Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

Guest VaVaVoom

How would people feel about us signing Diame as Tiotes understudy. Was easily equal to our midfield destroyer today and provides more of a goal threat.

Sure he got a mention a while ago too.

Looked good, there seems to be a few Tiote'esq players in the PL. Song and Diame play the same kinda game.

I'd be looking at Gosling in that role. We are going to need him in January and i really hope he does enough to mean we dont have Smith in that role after christmas!

We're not going to get any plaudits this week though! More cries of "false position" - and if you'd watched just that game, not far off the mark.

Did you really expect us to piss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

I expected us, not unreasonably, to play much better than that.

You're not going to play well every week. That's the worst we've played over a full 90 (mainly down to complacency) and yet we still dug out a win and kept a clean sheet - speaks volumes.

I've pretty much divided our season as pre-QPR and post-QPR, when we really started to click as a team. That was the worst 90 post-QPR, but it wasn't that bad in comparison to pre-QPR and QPR in itself.

We defended ok. We gave them far too much time and space in midfield and couldn't put pressure on their midfield. They also exploited the huge gap at LB that we had throughout the match for some reason and that really pushed us back far more than usual and made it harder to launch attacks. Maybe it's just a tactics thing that Martinez cleverly exploited but I just think it's Taylor taking his time to move up and down the pitch, and thus not being able to generate any pressure on their attackers. Santon should be able to deal with these issues better, and thus I would like to see him start asap.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

How would people feel about us signing Diame as Tiotes understudy. Was easily equal to our midfield destroyer today and provides more of a goal threat.

On a free this summer :shifty:

Had a top, top game for them.

Charlie on SSN saying we haven't played anyone yet to be tested. We have played half the teams we can play and test we have got to come up against Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea but lets be honest we aren't challenging them for the title.

Load of shite.  The only time those 3 are tests is when they are playing each other.

Most of our matches have been tests as trying to break into the top 10 would have been the realistic plan and we've passed with flying colours, aswell as drawing with teams no one would have given us a sniff against pre season.

If people try and slate us if we end up getting 0 points against the 2 Mancs and Chelsea they are clueless.

Guest VaVaVoom

For the record, I am not disputing that it's great that we won (indeed, I believe I highlighted I was ecstatic) - but I see nothing wrong in acknowledging a poor performance with the continuation of some worrying trends.

Of course.

We are still a young team learning to play in our system together. For us to be doing this well whilst having creases to iron out can only be a good thing though...no?

When Barfa settles, Marveaux is starting for us and Santon a permanent fixture in the back four then we will really push on and establish ourselves as a side.

Exciting times.

Thank fuck for that. Missed the game as I was playing football but this was a massive game. The first time we've really had any overwhelming expectancy to win and we managed it. Sounds like it was frustrating as hell mind.

Only slight gripe with Pardew is he seems reactive rather than proactive with his team selection. I would have thought he'd have made at least one change to the lineup today. To be fair I can understand the not broken don't fix it mentality as its working for us at the minute, but i would like to see Santon/Marv/Barfa gradually being embedded into the team... Before we lose.

Had a top, top game for them.

Rodallega and Diame on a free in the summer. yes please. Would give us some quality depth.

poor 1st half, better 2nd but not a convincing performance but 3 points is 3 points and sign of a good side that can win ugly blah blah blah (or so we're told about Man U every single time they play shite yet win)

HBA made a difference 2nd half helping us to get the ball a lot more

Shocking performance. We were not creating anything at all. Little movement and wasteful contributions from Obertan and Jonas (first half). Even though Marveaux only played 15 minutes, he showed he's vastly superior to Obertan, who let's be honest, is far from a starting player. He has pace... Yeah, that's it. Our current starting fullbacks are also weak links. Simpson with his usual Simpson-performance, and almost everything Wigan created happened on Raylors side, which caused him a bit of trouble. We're clearly screaming for fullbacks equal to the other defenders quality wise. Hey, here's an idea, there's an Italian guy chillaxin on the bench playing angry birds. That solves one problem. Now do something about it Pardew.  :knuppel2:

That said we showed some glimpses when Cabaye, Marveaux and Ben Arfa were toying with them for a couple of spells. But that was about it, apart from a few half chances and Best's "I can't believe he didn't blast that ball into the net" chance in the first half. 3 points is wonderful though, and Cabaye's goal brought the tissues out. Also, Krul was at his A-game yet again. Class act.

Krul 8, Simpson 5, Saylor 7, Colo 7, Raylor 6 - Obertan 4, Tiote 6, Cabaye 6, Jonas 6 - Best 5, Ba 5

Ben Arfa 6, Ameobi 4, Marveaux 6

Another 3 points!

Lets be honest we weren't great today but we got the result we wanted and it was another test and showing of our battling side which won us the game in the end.

Wigan worked hard, they were always going to make it difficult if we didnt get up and at them from the off.

They had chances, we had more chances...Actually we done better in every department on the pitch and had Pardew brought Marveaux on at half time instead of letting Obertan kill our play time and time again we may of won it by a couple more.

Delighted for Cabaye! Its been coming and we werent dissapointed. Very tidy finishing arriving late in the box is exactly what we need to be doing more of, needless to say it was a Marveaux assist who done far more in his brief cameo than what Obertan has in every game he's played.

Pardew....He's done well, made the right subs today but surely this has to show that Marveaux has to be starting?

All in all im very pleased with another win and there were many positives from today, looking forward to the development squad against Blackburn now.

:thup:

Compared to last year, scratch that, compared to many many years, even when we struggle like today, we are just such a joy to watch.

I can sympathise with Beren and the like, but Santon and Marvaeux will get there chance when the coaching team feel it's right, there's no need to get stressed about it, especially when it's clear the manager clearly rates them too.

Love it. Fucking love it. :booze:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/129927084.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789219B309651A2344B3FD33542E8A0051E6F60A95E0129FF7C4E7CE0B451719AA8C4

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/129927049.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789219B309651A2344B3F8D464A3D5107046D60A95E0129FF7C4EC20EE4AECFBC37B6

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/129927039.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789219B309651A2344B3FC6DE209715EB272860A95E0129FF7C4E65F89B8017D8AF10

:smitten:

Charlie on SSN saying we haven't played anyone yet to be tested. We have played half the teams we can play and test we have got to come up against Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea but lets be honest we aren't challenging them for the title.

Load of s****.  The only time those 3 are tests is when they are playing each other.

Most of our matches have been tests as trying to break into the top 10 would have been the realistic plan and we've passed with flying colours, aswell as drawing with teams no one would have given us a sniff against pre season.

If people try and slate us if we end up getting 0 points against the 2 Mancs and Chelsea they are clueless.

Perfectly said,really starting to pi$$ e off..pundits saying we havent been tested.. was our aim champions league football before the season started.. NO.

We've done absolutely brilliantly thus fair,enough said.

And there's no way HBA gets 2 marks higher than Shola, like.

Indeed. Shola played well. HBA did not.

Wouldn't say either of them were particularly great or bad. Just done their jobs sufficiently.

And there's no way HBA gets 2 marks higher than Shola, like.

Indeed. Shola played well. HBA did not.

Well? He did nothing noticeable, back to his shitness.

But HBA played well? Obviously didn't see the game.