Newcastle 3 - 1 Blackburn Rovers - 24/09/11 - post-match reaction from page 27

Disco

I watched the game on a live stream so don't take it as gospel, the things that stuck out:

-Krul looks very calm and looks to pass through the defense before deciding to kick

-Ryan taylor is becoming a better defender than Simpson, who is not improving at all.

-Colo and Tayls have a great partnership going and cannot fault either of them

-Our midfield options are looking great, when Marveaux is back that should give the kick up the backside that Jonas needs to improve his final pass...

-When ben arfa is back our front options will be great and shola (lumbering one) + Lovenkrands will hopefully become history. Looks like 100% truth about Ba's fasting causing the low performances earlier this season

***just need santon to replace simpson/raylor (take pick), a striker and LB to be bought in Jan and we will be comoeting in Europe again soon****

In the second goal, both Colo and Saylor were up attacking the penalty box. Simpson long ball to Saylor from opposition's half (Simpson and Raylor the 2 defenders staying back), Saylor's header to Colo, Colo missed it and blackburn defender headed it to Ba, Ba scored.

A bit too adventurous in my opinion, not that I am complaining :-P

In the second goal, both Colo and Saylor were up attacking the penalty box. Simpson long ball to Saylor from opposition's half (Simpson and Raylor the 2 defenders staying back), Saylor's header to Colo, Colo missed it and blackburn defender headed it to Ba, Ba scored.

We had just had a corner, so they stayed up when Simpson got the ball.

Just watching the game back now. Apart from his pass that essentially cost us the goal, Ryan Taylor had a decent game. Some very good last ditch defending.

Still want him out of the team sooner rather than later mind.

I was screaming at Tiote to play the long ball to Taylor but luckily Simpson did so a couple of seconds later. It was a really good move, despite getting a touch of luck in the end. My ratings:

Krul- 6 Can't remember him having a save to make.

Simpson- 6 Supported Obertan well, was barely troubled at the back.

Taylor- 7 Good semi-assist, was strong throughout.

Coloccini- 8 The guy ooses calm, played the ball out from the back fantastic.

Taylor- 6 Again the oppo didn't take advantage of him, solid (one sloppy pass apart).

Obertan- 7 Best performance for us so far, needs to work on his crossing. Had a couple of pops at goal, nice to see.

Cabaye- 6.5 Largely man marked out the game, was better in the second half.

Tiote- 7.5 Bossed the midfield, looks better everyweek.

Jonas- 6 At his frustrating best, needs to improve his end product if he want's to keep his place.

Best- 7 Showed some great touches and good partnership with Ba, should have got his goal.

Ba- 9 Two great goals and one poached, looking forward to seeing him again.

Ben Arfa, Marveaux - 6

It was the free-kick Jonas won on the edge of the box.

Just watching the game back now. Apart from his pass that essentially cost us the goal, Ryan Taylor had a decent game. Some very good last ditch defending.

That's the main problem with Taylor at full back, his defending when someone is running at him isn't great but it's not a great deal worse than Simpson's and he can do good things - he made a great goal saving header at the back post when it would have been easy to head it past Krul, think it was just before Yakubu hit the bar - and his offensive capabilities are obvious... but he is the most likely in the team to drop a complete bollock and cost us a goal.

The defending for that goal was staggeringly bad. Both our strikers standing totally unmarked at the back post. :lol:

That's the main problem with Taylor at full back, his defending when someone is running at him isn't great but it's not a great deal worse than Simpson's and he can do good things - he made a great goal saving header at the back post when it would have been easy to head it past Krul, think it was just before Yakubu hit the bar - and his offensive capabilities are obvious... but he is the most likely in the team to drop a complete bollock and cost us a goal.

Yeah, the back post header was what prompted me to make the comment.

Guest Haris Vuckic

There was a 5 yard pass from Ben Arfa  to Tiote where he lifted the ball with his foot & flung it.

He had to be taking the piss. :lol:

Despite seeming to make a point of mentioning 'long' or 'deep' balls beginning the moves for our goals, an article markedly lacking in venom/bitterness from Louise Taylor for once:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/24/newcastle-united-blackburn-rovers-premier-league

Alan Pardew had cited Demba Ba's recent observance of Ramadan as a reason for his rather low-key start to life on Tyneside but, fortified by a pre-match meal, the Senegal striker delighted in showing his new public precisely what he is capable of.

Ba's hat-trick not only extended Newcastle United's impressive unbeaten beginning to the season but sent a Blackburn Rovers side that had arrived seeking a sixth straight win at St James' Park back across the Pennines with their manager, Steve Kean, once again facing questions about his job security.

"Our control of the game was pleasing and the speed of some of our passing and movement was very, very good," enthused Pardew, Newcastle's manager. "We've got real quality in a strong side and we're going to win more than we lose. My forwards are rising to the challenge of proving that I don't need to sign another striker and this team's starting to excite me."

