Manchester City 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 19/11/11 - post-match reaction from p41

Dave

"But Newcastle can hold their heads up - they've had a great start. I know people will go 'it's their first test'; it isn't their first test, because Newcastle - no disrespect - are not a great team so every game they play is a test, in my opinion."

:lol: :lol:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/7317824/City-streets-ahead

Merson once rang my mate up at William Hill and asked to place a bet on a sporting even that had occured 3 years earlier. He'd been watching the 2005 PGA Championship, perhaps oblivious to the fact it was 2008.

Just got home.

Plenty of positives to take from that today - Ben Arfa and Sammy in particular going forward. Hatem's touch was noticeably better today than it has been in his home sub appearances. Jonas was a little anonymous, but still thought he ran hard.

Colo, Saylor and Simpson all solid enough, although Saylor did his best to give Colo a matching broken nose in the second half. Raylor at fault big time today, however, refuse to be too hard on him given the contribution he has made so far this season. My head says Pardew should use it as excuse to bring in Santon, however, part of me thinks it would be harsh and could destroy the blokes confidence - a difficult situation for AP to deal with.

Krul made some good saves but kicking was piss poor all day - when you are playing with just Ba upfront you have to be putting everything on his head. Too much was going towards Ben Arfa in the air today, even when kicking from his hands, meaning Kompany and Lescott could clean up. Something to work on.

We didn't disgrace ourselves by any stretch of the imagination and it was to our credit that we kept going right until the end. Came out second half and had a go at them. To get anything from City this year you have to play well, get a bit of luck and not make mistakes. Unfortunately for us we shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times and didn't get the rub of the green. That said you got the feeling that City could have stepped it up a gear if need be.

They brought on Adam Johnson, Gareth Barry and David Silva (arguably the best player in the league at the moment in my opinion). We brought on Gosling, Lovenkrands and Perch - that just illustrates the gulf in class.

As for the crowd trouble, not good from our lot i'm afraid. I was stood right on the end of the row next to the city fans. There was some half decent banter in the first half, although they were obsessed with singing songs about us getting crowds of 10 thousand which I couldn't work out! They were clearly mongs, however, someone from our side chucked what looked like a some sort of banger across. That exploded and it all kicked off from there. Coins and bottles coming from their lot and a few chairs flying across from our side. Not good at all. Further towards the front both sides were trying to get at each other, with the police and security guards forming a barrier. A fair few chucked out from our side and a decent number, including couples and parents with kids, got out of their straight away.

Good post. Did the stewards nab the knob who threw the firework?

Gutted to taste the first defeat in yonks but overall happy with the way we had a go.

At times it looked as though we were playing footballs equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters (guess we were tbf).

Hard to have too much of a moan given most ran there legs off.

However.... We need to resolve this Jonas problem as his attacking game had all but disappeared of late. If Pardew doesn't trust Rtaylor to defend then we need to start Santon.

Sammi did ok, a tad careless at times but overall a good taste for him.

Can't see Ben Arfa and Ba working and for me, I would stick with Ba and Best and find a place for Ben Arfa on the wing.

With regard to Ben Arfa, seemed to keep it simpler than previous and showed some nice moves. Seemed to lose possession quite a bit at first and annoying that he was constantly standing around when possession was lost. Whether we are a team that can afford to have a defensive passenger I'm not sure?

Look forward to Man U hopefully with Tiote and Best back and wing options.

"But Newcastle can hold their heads up - they've had a great start. I know people will go 'it's their first test'; it isn't their first test, because Newcastle - no disrespect - are not a great team so every game they play is a test, in my opinion."

Fucking horrible thick drunkard twat.

f***ing horrible thick drunkard t***.

The stuff he says about man city resting players and that is bullshit. Of the players they brought on only Silva is a guaranteed starter normally. Whereas we were missing 3 first team regulars.

Guest Benarfanufc10

Gutted to taste the first defeat in yonks but overall happy with the way we had a go.

At times it looked as though we were playing footballs equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters (guess we were tbf).

