On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

Mine spectacularly nosedived and hit some bald fella on the head ten rows down. :lol:

Aye, don't think those in the front rows will look back on the day with as much amusement, for every decent one about 10 or so went flying into the back of some blokes head. :lol:

This was genuinely the most boring game ever seen at St James' Park in my lifetime. The pitch was covered in them flyers.

Don't know like, we played Boro in 06/07 (think) and was 0-0, genuinely fuck all happened all game. Atmosphere was dire as well.

Good shout, that was a truly abysmal game.

This was genuinely the most boring game ever seen at St James' Park in my lifetime. The pitch was covered in them flyers.

Don't know like, we played Boro in 06/07 (think) and was 0-0, genuinely f*** all happened all game. Atmosphere was dire as well.

Aye this one was also in my mind.

Guest Roger Kint

Don't know like, we played Boro in 06/07 (think) and was 0-0, genuinely fuck all happened all game. Atmosphere was dire as well.

Ipswich at home(Coles last goal for us iirc) was the worst thing i ever sat through

Can't understand people who think it's embarrassing tbh.

Ferguson did KK up like a kipper. The mind games were Keegan's downfall and he just ended up looking very naivet. I can see why people say it was passionate, but Ferguson had set out to wind him up and KK just looked daft in biting.

never agreed with this. it wasn't mind games it was whining "why do teams play harder against us than them wwhah whah whah" if it was a manager at the bottom doing it no-one would call it mind games and it the same sort of crap the fans come out with every week to make excuses for their teams.

after it was called mind games ferguson did try it deliberatly the season after with wenger, arsene kicked his arse.

What Dave and Madras said.

On this day 20 years ago, was when we won 2-1 at Leicester City, which clinched our survival under KK. A goal from Gavin Peacock and a last minute own goal from Steve Walsh got us the win. I remember being glued to be radio that day, being in real fear of us being relegated. The relief that was at the final whistle was immense. Christ knows what is was like for those who went down there, but I've heard plenty 'stories'!

20 years - is it really that long? :o

Guest neesy111

Would we have gone down with a draw?

Nope.  We could had lost and stayed up, but we needed the win to make sure.

In the end, I think the win didn't matter, but we could have still went down had we lost and other results went against us. Am sure there will be some old timers who were there that day.

I was there for the Pompey game the week before, when Ned Kelly scored the winner. Was bedlam in the Scoreboard when the ball hit the net As magnificent an experience of celebrating a goal being scored as I've had in 30 odd years of following this lot. :coolsmiley:

Can't understand people who think it's embarrassing tbh.

Ferguson did KK up like a kipper. The mind games were Keegan's downfall and he just ended up looking very naivet. I can see why people say it was passionate, but Ferguson had set out to wind him up and KK just looked daft in biting.

never agreed with this. it wasn't mind games it was whining "why do teams play harder against us than them wwhah whah whah" if it was a manager at the bottom doing it no-one would call it mind games and it the same sort of crap the fans come out with every week to make excuses for their teams.

after it was called mind games ferguson did try it deliberatly the season after with wenger, arsene kicked his arse.

What Dave and Madras said.

Ferguson's 'mind games' is one of the greatest myths surrounding English football.  People love to make out as if he is a genius when it comes to the psychological aspect of the game - when if you look at the facts, his team has imploded quite a few times under pressure.

On this day 20 years ago, was when we won 2-1 at Leicester City, which clinched our survival under KK. A goal from Gavin Peacock and a last minute own goal from Steve Walsh got us the win. I remember being glued to be radio that day, being in real fear of us being relegated. The relief that was at the final whistle was immense. Christ knows what is was like for those who went down there, but I've heard plenty 'stories'!

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,65836.msg2075980.html#msg2075980

2005 Crystal Palace (h)

0-0 (0-0)

Premiership

40pts, 14th

A second home 0-0 in four days had United fans hoying paper aeroplanes and making hats out of promotional carrier bags in sheer boredom.

The home side dominated the game and twice netted - only for both to be ruled out by referee Alan Wiley for infringements.

Can't even remember that bit about two being disallowed... but the paper plane that went from the Leazes all the way down right next to Given in his 6 yard box I remember well. Biggest cheer of the day.

Guest Geordiesned

Wow 20 years ago!

I remember it well. I couldn't get a ticket so was listening to it on the radio at my mate's house. About 8 of us crammed into his bedroom. He lived right next to Whitley Bay Golf Course and I can remember us scaring the shit out of someone lining up a 6 footer on the adjacent green when Walsh's own goal went in.

Guest BooBoo

I was at Lecester that day. Was just a kid but it was pretty scary at the end with two pitch invasions and it kicking off all over.

Majestic finish from Peacock for the opener.

38 years ago today we lost 3-0 in the FA Cup final to Liverpool. KK scoring 2. In his autobiography he says the way the Newcastle fans behaved that day played a huge part in why he signed for us in 82. I've just watched it on ESPN. Wow. Amazing fans

38 years ago today we lost 3-0 in the FA Cup final to Liverpool. KK scoring 2. In his autobiography he says the way the Newcastle fans behaved that day played a huge part in why he signed for us in 82. I've just watched it on ESPN. Wow. Amazing fans

Actually remember the day as a friends 6th Birthday party.  All the black and white flags round our houses. They reckon Londoners thought Newcastle had won when they saw the fans outside. Also remember being at St James for the return , ( without the cup :()

In the end, I think the win didn't matter, but we could have still went down had we lost and other results went against us. Am sure there will be some old timers who were there that day.

I was there for the Pompey game the week before, when Ned Kelly scored the winner. Was bedlam in the Scoreboard when the ball hit the net As magnificent an experience of celebrating a goal being scored as I've had in 30 odd years of following this lot. :coolsmiley:

Those games v Pompey and Leicester are easily among my most memorable games. The sheer relief after Kellys goal v Pompey and especially after the Leicester game was immense. I was resigned to us playing 3rd tier football after that season. If we survived at all.

1984 Huddersfield Town (a) 2-2 (2-2)

Division Two

77pts, 3rd

Beardsley(41), Mills(45)

Cooper(22), og(Carney)(26)

48 hours after beating Derby County at SJP, our promotion was mathematically assured after this Bank Holiday Monday game.

With Kevin Keegan missing due to injury, United found themselves two goals behind before Peter Beardsley took over. Hammering home a 20 yard effort to reduce the arrears, he then set up David Mills to level - with John Anderson having seen his effort mysteriously ruled out in between times.

Clad in their silver strips, Newcastle were unable to produce a second half winner, but that didn't matter to the Geordie hordes that had taken over Leeds Road and invaded the pitch at full time.

Great atmosphere i'm led to believe?

1984 Huddersfield Town (a) 2-2 (2-2)

Division Two

77pts, 3rd

Beardsley(41), Mills(45)

Cooper(22), og(Carney)(26)

48 hours after beating Derby County at SJP, our promotion was mathematically assured after this Bank Holiday Monday game.

With Kevin Keegan missing due to injury, United found themselves two goals behind before Peter Beardsley took over. Hammering home a 20 yard effort to reduce the arrears, he then set up David Mills to level - with John Anderson having seen his effort mysteriously ruled out in between times.

Clad in their silver strips, Newcastle were unable to produce a second half winner, but that didn't matter to the Geordie hordes that had taken over Leeds Road and invaded the pitch at full time.

Great atmosphere i'm led to believe?

An amazing day, think we had both ends of the ground and half of one side. Watched the second half hanging from the scoreboard. just got onto the corner of the pitch at the end.