Ba's opening goal, and first for Newcastle, derived from Fabricio Coloccini's perceptive long, cross-field pass, which was met by the impressive Leon Best wide on the left. Best supplied a decent cross and Ba turned Scott Dann adroitly before directing a subtly curving, perfectly weighted strike into the top corner.

Another long ball, from Danny Simpson this time, prefaced his second, Ba heading beyond Paul Robinson after Steven Taylor had nodded Simpson's lob back across goal.

Junior Hoilett was proving Blackburn's most dangerous attacker, using his deployment wide on the right to fully emphasise why Ryan Taylor is not a natural left-back.

Hoilett reduced the deficit before half-time, meeting Martin Olsson's cross from the left with an assured first touch, allowing the ball to bounce and sending a ferocious half-volley beyond a helpless Tim Krul.

With Ba completing his treble shortly after the break it proved a false dawn for Kean. Home goal number three began with Cheik Tioté's deep, angled delivery into the area. Connecting with the ball at the far post, Ba screwed a looping header goalwards and, although Best got in front of Dann, that effort had crossed the line before Best could apply a final touch.

Things got even worse for Blackburn when Olsson was sent off after receiving his second yellow card after cynically hauling Yohan Cabaye down.

Although Cabaye's customarily incisive style had been cramped courtesy of some tight man-marking by Jason Lowe, the freedom consequently granted to other members of Pardew's midfield, most notably Gabriel Obertan, ensured Kean's pre-match game plan backfired.

Ba, meanwhile, departed to a 74th-minute ovation when the warmly welcomed Hatem Ben Arfa replaced him. Making his first appearance at St James' after a year spent recovering from a badly broken leg, Ben Arfa sparked in the hole, his improvisation and invention suggesting a currently fourth-placed Newcastle may just enjoy an infinitely better campaign than widely forecast.

Of course, probably worth bearing in mind, she probably forecast us to finish 21st. And we'd have been lucky to be so high, too.

Guest Haris Vuckic

When we tried to play football they just fouled us - so many tactical fouls yesterday stopped us playing & the yellow should have been out sooner for the sake of the game.

One of the things that I was pleased with was the way we were consistently winning the ball in the air. Best and Ba, supported by Obertan were winning the flick-ons from the goal kicks more often than not, you just don't get that with Shola or Loven in the team. It's hardly master tactics but we seemed to keep the high ball away from Samba for the most part which enabled us to win the ball.

This isn't to say that we are, or indeed that I want us to be, a long ball team. There are, however, times when there is no choice but to go long and it's good to know that we can make something of this when it's called on.

I think we are starting to look a really nice footballing side though, plenty of pace and movement coupled with a bit of brute strength is a quality combination to have in a team.

Obertan, whilst having a good game yesterday, is going to frustrate the hell out of me. You can see he has bags of pace and should have attacked the full back more yesterday, and the final ball which I think everyone agrees is a little unpredictable. Having him and Jonas on the pitch at the same time is going to bring many a groan from the stands.

Krul - 6 Little to do but was solid and delivery was good.

Simpson - 5 Looking like Santon will be in to replace him rather than Raylor if he doesn't buck his ideas up. Decent delivery but suspect defensively.

Saylor - 7 Forming a good partnership with Colo. Wins the ball and is a threat in the oppo box. Still looks liable to drop a clanger though.

Colo - 8 Cool, calm, commanding. Makes it look easy.

Raylor - 6 Less bad than Simpson. Horrible clanger for their goal but otherwise did little wrong.

Obertan - 7  :undecided: Looks great at times but final ball too often is sub standard. Decent game yesterday though.

Tiote - 8 Dominating. Cool in possesion, solid tackes and ran the game.

Cabaye - 6 in the first half, 8 in the second. Seemed to be by-passed in the first half but made up for it in the second with some great passing. Looks like a real winning combo with Tiote.

Jonas - 7 Much the same as Obertan. Great at times but frustrating with some final balls and decisions.

Best - 7.5 Stong in the air, good on the ball. Should have scored at least one, if not three but finishing let him down.

Ba - 8 Took his goals well and his all round play was much better. Good running and movement and also won a lot of the high balls. Much improved.

Barfa - Easy to go overboard with a rating for him, so I'll just say he looked awesome and I can't wait to see him get properly back in to it.

Marveux - Really like the look of him. Interesting cameo.

Pards - 7 - He's going about it in the right way. I'm impressed with the way he's got the team seemingly playing for him/each other. The football isn't too bad either. Hope is a dangerous thing, but I have to at least believe he isn't going to make a complete pigs ear of it after all.

And finally. Smith - 10. Nowhere near the fucking pitch. Let's keep it that way.