Sports Direct, for the sum total of £0.

Apparently the stadium advertising currently taken up by Sports Direct branding is for sale. Really? Why didn't Wonga take up the option then? Why has no other company taken up the option? Because the truth is it isn't for up for grabs at all or if it is, it will be at such a ludicrously high price that no company in their right mind will sign up.

Why do we have no ambition to finish higher than mid-table or focus on the cups? Finishing higher up the league will put us in danger of entering the Europa League again which brings too many fixtures and may put us in danger of relegation again. Same with the lack of ambition in the domestic cups.

Ashley is one of the country's shrewdest and toughest businessmen. Emotion doesn't come in to any decision he makes. Look at how readily he will take a brand that has been built up by someone over the years and rinse it of any value or equity it has. His ownership of Newcastle United is a business decision pure and simple so whatever emotion we, the fans, show about the plight of the team will be like water off a duck's back, not because he has total contempt for us because of the Cockney Mafia protests but because emotion has no place in business.

As long as we stay in this league Pardew will be the manager. Why risk changing him for someone else who might shake things up and relegate us?

We might have lost 6 games in a row but we're still a Premier League club so Ashley gets another year of free advertising.

It's the league that he's interested in, not the club. We just happen to be the unlucky unit he picked to be the vehicle for the promotion of his company.

Even if attendances drop by 10,000 it will not matter as long as the club is breaking even. The protest at the weekend won't even register. It might make us feel better but it will change nothing.

The worst thing about this situation is there is no incentive for him to leave, unless he sells Sports Direct. £100m in a loan he is guaranteed to have repaid isn't a big risk for Ashley. He can sit on it for years.

Any talk of asset-stripping or pocketing money from the sale of players is nonsense. That's not what he is here for.

Sorry to say folks but he's here for the long-term and we might as well just get used to being a bog-standard, mid-table team.

Some people will argue that if Ashley prioritised the domestic cups or European competition he could potentially get more exposure for his brand. He would also risk raising the profile of the club, thereby attracting advertisers who might be serious about replacing the Sports Direct branding - it might even make it into the public domain so how do you spin that one?

It's also too much of a risk - what if he puts money in and it doesn't work out?  Better to maintain the current situation and reap the rewards.

But it won't cost him £0 will it, because he's already ploughed millions into buying the club?

Which he will recoup when he sells it. We are in a better financial position than when he bought us, with better training facilities and one of the league's best scouting systems?

Ashley is a billionaire. Putting £240 million into a project knowing full-well he'll get it back in a few years won't trouble him at all. Why would it?