Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Furthermore I was all for Ashley's scheme to buy a lot of young talent from across the UK and Europe and for me the announcement that the club is no longer going after under-18 players is a crushing blow. It's incredibly short-sighted and for me demonstrates that Ashley does not have long term commitment to his ideas - you are not going to hit the bullseye with every youth signing - in fact you will always get far more failures than successes when buying at that level, but it is something every club should do doing these days. Liverpool have signed dozens of talented kids in recent years and plenty of them didn't work out but now you are seeing the likes of Shelvey, Sterling and Suso come through. If anything we needed to step up that policy - not scrap it. It also takes time to build up the right scouting and coaching set-up and to learn from your failures. For Ashley to throw his toys out the pram because Ben Tozer, Samuel Adjei, Haris Vuckic and Aaron Spear didn't turn into megastars is idiotic. So that's lost him a lot of my support.

I think the feeling behind this was, no more spending money on players from other Academies (effectively giving money away) and instead spending that money on investing on better coaches at youth level to ensure the players we already have here are given the opportunity to become as good as they can. There still will be players signed at u18 level, just not for the high fees that were wasted on the likes of Tozer and Aaron Spear.

In part it goes back to your club ethos wish. The Academy has one, and is gearing up in delivering it. Hopefully they'll remain on board with the ethos and not change it (like what has happened in the past 15 years). There's been a good move away from the recruitment of physical players (teaching the tall, fast & strong to be footballers), to intelligent players that want to learn, can learn and adapt quickly.

It was a massive blow that we didn't gain the highest level Academy status though.

Again coming from investment imo.

That's not over with yet.

Furthermore I was all for Ashley's scheme to buy a lot of young talent from across the UK and Europe and for me the announcement that the club is no longer going after under-18 players is a crushing blow. It's incredibly short-sighted and for me demonstrates that Ashley does not have long term commitment to his ideas - you are not going to hit the bullseye with every youth signing - in fact you will always get far more failures than successes when buying at that level, but it is something every club should do doing these days. Liverpool have signed dozens of talented kids in recent years and plenty of them didn't work out but now you are seeing the likes of Shelvey, Sterling and Suso come through. If anything we needed to step up that policy - not scrap it. It also takes time to build up the right scouting and coaching set-up and to learn from your failures. For Ashley to throw his toys out the pram because Ben Tozer, Samuel Adjei, Haris Vuckic and Aaron Spear didn't turn into megastars is idiotic. So that's lost him a lot of my support.

I think the feeling behind this was, no more spending money on players from other Academies (effectively giving money away) and instead spending that money on investing on better coaches at youth level to ensure the players we already have here are given the opportunity to become as good as they can. There still will be players signed at u18 level, just not for the high fees that were wasted on the likes of Tozer and Aaron Spear.

In part it goes back to your club ethos wish. The Academy has one, and is gearing up in delivering it. Hopefully they'll remain on board with the ethos and not change it (like what has happened in the past 15 years). There's been a good move away from the recruitment of physical players (teaching the tall, fast & strong to be footballers), to intelligent players that want to learn, can learn and adapt quickly.

Yeah, I don't see why Ashley is being criticised over the youth development side. It's one area which really has improved under his ownership. The finer points of what you should spend on poaching players from other academies doesn't change that.

And it doesn't have any bearing on the current form of the first team either.

His transfer policies are flawed.

It's like building a house in the UK without any central heating to it.  Will be fine during the summer but utterly hopeless when it gets colder (i.e. tougher).

more insulation might resolve that problem i.e. a larger squad with decent backups

It's like building a house in the UK without any central heating to it.  Will be fine during the summer but utterly hopeless when it gets colder (i.e. tougher).

more insulation might resolve that problem i.e. a larger squad with decent backups

nah I reckon Ashley would build solid walls and forget about the windows.

nah I reckon Ashley would build solid walls and forget about the windows.

Not sure the walls would be solid like.  MDF at best.

Apparently Sports Direct have just acquired something, an announcement is expected next week. I'm guessing it's Umbro.

ibrox rights?

No, already been said it isn't that, HOOF or JD Sports.

Last season's success has come back to bite us on the arse this summer, Ashley will have assumed we're good enough to be able to repeat the feat again without major investment. But, when you factor in the inevitable loss of luck regarding injuries and Ashley's policy of buying good investments rather than players to fill a squad and ideology, this malaise was always just around the corner. It's also why I have an ounce of sympathy with Pardew and think everyone's jumped on his back too quickly. (Wigan is huge for him)

This requirement to do everything on the cheap and Ashley's treatment of players as investments and stock, rather than what they are, footballers who are part of a team that requires a deeper thought and recruitment process, will always be main thing holding us back as long as he's here.

I still have a feeling that our failure to strengthen has damaged the morale of some of our players too.

Yes and Yes.

I agree with both of these posts. We got very lucky last year and Ashley decided to take the gamble. Failed miserably.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest loven Mag 11

Happy you didnt splash even abit of cash now you miserable cunt. We could of built on last season you fucking arse flannel.