However.... We need to resolve this Jonas problem as his attacking game had all but disappeared of late. If Pardew doesn't trust Rtaylor to defend then we need to start Santon.

Can't see Ben Arfa and Ba working and for me, I would stick with Ba and Best and find a place for Ben Arfa on the wing.

With regard to Ben Arfa, seemed to keep it simpler than previous and showed some nice moves. Seemed to lose possession quite a bit at first and annoying that he was constantly standing around when possession was lost. Whether we are a team that can afford to have a defensive passenger I'm not sure?

i propose give ben arfa  arsenal or mu  :idiot2: he is a virus :whistle:

I don't think anyone really expected to get anything from this match but I'm glad we went there and after the first 20 minutes or so had a go at them.  We definitely created some chances which was nice and it was mostly individual errors that cost us today.

On to next weekend.

Guest Haris Vuckic

i propose give ben arfa  arsenal or mu  :idiot2: he is a virus :whistle:

I propose hitting Christmas Tree on the head with a spanner.

For one thing, I don't think Ba holds the ball up well enough to bring HBA into play through that route.

HBA would work best with Best. But since we can't drop Ba, RW is the only place for him imo. Let him do what he basically did today from a wider area.

Why are so many people convinced Ben Arfa and Ba won't work?  They linked up alright today didn't they when they had the chance?  Don't understand it.

I'm not convinced it wont work at all, btw, I think it can. But I agree with Ronaldo in that our best team at the moment has Best, Ba and Ben Arfa in it.

Ba was alright holding it up today after the first twenty mins.  Plus we shouldn't be relying on hoofed balls upfront this season especially at home, no reason why we can't work the ball forward.

I'd rather stick Ben Arfa in his preferred position, which is also his best IMO.

For one thing, I don't think Ba holds the ball up well enough to bring HBA into play through that route.

HBA would work best with Best. But since we can't drop Ba, RW is the only place for him imo. Let him do what he basically did today from a wider area.

This is completely my way of thinking. Ba's miles better at the support play than he is at playing the centre-forward.

I would play Best when he's fit, especially away from home, but you can't drop Ba. If Ben Arfa's being stubborn about playing in midfield then i think it's just tough - he'll have to settle for the bench, cos B+B have been our best partnership so far this season. There's a place for Hatem down the right, no doubt about it.

I'm happy for it to be tried and be proven wrong, but i can't see it happening.

Think HBA on the right would take away most of the things he was good at today. As a stop-gap then yeah play him there, but not for the long term.

Ba and HBA looked really good at times today.

This is completely my way of thinking. Ba's miles better at the support play than he is at playing the centre-forward.

I would play Best when he's fit, especially away from home, but you can't drop Ba. If Ben Arfa's being stubborn about playing in midfield then i think it's just tough - he'll have to settle for the bench, cos B+B have been our best partnership so far this season. There's a place for Hatem down the right, no doubt about it.

Best and Ba has been our best partnership because they've played the most though and we haven't really seen Ba and Ben Arfa yet, except today, where they linked up well.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I very  much doubt Ben Arfa is stubborn about playing wide. He was asking Pardew why Sammy was selected ahead of him to come on for Marveaux at Everton- he'll play anywhere. He wants to be on the pitch.

Best and Ba has been our best partnership because they've played the most though and we haven't really seen Ba and Ben Arfa yet, except today, where they linked up well.

They linked up well twice.

I know it was Man City, who are pretty mean, but i don't remember them linking up terribly well. There was the one chance in the first half where HBA found a good pass through - which was hugely encouraging granted.

Problem with my way of thinking is that i know what works and am hesitant to change. Good thing i'm not a manager cos i don't got the balls.

Against the best team in the league, not bad, especially considering 9 times out of 10 Ba would've finished his chance.  Best and Ba have both played well individually but they've hardly linked up in about ten games.  I'm not expecting one-twos into the box but I've hardly ever seen Best put Ba through or vice-versa, like Ba and HBA today.