Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Do people still buy games from high street retailers ? I think it a dead industry personally, outside of the trading in used games. Most cost conscious folks will buy their PC games through Steam, kinquin, humble bundle et al. For consoles, the online stores for Xbox and Playstation are more than competitive and Amazon an other online retailers is the place generally to buy a game when you absolutely need the box.

They've had to diversify like but I'd imagine they still do decent business.  Digital new releases still aren't competitively priced on consoles and the trading in towards them just brings the cost down further.

Do people still buy games from high street retailers ? I think it a dead industry personally, outside of the trading in used games. Most cost conscious folks will buy their PC games through Steam, kinquin, humble bundle et al. For consoles, the online stores for Xbox and Playstation are more than competitive and Amazon an other online retailers is the place generally to buy a game when you absolutely need the box.

Dead?  No slowly dieing though, especially in this country.

Digital media is growing all the time and it's mostly cheaper to buy from online stores anyway.

But even if you wanted to buy from a high street retailer, there's much better alternatives than Game as they are disgustingly expensive which is probably why they keep going out of business.

Yes, the article.  Not Paully, he's class.

ah yeah of course, i thought you meant the "order" by ashley itself (which isn't great) but reading that was actually painful

I find myself a little confused at the Rangers shirt sales deal mentioned there with 93% of the retail price going to SD.  Ope shared a very interesting article earlier in which shirt deals were discussed and this was one of the snippets:

No club has ever directly recouped a player’s transfer fee through shirt sales.

adidas, Nike, Puma, and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard.

So if the kit supplier is getting 90% of the shirt sale revenue, how is SD taking 93% of the retail price?  They would seem to be mutually exclusive.

Guest neesy111

Sports Direct get 93% off the profits that come from the retail operation, then the kit supplier will get 90% of what SD has bought the shirt at.

Pretty simple to work out.

Possibly although the mention of 'retail price' implies that SD gets the 93% of what it goes for on the shelves.  Another possibility I suppose is that SD takes the 93% then passes the 90% on to the supplier which leaves a split of 7% to Rangers and 3% to SD.

Guest neesy111

NUFC used to have a very good retail operation, it was actually ahead of Man Utd's at one point in the 90's in terms of the shirts they sold through the retail element. 

Guest neesy111

It's total shit that our club shop is Sports Direct TBH, clubs should have proper shops with nice stuff in them.

:thup:

More chance this is the reason why he wants to sell up so he can use the cash to finance more retail acquisitions...

I was thinking about it earlier, maybe SD piggy backing on the back of NUFC and the premiership has reached its limit of what it can do now for SD now.