Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

The only subs we've really been bringing on the last few games are Marveaux, Sammy and Ben Arfa, not sure why he's changed tack this game.

Because it doesn't make sense if we asked HBA to tackle.  I understand Pardew's approach and to be defensive it's correct to bring in Lovenkrands and Guthrie.

My question is just WHY WE HAVE TO BE THAT DEFENSIVE FFS.

Why, because of the amazing tackles Loven puts in every game? <_< Having Loven on made us play with 10 men for all purposes and intents.

The only subs we've really been bringing on the last few games are Marveaux, Sammy and Ben Arfa, not sure why he's changed tack this game.

Because those 3 offer absolutely bot all on the defensive side of things.

I disagree, we were clearly inviting pressure on ourselves that half and they'd have at least meant we had more of the ball.  Lovenkrands on is daft, he's better off bringing any of those 3 on and Cabaye couldn't have managed another 8 minutes?  He's the best passer on the pitch, you keep him on unless he's really struggling imo.  It's the Lovenkrands one that's really strange though, Marveaux or Ben Arfa gives us more pace and possession whereas Lovenkrands is now just a poacher who will pop up with the odd goal.

Great result but very poor second half. Very poor indeed. Marveaux doesn't waste possession, so a real mistake not to bring him on for Obertan after 65 or so.

But still, credit to Demba and Jonas for scoring. Besty did well with little too. Great result!

Those subs were a disgrace, like. What was a comfortable win now looks like 'another lucky win for overachieving Newcastle'.

Totally agree.

We hardly touched the ball in the second half apart from desperate hoofs into the stands.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Pardew - 2

Probably influenced by that shocking second half though. Never been so angry despite winning.

2? :lol: We won away to Wolves ffs.

Crazy.

Krul 10 (convinced he's the best in the league! pro-evo style confidence for balls in the box. If it was in his area, and he was there, it stuck to him)

Simpson 6.5 (did okay, helped the team, overwhelmed on the right at times because Obertan was going walkabout)

Taylor 7 (lucky twat for the penalty, but also great heroic defending)

Colo 8 (look knackered at the end and had that wobbly defending moment by the touchline)

Raylor 7 (tried hard, brave defending, lack of ability left him exposed a couple of times)

Obertan 4.5 (really, really poor - didn't work for the team at all)

Tiote 7.5 (steely)

Cabaye 7.5 (great control of the play first half, faded in the second - mainly due to our 'come at me bro' tactics)

Gutierrez 8.5 (fantastic shift, great individual goal - got involved lots in the first half, would have had a higher mark if he got a couple more goals which he could have done really)

Best 8 (great team performance, good decision-making - like most, looked tired at the end)

Ba 7.5 (good goal, should have had more after spurning one or two when Best put him through)

Pardew - 5

Remember the comment that Pardew made when he brought HBA on against Blackburn, he said that really he should have brought Loverkrands on but the game was in a good place for HBA. I think this sub was him trying to say sorry to Lovenkrands for that. You can see his idea but he's the boss he's got to be stronger than that. Raylor made one wonderful block in the first half but lost his man for the goal, he needs to start the real LB that we have, he needs to get HBA in the team and personally I would like to see more of Marveaux, despite that we won and we are 3rd in the league, he's not gonna change that side any time soon, but a really good manager would.

Because those 3 offer absolutely bot all on the defensive side of things.

I disagree, we were clearly inviting pressure on ourselves that half and they'd have at least meant we had more of the ball.  Lovenkrands on is daft, he's better off bringing any of those 3 on and Cabaye couldn't have managed another 8 minutes?  He's the best passer on pitch, you keep him on unless he's really struggling imo.  It's the Lovenkrands one that's really strange though, Marveaux or Ben Arfa gives us more pace and possession whereas Lovenkrands is now just a poacher who will pop up with the odd goal.

The other thing with Lovenkrands is he can't hold the ball. The last thing you need is a player who can't keep possession in a game like that.

Get the fuck in.

Third in the table. :lol:

This, basically. Will wait to see the highlights on Sky later on before passing judgement but it does sound like the Lovenkrands curse nearly did for us...

Remember the comment that Pardew made when he brought HBA on against Blackburn, he said that really he should have brought Loverkrands on but the game was in a good place for HBA. I think this sub was him trying to say sorry to Lovenkrands for that. You can see his idea but he's the boss he's got to be stronger than that. Raylor made one wonderful block in the first half but lost his man for the goal, he needs to start the real LB that we have, he needs to get HBA in the team and personally I would like to see more of Marveaux, despite that we won and we are 3rd in the league, he's not gonna change that side any time soon, but a really good manager would.

I remember that. He's got it in his head that Lovenkrands offers something as a last half hour sub, and I'm not sure what that is (except a much better chance of losing).

Wonder what Pardew told them at half time (or even after we scored the second). Was the tactic to hold on and that's it? Thought Pardew would have realised if we were starting to come under pressure, it's natural that the home team would start bombarding the goal towards the end when losing.

Seen nowt of the game, but the difference in feeling on here from half time is mental.

Krul - 10 - Made save after save and took some great catches too to take the pressure off. MOM

Simpson - 6 - did OK but still backs off a bit too much

Taylor - 8 - won most things in the air and some great blocks

Coloccini - 7 - did well although there were a couple of easily avoidable errors

Taylor - 6 - see Simpson

Obertan - 6 - looked dangerous on the break, faded badly in the 2nd, don't like the way he bottles challenges

Cabaye - 6 - kept it ticking over nicely in the first, tired in the 2nd but he's still adapting so it's understandable

Tiote - 6.5 - still taking too many risks for my liking, did alreet though

Jonas - 8 - great goal, looked a threat all game, unlucky not to have 2 to his name

Ba - 7.5 - held the ball up well, took a great goal and we were noticably poorer when he went off

Best - 6.5 - toiled hard but not to be his day

Lovenkrands - 5 - Didn't do much, although we didn't have the ball much when he was on.

Guthrie - N/A

Marveaux - N/A

That team is just not set up to sit on a lead. Whenever we tried to keep possession, the ball ended up going backwards, the players came under more and more pressure, and we ended up giving it away.

If you're playing with two out and out strikers like that, you have to keep getting the ball forward and supporting them. Otherwise they're isolated and they get knackered. If you're trying to keep possession, put on another midfield player.

Wenger gets unjustly criticised for continuing to attack when he's ahead. But it's important to keep the initiative.

Guest mimifrench

Well, the other premier league teams are going/have to take you seriously now...

But can someone explain me why Marveaux isn't actually playing in your team ?

Guest hatem garrincha

The problem was not the subs but the way Pardew decided to play the second half : too defensively

Pardew - 2

Probably influenced by that shocking second half though. Never been so angry despite winning.

2? :lol: We won away to Wolves ffs.

And we were cruising until he brought Lovenkrands on. It was obvious that we needed another body in midfield. It should have been Ben Arfa. All our good play ended with that substitution and we were hanging on for the last half an hour and only Krul and a bordeline bent ref saved us.