Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

First 70 minutes was a damn good away performance.

Ultimately though you were extremely lucky to win that. Should've been a penalty against S. Taylor, and although I haven't seen a decisive replay, it certainly didn't look like the whole ball was out before Wolves' disallowed goal.

Still, you have to take what you can get and ride your luck. Every result isn't going to directly reflect the relevant performance in that match. Up until the last 10 minutes, I thought your performance was assured and professional, and Wolves were looking fairly desperate. It was a clear case of one side having confidence and one side lacking it.

:thup: The last 10 minutes was a nightmare. But I guess you got to have a bit of luck to get into Europe. :pards:

Ultimately though you were extremely lucky to win that. Should've been a penalty against S. Taylor, and although I haven't seen a decisive replay, it certainly didn't look like the whole ball was out before Wolves' disallowed goal.

Still, you have to take what you can get and ride your luck. Every result isn't going to directly reflect the relevant performance in that match. Up until the last 10 minutes, I thought your performance was assured and professional, and Wolves were looking fairly desperate. It was a clear case of one side having confidence and one side lacking it.

As I understand it, it's because the player was completely out of play when he stopped the ball (headed it back) on the line.

Bit annoying we'll have two more weeks of "lucky start to the season to be fourth" (after Chelsea's win tomorrow). Based on today's second half, they'd be right mind you. Would be nice to get some credit and some compliments which weren't back-handed.

Decent first half performance but what a difference half time made. The positives for me were Krul is really building up his confidence, Tiote didn't do anything stupid to play himself into trouble and get booked, Obertan made some good runs although he should have done better when he recieved the ball and Ba and Best seem to be continuing to build up a bit of a partnership up front.

However Pardew made reactionary substitutions rather than tactical when he should have, and the personnel brought on was baffling.  Marveux must have killed Pardews cat, unless he really is that deluded to think that Lovenkrands offers anything at all at this level.

Another good three points though, and that should be just under the half way point for safety this season.

As I understand it, it's because the player was completely out of play when he stopped the ball (headed it back) on the line.

It's the ball that matters though?

Eh? :lol:

Bit annoying we'll have two more weeks of "lucky start to the season to be fourth" (after Chelsea's win tomorrow). Based on today's second half, they'd be right mind you. Would be nice to get some credit and some compliments which weren't back-handed.

Well you don't get 15 points from 7 games by pure luck. You've played well, been a really solid unit and been tough to beat, as the losses column will show. Equally, I think you're also fortunate to stay unbeaten. There's nearly always going to be some sort of luck involved for a team like Newcastle, or indeed any team bar perhaps the 2 Manchesters and Chelsea to be unbeaten after 7 games. Just look at us in 04/05 sneaking wins here and there. Did we deserve to win all the games we won? Did we hell.

Well you don't get 15 points from 7 games by pure luck. You've played well, been a really solid unit and been tough to beat, as the losses column will show. Equally, I think you're also fortunate to stay unbeaten. There's nearly always going to be some sort of luck involved for a team like Newcastle, or indeed any team bar perhaps the 2 Manchesters and Chelsea to be unbeaten after 7 games. Just look at us in 04/05 sneaking wins here and there. Did we deserve to win all the games we won? Did we hell.

Does every team deserve to win every game they do though? No. And that goes for Man U too. It's part of the game.

Just answer it with "Thats what top teams do" :)

Guest Heneage

There are positives and negatives from today like with most games  this season.

+ Positives

Good away performance.

Two goals and more importantly another one for Demba Ba

Sounds like for periods we controlled the ball and possession further enhancing our new tactical mantra.

We've got more than a bit of luck and managed to hold on.

We do like quite dangerous on the counter.

- Negatives

We've conceded a goal.

That in turn has put us under real pressure for a period of the game when we should have been looking to close it out.

Just as we look quite dangerous out wide, our fullbacks are also our biggest weakness. Santon can thankfully come in, but really I'd quite like another fullback to come in be it RB or LB.

The fact Lovenkrands and Guthrie came on really didn't help us at all, it's a worry that Pardew sees them as viable sub options ahead of Sylvian and Ben Arfa.

Overall I think you've got to be happy with today because on another day it's a draw or a loss. While it's fantastic to get the decisions it's important that we don't ignore the shortcomings of the players involved in those situations because we won't always be that lucky. 

I don't think we're lucky to have stayed unbeaten. Didn't see the game today but by all accounts, Wolves still wouldn't have won 3-2.

Read a few more accounts. Denied a penalty, denied a goal.. haven't seen the stats yet but my guess is they had way more attempts than us by the end of the game.

Oh, and Krul saved our ass on more than one occasion.

I'll give this rating shit a go -

Krul - 10 - Man of the match without a doubt. Fantastic keeper.

Simpson - 5 - Did some alright stuff but really, really needs to stop backing off and inviting crosses.

Saylor - 6 - Great last ditch defending but nearly cost us for the penna.

Colo - 7 - His determination to play it out every time is great when we're going forward and looking for goals, but can cost us when we're sitting back. We shouldn't be sitting back though, so he's fine by me.

Raylor - 7 - Didn't do much wrong and saved our skins a few times.

Obertan - 6 - Decent in the first, unsurprisingly ineffective in the second.

Cabaye - 6 - Helped keep possession and kept us moving forward, not surprised he was buggered as he was working his fucking arse off.

Tiote - 7 - Was class in the first half, was essentially another centre back in the second half but he had a job and he did it well.

Jonas - 8 - Superb goal, a constant danger and like Cabaye I'm not shocked that he was knackered.

Ba - 7 - Can't argue with a goal, and he did fairly well otherwise as well.

Best - 6 - Was pretty good in the first half, didn't really have the opportunity to do much in the second.

Ben Arf- oh wait, Marv - ah, hang on, Lovenkrands - 5 - A typical uninteresting game from him. Should never have been brought on.

Guthrie - didn't have enough time to make any kind of impact.

Pardew - 4 - Same team and game plan from the Blackburn game, which was fine, until he decided to fuck it all up to hell in the second half and decided it would make great tactical sense if we spectacularly imploded. Wish he would hurry up and learn his fucking lesson about Lovenkrands.

I don't think we're lucky to have stayed unbeaten. Didn't see the game today but by all accounts, Wolves still wouldn't have won 3-2.

huh? they should've had a pen and they scored a wrongly disallowed goal. they also had 25 shots to our 10, and we were lucky to not concede on 4 or 5 other occasions when poor finishing, ridiculous saves and goal line clearances, and tbh just pure plain luck saved us.

might help if you'd seen the game tbh :lol:

Read a few more accounts. Denied a penalty, denied a goal.. haven't seen the stats yet but my guess is they had way more attempts than us by the end of the game.

Nah... they would never have won the game 3-2. If they'd had equalised we'd have put pressure on ourselves, as would any team. We had chances too and our goalkeeper played well. Again i'm only going off stuff that i have read, but the whole thing where you tot-up decisions that "should've been"... people don't account for how the opposition would then react. If you get what i mean.

huh? they should've had a pen and they scored a wrongly disallowed goal. they also had 25 shots to our 10, and we were lucky to not concede on 4 or 5 other occasions when poor finishing, ridiculous saves and goal line clearances, and tbh just pure plain luck saved us.

might help if you'd seen the game tbh :lol:

See above. If they'd have equalised we'd have put pressure on. Don't disagree that i'm blind to the game itself, but as i say - when people tot-up decisions that should've been, it's unrealistic.

Was talking to a few mates during the game, we've booked the train tickets down to London for the Champions League Final 2013, can't wait to see us win it.

I'm pretty sure you can't book train tickets that far in advance like. :lol: